PDA

View Full Version : hard edge help

AlexanderDavidKolakowski
11-19-2005, 02:06 AM
hello, I've got my character nearly completely textured but I"m having a problem with a few hard edges in the hair. I've extruded edges for the bangs from the model of the head but I can't get rid of the hard edges that are created at the base of the bangs. I've tried softening normals but it isnt helping at all.any one have any possible solutions? thanks for reading

LehaS
11-19-2005, 07:38 AM
I assume you already checked it but still....Did you check if you have any overlaping vertecies on those edges?....maybe you have several edges stucked together....? Merge and Soften/Harden should solve the problem...

AlexanderDavidKolakowski
11-19-2005, 08:07 PM
THanks man. I just checked that actually. no luck.

AlphaJoe
11-19-2005, 11:40 PM
Make sure your normals haven't gotten flipped on the extruded faces. Also, turn on border edges in your custom polygon display and make sure that one does not exist in those areas.

YourDaftPunk
11-20-2005, 03:19 AM
Do this in order:

1) Edit Polygons>Normals>Set Vertex Normal and check Unlock Normals.
2) Then Set Normals to Face.
3) Then Poly Soften your normals.

Should work then and if it doesn't your geometry is bad and we will fix that.

-shawn

AlexanderDavidKolakowski
11-22-2005, 12:39 AM
hey that worked perfectly thanks bro

YourDaftPunk
11-22-2005, 03:06 AM
No prob. Maya has a habit of hardening and softening stuff when you least expect. Normals also get locked sometimes when you import stuff.

CGTalk Moderation
11-22-2005, 03:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.