PDA

View Full Version : First female character. C+C needed, especially on mesh

SupRore
11-19-2005, 06:12 PM
This is my first attempt to model a female. Concept is based around a UT2003/4 character.

Rather incomplete, but I could really use some critiques on what i have of the mesh.
http://tinypic.com/fvz6e9.jpg
http://tinypic.com/fvz6t2.jpg

Made in 3dsm7.
1100 polys so far on Emesh.

Slythis
11-20-2005, 06:53 AM
so far everything looks good, the shape is nice, and has a good style, only real crit so far is on the mesh where the legs join the hip, your pulling a couple polies up, you should problably clean that and make it flow more nicely into the hip. Otherwise great work so far man, can't wait to see the rest.

SupRore
11-21-2005, 03:51 AM
Small update, of dubious quality. :shrug:
http://tinypic.com/fxh2qw.jpg
C+C needed even more, now.

Far more. :sad: I'm fairly convinced the torso (armor)'s a mess; any critiques/suggesions on ways to fix it?

nibbuls
11-22-2005, 01:33 AM
I assume you want the armor to follow the contours of the breast... If I'm right, then instead of cutting out the breast from the chest, use half of a sphere and attach it to the torso.

It looks as if you're having a difficult time with the meshflow (Maybe it's just too early to comment on that'n). Are you following a reference?

Augh
11-22-2005, 07:54 AM
Armour; To misquote an awesome chara artist known as b1ll; Any and all polys which aren't giving form to your model, you can afford to ditch completely. The mesh is pretty dense all around the torso area especially in terms of vertical edges, so you might look at what you can afford to dump off there. As to the shape, the breastplate seems ok to me, maybe a little vague but no problems I don't have myself maybe too much to really be able to see hehe.

Shoulders! Don't wanna seem harsh but the shoulders are really odd to me atm. I'd recommend some photo reference here (but everyone should really use it everywhere hmm? ;) ), try and pay attention to the way the muscle flows down off the shoulder onto the upper arm, and how the biceps and triceps insert at the same area. This should help a lot, helps me. We can't always get all of those details 100% modeled out with low poly, but a solid understanding of the shapes and forms, the what and why, is definitely key to getting the right effect at a lower detail level.

Keep it up dude :thumbsup:

Janzer
11-23-2005, 07:10 AM
Just curious, but do you have any character sketches for reference we can see? Sorry, I'm pretty much in the habit of working from loads of reference, the more prep for me, the better things usually go. The topology on the butt looks pretty good, but you are right, the chest is way heavy, and massively gridlike. I agree with what has been said, if there is no purpose, or it is not adding to, then get rid of it, in reference to the additional topology on the chest. That should help to smooth things out for you. Keep up the work. I'd love to see those reference drawings.

SupRore
11-25-2005, 12:45 AM
I'd love to see those reference drawings.

Since it's based on a UT2003 character, i'm using a few (untextured, skylight) orthographic renders of the UT2003 model as my concept art. None of it's mesh, of course.

CGTalk Moderation
11-25-2005, 12:45 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.