PDA

View Full Version : Eyes - Eyelids/liquid glint.

neurobound
11-20-2002, 12:34 PM
This is one thing I haven't been able to find a satisfactory solution for.

Eyes. I'm referring mainly to how the eyelids wrap around the eyeball. Also, the subtle bit of liquid that rests between the eyeball/eyelid.

What do you feel is the best method to go about doing these things efficiently? I've considered making a transparent extentions from the eyelids themselves that project directly 'into' the eyeyball. Although, I'm concerned with this being somewhat obvious upon close inspection.

The other issue I'm not sure how to solve is that of keeping the eyelids themselves properly wrapped around the eyeballs.

I've experimented with using spherical displacements to automatically push the eyelid out. This does work, though I'm not completely satisfied with it. The problem is that it isn't very precise, at least how I've been doing it. Either theres rediculous interpenetrations, or an undesireable gap where the eye/eyelid meet. After that's said and done, the plan was to use morphing to control the open/close motion of the lids.

I'd really appreciate hearing some of your techniques/solutions to this delicate area of the face.

I'm posting in this area (rigging) because this is primarily a rigging issue to me. I can get things to look fine for a still image - I can probably brute-force it to look pretty nice for an animation, but I'm looking for more elegant methods to make it practical for detailed animation - For relative ease in a production.

I've been impressed with the results I've seen in others work. I'm not necessarily asking for something revolutionary, I'm just a bit curious as to how some of you are handling this.

Some of the images containing eyes are excellent - though I'm referring to stills I've seen. I wonder how well they hold up when animated? Also, the close-up shots of the eyes in Final Fantasy (movie) were excellent. I'd like to get a better understanding of how something like that was achieved.

I'm using 3ds max 5 - though I'm sure our techniques can be shared across platforms.

Any contributions to this thread are appreciated,

thank you,
.neurobound

Bennels
11-20-2002, 01:15 PM
This is one area that has always baffled me, I will be very keen to hear the responses made.

I've had several ideas on how to do simulate the liquid welling up in the eye yet they've never got past the 'hey that might work stage.'

Can't wait to hear some ideas/techniques on this one.

sp0rk3d
11-23-2002, 11:48 PM
as far as opening and closeing or animating the eye goes i have allways used 5 clusters for each eye lid (top and bottom)... then moved there center pivots to the center of the eyeball then linked through direct connection or SDK to attributes on the eye controls.... assuming you have shpereical eyes then that should not have any problem getting the eye shapes you want without intersecting any eye geomitry... 10 controls for each eye can be a lot but that is what SDK's and blendweighted nodes are for.. :) hope that helps a little...

PS. never tried to get the water build up in the eye, but if you make it with geomitry yuo can weight it with the clusters...

neurobound
11-24-2002, 07:16 AM
Rotating a group of verts from the center of the eye - interesting. I haven't tried doing that yet. The eyes I have in mind aren't perfect spheres, however - its still something to consider.

thanks for reply.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 06:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.