PDA

View Full Version : Industrial Design Forum

durbdk
11-18-2005, 04:18 PM
I've posted this before, but thought I'd rehash it. many of us on this board are product designers and architects by trade; we work technically. Technical design is a different creature from what is normally covered here, and support is sorely needed for those of us in this field. I am a student, soon to be finished, and I still haven't found any truely excellent ID forums online; I feel CGTalk networks could contribute a lot, and with the membership here, it would certainly be a successful forum.

So, to the powers that be, I ask for an Industrial Design/Technical design forum to be started.

And to the users reading this post, what do you think, should we have this forum added?

Hope this makes an impression, if not, I'll repost in a few months...again. :)

arquebus
11-19-2005, 10:22 PM
I also posted this idea here a while back:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=269824

CG is being used for corperate, industrial and architechtural presentations now more than ever. Its no longer just being overlooked on this forum but really blatently ignored. Many other cg forums showcase industrial demonstrations along side the "pure art", I dont see why this forum doesnt. A lot industrial cg artists use artistic apps like Maya and 3Dsmax over design oriented apps like SolidWorks or Studio Tools because they know that bosses and clients are as impressed by flashy eye candy as much as technical accuracy. So yes, this is long overdue for this forum.

durbdk
11-19-2005, 11:41 PM
Here's hoping.... :thumbsup:

fvalicenti
11-20-2005, 12:04 AM
im with you, where do you people study? id like to know what industrial design is like in other countries, here (argentina) basically we have subjects like morphology 1 through 3, industrial design 1-4, technology 1-4, physics 1-3 math 1-2, ergonomics (dont know if thats how you would call it) some design history like subjects, some market oriented subjects.
basically the product oriented subjects like ID what we do is come up with actual products from scratch up to the finished model, or a working prototype in some cases, morphology is basically playing with shapes and modifying them following a specifical criteria, then thats made nito a model.
this is, in a very loose and quick way, what studying industrial design is here, maybe later i can get into some other subjects, like computer based design (though we all know about that), heuristics, aestethics, design-applyed sociology, and some others.
well id like to hear about your experience.

CGTalk Moderation
11-20-2005, 12:04 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.