PDA

View Full Version : Exporting to Photoshop

blaqDeaph
11-19-2005, 01:07 AM
Hi,

I have Corel Painter Essentials 2, and I need to export the file that I'm working on to Photoshop, however, I would like to retain the layers that I'm working with.

Short of saving each layer as a BMP and reimporting them individually, is there any better way to do that?

Jinbrown
11-19-2005, 02:00 AM
Hi,

I don't have Painter Essentials 2 but do have Painter Essentials 3 and can only guess this will work the same:

First save your file in RIFF format so you'll have it intact if anything goes wrong.

Then use File > Save As to save in PSD format (Photoshop's native format).

Providing there's nothing Painter Essentials 2-specific in your image, the image should carry over to Photoshop just fine.

However, if there is anything that's Painter Essentials 2-specific in your image, it won't carry over to Photoshop. For instance:

Wet Digital Watercolor paint will be dried.

Text Layers will be standard Layers and no longer editable when you open the file again in Painter Essentials 2.

Brushstrokes made with Impasto (i.e. Artist's Oils' Thick Wet Impasto variant) can't be edited using the Artist's Oils' Impasto Palette Knife when the file is opened again in Painter Essentials 2. In other words, when you paint over a Thick Wet Impasto brushstroke using the Impasto Palette Knife there will be no effect. If the file were saved in RIFF format, you'd still be able to smear the Thick Wet Impasto brushstroke using the Impasto Palette Knife variant.

Those are only three examples and no doubt there's more Painter Essentials 2-specific information that will be lost when the file is saved in PSD format and opened again in Painter Essentials 2.

If you keep things very simple, it should work but you'll need to test things to be sure what will carry over to Photoshop and back again... safely.

Again, always save your file in Painter's native RIFF format before saving it in another format so you won't lose anything important.

Good luck!

Philippec
11-22-2005, 07:45 PM
I have Corel Painter Essentials 2, and I need to export the file that I'm working on to Photoshop, however, I would like to retain the layers that I'm working with.

Painter Essentials 2 cannot save as Photoshop. That feature is in the full Painter version (8 or 9) and in Painter Essentials 3.

blaqDeaph
11-23-2005, 05:44 AM
Painter Essentials 2 cannot save as Photoshop. That feature is in the full Painter version (8 or 9) and in Painter Essentials 3.

Cool thanks for the advice. Looks like I'll have to upgrade.

CGTalk Moderation
11-23-2005, 05:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.