PDA

View Full Version : acoustic guitar modeling tutorial

mlanser
11-18-2005, 05:04 PM
hi everyone.

the last days i was thinking about modeling my guitar in c4d and also thought 'when i gonna create that, i can take screenshots all the time and write down what i did' to make a tutorial out of this and let you take part in it. ;-)

by now this is completely without textures, just the model itself, but i hope you like it nevertheless. hope i can add the texturing part in the next few days.

please tell me what do you think! and since i would consider myself still a beginner, please let me know if you have some techniques to create some parts more easily.

http://www.markuslanser.com/tutorials/c4d_acoustic_guitar81.png

hope you like and enjoy it.
http://www.markuslanser.com/tutorials/c4d_acoustic_guitar.html

Markus

c-montesano
11-19-2005, 01:50 PM
That is pretty thorough. Good job. =)

I like the way you did the machine heads.

I have a couple of suggestions.
The neck heel might be more easily done with a bend deformer. The fretboard would have to be separate though.
There are a few hard edges in need of beveling, and the soundhole needs some thickness.

Other than that I think it is a pretty good tut.

Thanks for sharing. =)

-Chris

mlanser
11-19-2005, 04:32 PM
thanks for the reply, chris.

yeah, i have tried some other techniques to get the neck heel done in a more easier way, mostly because i wanted to get all parts of the guitar out of some other parts with some boole operations etc. but that didn't work. but bending is something that i haven't tried yet - i'm gonna check this out.

you are right with the soundhole - i'll fix that. should be done with some extruding.

the head has a few hard edges. i was thinking of keeping at least that part relatively simple. but i think it wouldn't be much heavier to do some bevel operations and to create some additional points to get smoother curves.

thanks for your ideas. i'll definitely try them out. hope to come back with that in the next time. ;)

Markus

Primitiv
11-20-2005, 12:37 AM
Nice tutorial. I would point though that if you can find a way to do something without having to use booleans, it is always a better solution. It will make a difference later in animation (like when using deformers) and even texturing. It might not seem to make a difference with your guitar, but learning good working habits will help you to develop good skills.

mlanser
11-21-2005, 10:03 AM
primitiv: good point. will try to include that in further tuts. thank you

cgdude
11-23-2005, 03:14 PM
great tut. thanks for posting. will try out both tonight!

mlanser
12-02-2005, 05:21 PM
hi again.

i am done with the texturing on this tutorial. i wasn't yet able to put the bevel optimizaions on it, but that will follow in the next time.

bye

http://www.markuslanser.com/tutorials/acoustic_guitar01web.png

c-montesano
12-03-2005, 12:32 PM
Great job texturing. Looks good. =)

-Chris

CGTalk Moderation
12-03-2005, 12:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.