PDA

View Full Version : Maxwell Render v1.0 delayed

nycL45
11-19-2005, 12:48 PM
M~R delivery has been delayed until "next month, December", per NL email dated 19.11.05.

Better baked than half-baked.

Other3DMaster
11-19-2005, 01:47 PM
Uggh... well at least we get a Release Candidate next week... otherwise there would have been a riot!!! :D

anibalin
11-19-2005, 02:53 PM
why im not surprised.

lllab
11-21-2005, 09:07 AM
:-) i should have made a bet.

i was 100% sure they would delay it!
well at least we get something- at least i hope that. it still could happen that there is no c4d plugin ready;-)

well lets see tomorrow.

cheers
stefan

Primitiv
11-22-2005, 12:34 AM
Any of you feel that Maxwell Render looks like a Strata rendering engine but only slower?

STRAT
11-22-2005, 07:52 AM
i think quality wise Maxwell might very well leave the rest behind, (maybe even nearing the mighty LightScape's quallity), but it'll be interesting to see how the production bundle differs in speed to the test version.

at the mo, Maxwell isn't anywhere near usable for deadlines and production work, and unless it has a MASSIVE leap in it's render times then it'll remain un-usable in this respect. (and by massive i mean well over 50% faster)

all my opinion of course :)

funny these delays though. maxon's AR, vray, FR2, Maxwell etc etc all in the same boat. quite the norm.

[edit] again, all imo [edit]

Per-Anders
11-22-2005, 08:01 AM
what "Maxons AR" delay?

STRAT
11-22-2005, 08:03 AM
the next one ;) (which, imo, should have been this current one considering known rendering faults that were pointed out to maxon well over a year ago, but were ignored)

Per-Anders
11-22-2005, 08:11 AM
Sorry, but did they announce a new version anywhere? How is it delayed? You already know the next update's features?

The "render faults"? Ah yes i see, big bad old Maxon eh? So evily not fixing things pointed out years ago. tsk tsk, there are no other areas of the software that need work it's true. Yes I can see you have been totally ripped off as a user, as it was all hidden from you by Maxon how faulty the software was, indeed the rate of change and development in the world and progression in other rendering solutions produced by teams dedicated to the single solution has no bearing on such a thing, those are frankly base faults from the get go. yes indeed.

STRAT
11-22-2005, 08:13 AM
m8, calm down :) it's only an opinion i have, which doesn't mean a hill of beans to many anyway. and other than the odd fault (which we can all find faults) i love the program. wouldnt choose another. no need to get all defensive dude, doesnt mean anything :)

Per-Anders
11-22-2005, 08:35 AM
I'm sorry, but that's not really stated as an oppinion, it's being paraded as fact, it's more misinformation.

STRAT
11-22-2005, 08:39 AM
i'm usually a stickler for the 'imo' tag, but i put it the wrong side of that statement. i'll edit another in :)

Srek
11-22-2005, 08:42 AM
m8, calm down :) it's only an opinion i have, which doesn't mean a hill of beans to many anyway. and other than the odd fault (which we can all find faults) i love the program. wouldnt choose another. no need to get all defensive dude, doesnt mean anything :)

It's just that things like this got stuck in the heads of people and in a few days noone remembers that it is only you personal opinion and that there was no real delay on anything. This is exactly how rumours and bad opinions are beeing formed by people who do not make their own experience but rely on others writings.

Cheers
Björn

STRAT
11-22-2005, 09:20 AM
ok, well in light of that i surely appoligise for the method in which i aired my opinion. perhaps it's wise these last postings are deleted and i take out the AR reference in my original post?

Srek
11-22-2005, 09:28 AM
ok, well in light of that i surely appoligise for the method in which i aired my opinion. perhaps it's wise these last postings are deleted and i take out the AR reference in my original post?

If you are ok with it i would very much prefer to simply leave it as it is. Maybe our short discussion will help others to understand what is happening sometimes :)

Cheers
Björn

STRAT
11-22-2005, 09:32 AM
no probs, whatever you feel best. i just hope this thread doesn't turn out into an argument related to this issue.

Byla
11-22-2005, 10:58 AM
what, is AR delayed or what?:p

maxwell seems capabale, but until production tested, noone can say what is it capable of.

Ernest Burden
11-22-2005, 01:33 PM
Sorry, but did they announce a new version anywhere? How is it delayed? You already know the next update's features?

The "render faults"? Ah yes i see, big bad old Maxon eh? So evily not fixing things pointed out years ago. tsk tsk, there are no other areas of the software that need work it's true. Yes I can see you have been totally ripped off as a user, as it was all hidden from you by Maxon

STRAT has appologised, now it's your turn. The nastiness of your sarcasm is not called for. How about we adopt a policy of "to Maxon neither an attacker nor an appologist be"?

With AR--nothing was promised and some things were delivered, so we are ahead. However, there were many people expressing disappointment at a properly-named .5 update of the engine. Some of us had hoped and expected a full feature update to AR3, which did not happen. If a 'thing not fixed pointed out years ago' is a problem severely impacting GI animation, which some of us do for our living, then it's appropriate to be upset.

Maxon produces among the most stable and all-around useful software of any company serving our community. It is well supported and a good value for the money. And the day users are not actively calling for new, faster, better features that they need yesterday is the day that Maxon is effectively extinct.

Per-Anders
11-22-2005, 08:16 PM
For my part as an individual and forum leader I apologize to Strat, it was a wrong tack to take on my part. So Strat, I'm sorry.

Ernest, I'm a freelancer who works for himself developing plugins and on medical visualisation for others and uses C4D and others to facilitate that work. I'm also a user of these forums and a forum leader here and I'm tired of the misinformation that's being spread around. I see no reason why I shouldn’t defend Maxon in light of that, it seems what you really want is “to Maxon do not a defender be” I’ve seen enough attacking “in the name of (un)reason” to be quite tired of it, and if we instituted a “to Maxon neither an attacker nor defender be” policy then that would severely constrict how useful these forums would be.

I’m not asking for people to not say when they’re happy or unhappy with some part of the software, or even how Maxon is, if Maxon have done them badly then it should be heard, but it needs to be real fact, not fiction, not rumour, not I heard this did this to someone else, if you want to post that it has to be rock solid, not misinformation. If you post misinformation or heresay about Maxon then you should be prepared to be questioned on it’s veracity and have Maxon/your “statement” defended/attacked. That’s life on a forum, and that’s fairness. As a forum leader I will be on the side of “facts” rather than opinion wherever possible, as a user I am free to voice my opinion, and have it blasted down if needs be.

I see a constant stream of discourtesy towards Maxon and yet also of people asking for Maxon to apologise including obliquely yourself just here... for what though? Real examples are needed, not "something I heard" or "I'm sure I saw it somewhere" or “I didn’t get what I wanted”. Which leads to...

If people are disappointed that they released an update at all then in my opinion the issue is theirs, not Maxons. What you may consider to be the single feature that's holding your back is not always going to be a focus, sorry but that's just the way it is there just aren't unlimited resources for any development. This isn't just application wide, this is module specific, certain things are prioritized, sometimes they're not the things that you would want, that's just life, you can't work on "what might be tomorrow", or even "what should be tomorrow" you have to deal with "what's here today".

I can understand people going "aw shucks" or "damnit, I'd really hoped that would be sorted by now", even "this ****ing sucks, I'm off to use Max" when things don't go your way heck that's human behaviour, but when it's "Maxon should apologise to all it's users", or blatant lies just tirades of misconception and misinformation after the other and a bunch of sycophantic me-too-ism it just gets that little bit (a lot) too much.

There is a world of difference betwen customers "asking for new features" and customers blaming the company for their every personal failing, and spreading misinformation, slander, and oppinion as fact. Between constructive criticism and constant bitching and general low grade hatred that I am seeing on these forums towards Maxon. Maybe this is simply a case of lack of education on the issues involved amongst the userbase in conjunction with spurious rumours feeding the fire, maybe it's something deeper. I constantly see people stating one way or another how Maxon are discourteous, Maxon are disrespectful, Maxon are delaying things, Maxon are this and that and the other, and I've yet to see a single realworld example to back up anything that's been said, but it's gone into the collective subconsience here and it's not making this place or the comments here useful to anyone, least of all Maxon.

dann_stubbs
11-22-2005, 10:36 PM
I see no reason why I shouldn’t defend Maxon in light of that,

i think what i see is that due to you inside information that comes from your status with maxon - you know these facts that are obviously an irritant to the users who have no way of knowing.

so to me this maybe means maxon needs to be a little more informative to help stop the "mob" type information spreading.

it is sort of like what is happening to maxwell - except they DID make public promises and are not keeping them. i went to their forum today to see what the status was of the promises FC and it is just a bunch of angry people with NL banning anybody who says anything they don't like.

i think there has been a big change in how information is expected to flow since the internet has become a part of our everyday life. so the frustration that i think many users are feeling is just frustration at the lack or inability to find or learn any information on a topic that is close to them emotionally or financially or both.

it seems Vray and a few other companies have been very open about their plans and as long as keeping "honest" with feedback - even FR did great until the last couple weeks and i think had they simply said - just give us another week or two due to unforseen issues people really wouldn't have been so upset - of course the endless false promises of NL are quite different from that situation. but as for Vray and others like that it seems to not be biting them too bad. of course i've not followed them exhaustievly but maybe this is a sign of the times? yes, there will always be a few who gripe about everything - but when the people griping are some of the demographic that is desirable to the company then maybe there needs to be some sort of a change in policy? (like if all gripes are just warez kiddies carping about a free demo or cheaper educational pricing etc is one side - but if it is paying professionals that are the desired area, then maybe it should be listened to different?)

just thinking out loud... i read an article today on windows turning 20 years old and it is quite suprising how much microsoft has changed and evolved against their sometimes previous stances - which obviously benefited them to listen and evolve with the times.

dann

Ernest Burden
11-22-2005, 10:53 PM
I see no reason why I shouldn’t defend Maxon in light of that, it seems what you really want is “to Maxon do not a defender be”

be a critic, be a defender
“to Maxon neither an attacker nor appologist be” neither are pure of heart, or useful.

All STRAT said was that he included AR in the 'late' products. I guess he hit a sore spot with you.

If people are disappointed that they released an update at all then in my opinion the issue is theirs, not Maxons. What you may consider to be the single feature that's holding your back is not always going to be a focus, sorry but that's just the way it is there just aren't unlimited resources for any development.

I'm quite guilty of making a few things I want to be fixed/updated seem as if they're the only thing worth attention. I still feel that way when they are rendering issues. Those of us that make a living with Cinema almost exclusively do so with rendered images. So an issue with the rendered output is a mission-critical issue. See, I can't let go of it. Guilty, guilty, guilty.

For some reason this thread is making me desperate for a cup of coffee.

nycL45
11-23-2005, 12:37 AM
How about everyone trying to soften the tone/attitude? It get's too hot too quickly and nothing said warrants going ballistic. Before getting angry, ask for a clarification to make sure your understanding of what was said is correct and that was indeed the other guy's intention. And if one still disagrees, say so calmly. It really gets bi _ _ hy around here, its not constructive and who needs it.

howzit
11-23-2005, 09:55 AM

where is maxwell render?

CGTalk Moderation
11-23-2005, 09:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.