PDA

View Full Version : Ten Films to Compete for Animated Feature Oscar

Mysterious X
11-18-2005, 11:30 AM
The Academy has announced today the short-list of the 10 films that will compete for the Best Animated Feature Film in the 2005 Academy Awards competition. And the films are:

Chicken Little, Gulliver's Travel (an IMAX 3D film), Hoodwinked, Howl's Moving Castle, Madagascar, Robots, Steamboy, Tim Burton's Corpse Bride, Valiant, Wallace & Gromit - The Curse of the Were-Rabbit.

The three nominated films will be announced on January 31, 2006. The awards will be presented on March 5, 2006. Previous winners of the Best Animated Feature Oscar are Shrek (2001), Spirited Away (2002), Finding Nemo (2003), The Incredibles (2004).
=======

I really hope Corpse's bride get the prize

ThomasMahler
11-18-2005, 12:00 PM
I'd say either Corpse Bride or Wallace and Gromit will make it.

SalmonGod
11-18-2005, 12:32 PM
Corpse Bride was one of the most visually beautiful things I've ever seen.... but it wasnt enough to make up for the story, which made me feel braindead

the concept was really interesting, but they didnt do anything interesting with it... and I really felt like they were struggling creatively to write a full length movie... I mean... it seemed like they had to sing an uninspired musical bit for several minutes every time one of the main characters blinked..... stalling... like... crazy

I was kind of disappointed with Howl's Moving Castle because I'm a huge Miyazaki fan, and that movie felt more Disney than Miyazaki in terms of the story (as soon as characters find out/admit they're in love all the world is suddenly set right in an instant... boring)... but the characters, environment, and presentation were still Miyazaki at his best and it was incredibly entertaining in that aspect... his concept of magic in that world was fantastically creative as well... really unlike anything I'd seen before

so if we're judging by prettiness then sure... Corpse Bride... but as far as storytelling goes (what it's really all about right?) Miyazaki is still unrivaled in my opinion

cJaynes
11-18-2005, 05:18 PM
Visually I think Robots did a great job even though the story.... yea well it was ok. But I think it has a shot

Nazirull
11-18-2005, 05:40 PM
Definitely Tim Burton's...no doubt wutsoever.......

fattyLees
11-18-2005, 05:58 PM
My vote is for Wallace and Gromit. It had a great story, smart humor, and was very refreshing.

Corpse bride looked cool and the animation was beautiful, but man that story stunk and was hard to follow at times.

I still haven't watched Robots yet ( I know, I know...), so I need to check that one out soon.

-Fatty

mangolass
11-18-2005, 08:05 PM
LOS ANGELES, Nov 17 (Reuters) - Computer-animated movies like "Madagascar" and "Chicken Little" dominated the animation style of 10 films named on Thursday for Oscar consideration, highlighting the shift to the new form of moviemaking. Hand-drawn Hollywood animation seems almost like a thing of the past as the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, which gives out the Oscars, put three more computer movies on its short list, two others using stop-motion and another two made in the Japanese hand-drawn style of anime.

Along with comedies "Madagascar" and "Chicken Little," the computer-generated movies making Oscar's list of 10 eligible films included "Robots," DreamWorks' "Valiant" and the upcoming Little Red Riding Hood spoof, "Hoodwinked."

"Tim Burton's Corpse Bride" and the British-made "Wallace and Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit," were the two movies on the list that use stop-motion animation and figurines. In stop-motion, each movement of a character is photographed frame by frame and the frames are then strung together to create the illusion of motion.

Japanese-made "Howl's Moving Castle" and "Steamboy" are the two anime films, and the final movie is India's "Gulliver's Travel," which has yet to screen in the United States. No details about the film were available.

The animated feature film category was introduced at the 2002 awards, and the contenders have been dominated by computer-animated fare. The last two winners, "The Incredibles" and "Finding Nemo" were made by Pixar Animation Studios (PIXR.O: Quote (http://www.investor.reuters.com/FullQuote.aspx?ticker=PIXR.O&target=%2fstocks%2fquickinfo%2ffullquote), Profile (http://www.investor.reuters.com/CompanyOverview.aspx?ticker=PIXR.O), Research (http://www.investor.reuters.com/StockReports.aspx?ticker=PIXR.O)) , which pioneered the genre. The California firm sat out 2005, but will be back next summer with "Cars."

A committee of animation experts picks the films that are eligible to compete for the feature animation Oscar.

Nominees for all Oscar categories will be announced on Jan. 31, with the winners unveiled during the 78th annual Academy Awards in Hollywood on March 5.

http://yahoo.reuters.com/financeQuoteCompanyNewsArticle.jhtml?duid=mtfh35368_2005-11-18_06-55-07_n18557479_newsml

(Comment: I'm not sure the article is accurate ~ I think the best animated feature film was already around in 2001 and Shrek won it then.)

LT

MCronin
11-18-2005, 08:12 PM
(Comment: I'm not sure the article is accurate ~ I think the best animated feature film was already around in 2001 and Shrek won it then.)

LT

Shrek was released in 2001, it won the oscar in 2002.

RobW720
11-18-2005, 08:44 PM
I think it should go to wallace and grommit. I enjoyed that movie the most out of all of them. each one was good in its own right, but that had the story, character, humor and all things good. corpse bride looked amazing and was well done but the music and the story were kinda dull. the rest were really well animated movies but not as powerful as the winners that have come before.

rebo
11-18-2005, 08:49 PM
Without a doubt wallace and Grommit, remember best animated feature isnt about the best graphics but about the best animated film overall.

Wallace and Gromit was top notch in every way.

mangolass
11-18-2005, 09:11 PM
OK ~ I guess when they say "the 2002 awards" they mean the academy awards for films from the year 2001. (I'd call the awards that will happen in March for the best animated feature of 2005 "the 2005 awards" but I guess I'm just not a professional writer.) Here are the winners so far:

2001 = Shrek
2002 = Spirited Away
2003 = Finding Nemo
2004 = The Incredibles

source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academy_Award_for_Best_Animated_Feature

LT

Kaszub
11-18-2005, 09:16 PM
LOS ANGELES, Nov 17 (Reuters) (...) The animated feature film category was introduced at the 2002 awards, and the contenders have been dominated by computer-animated fare. The last two winners, "The Incredibles" and "Finding Nemo" were made by Pixar Animation Studios (PIXR.O: Quote (http://www.investor.reuters.com/FullQuote.aspx?ticker=PIXR.O&target=%2fstocks%2fquickinfo%2ffullquote), Profile (http://www.investor.reuters.com/CompanyOverview.aspx?ticker=PIXR.O), Research (http://www.investor.reuters.com/StockReports.aspx?ticker=PIXR.O)) , which pioneered the genre. The California firm sat out 2005, but will be back next summer with "Cars."

Hehe - so much education recently and all for nothing ;) Brad Bird would be very unhappy reading that (his mantra: "Animation is not a genre!!!") ;)

stickyblue
11-19-2005, 03:48 AM
?!!?!?!?!??! " Hoodwinked " ?!?!?!?!?!?

is this a joke ??

please , somebody say yes

theBIGmack60
11-19-2005, 06:02 PM
i never even heard about hoodwinked till is saw this thread, so i checked it out, and i am shocked...nominated for an oscer?

It looks like its filled with popculture jokes and celebrity voices. *cough* SHREK 2 *cough*.

Is it just me, or does the animation feel awkwardly stiff, as well as the lip sync. Maybe its stylized, i dunno... it doesn't look promising.

vrljc
11-19-2005, 11:34 PM
i never even heard about hoodwinked till is saw this thread, so i checked it out, and i am shocked...nominated for an oscer?

Don't freak out yet. This is only the short list. They will only nominate 3 of the 10 films on the list.

The three nominated films will be announced on January 31, 2006.

I am going for W&G, Corpse bride, and oh of course *cough* Robots. May the best win in March.

leigh
11-19-2005, 11:38 PM
I hope it goes to Wallace And Gromit!

And remember people - this is the list for the bake-off. These aren't all final nominees.

Boone
11-20-2005, 05:33 PM
I'd say Howls Moving Castle or Were Rabbit. My personal favourite out of those two was HMC, but W&G had a clearer plot and story - so from a stand point of reason I would go with W&G.

RPM = "Rabbits per minute"! :applause:

jeremybirn
11-20-2005, 08:11 PM
I'd say Howls Moving Castle or Were Rabbit. My personal favourite out of those two was HMC, but W&G had a clearer plot and story - so from a stand point of reason I would go with W&G.
Spirited Away just won in 2002. With Miyazaki having won recently, and no Best Animated Feature for anything stop motion yet, it would make sense for people to vote for W&G this time. In fact, if they need to nominate only 3, and are expected to include Madagascar and Chicken Little, it'll be interesting to see who doesn't get a nomination.

Along with comedies "Madagascar" and "Chicken Little," the computer-generated movies making Oscar's list of 10 eligible films included "Robots," DreamWorks' "Valiant" and the upcoming Little Red Riding Hood spoof, "Hoodwinked."
Was Valiant (http://disney.go.com/disneypictures/valiant/) really from DreamWorks? :curious:

-jeremy

Boone
11-20-2005, 10:44 PM
Re: Jeremy Birn.

I thought Valiant was a british production... :surprised

Kaszub
11-20-2005, 11:12 PM
yep - british production (Vanguard) distributed by Disney.

Shaderhacker
11-20-2005, 11:26 PM
yep - british production (Vanguard) distributed by Disney.

But from the creators of Shrek and Madagascar I believe.

-M

baby
11-21-2005, 12:07 AM
Wallace & Gromit

3 shorts 3 awards (or at least 3 nominations) if I'm not wrong...

so now 1 feature and 1 award...

definitly the best of the list...

TopherMartini
11-21-2005, 12:34 AM
Robots wins the 'sleeper of the year' award for me... waited for it to come out on DVD and once I saw it my biggest regret was that I didn't see it on the big screen. The characters were developed and identified very well and the story has a complete heroes quest to it.

I hope the short list comes down to Robots, W&G, and Corpse Bride :buttrock:

ReBootedOne
11-21-2005, 12:51 AM
I bet the nominees will be Wallace & Gromit, Corpse Bride, and Howl's Moving Castle, and that the winner will be W&G.
That'd be cool if it WAS those nominees, cause none of 'em are 3D computer animation, which would prove to the world traditional animation is not dead. ^_^
However, politics will probably come into this and mandate that Robots, Madagascar or Chicken Little get a nomination....

-CM

SalmonGod
11-21-2005, 07:39 AM
any American college student taking a Japanese language course knows that traditional animation is not dead :P

Apoclypse
11-21-2005, 02:25 PM
Valiant, Chicken Little, Hoodwinked dont deserve to be on this list. These were mediocre at best ( i don't care how much money chicken little made). I give it to Miyazaki, who even at HIS most mediocre is still better than everyone else. We went to see Howl's moving castle and Fantastic four on the same day. We all agreed that Howl's was the much better movie. Steamboy was laright but, I think it doesn't play to otomo's strengths, but it looked pretty good and the voice acting was pretty cool ( anna paquin was really good as the main character).

Kaszub
11-21-2005, 05:44 PM
Edit: Sorry - double post...

Kaszub
11-21-2005, 05:48 PM
But from the creators of Shrek and Madagascar I believe.

-M

to be precise: "From the producer of Shrek" :) John H. Williams was the producer of Shrek (1&2) and then producer of Valiant.

terafi
11-25-2005, 06:04 PM
I'd say - Steamboy, Howl's Moving Castle, and Wallace & Gromitt, winner W&G. Loved those other two with a passion but I have to give it to Wallace & Gromitt.

Robots was alright, same with Corpse Bride (though I'd probably nominate a song. . .). Madagascar was kinda cool, probably will get the nomination in replace of one of those animes. Didn't see any of the others, probably won't.

baby
11-25-2005, 07:25 PM
why people enjoyed robots...some "cool features" (the robot dance, the discovery of the town, fun animations) but the story is poor and sooo boring around the 3/4...I forgot this movie 5 minutes after seeing it in theater...

is that the big butt / fart jokes that people like ?!?

can someone explain me ?

BillB
11-25-2005, 09:54 PM
Valiant, Chicken Little, Hoodwinked dont deserve to be on this list. Keep in mind these aren't "nominated" as such, they just got submitted by their respective studios. At this point there has been no critical selection applied.

I'd put my money on W&G as well, easily the best this year from the sounds of it. For the other two, not having seen the anime's, I'd pick Corpse Bride for the animation skills (but agree the story was sub-par and songs annoyed, unlike Nb4X), and Madagascar (but an anime might pip that).

Given how many films came out this year, it's surprising how few were strong technically *and* storywise. Aardman totally deserve that Oscar.

CGTalk Moderation
11-25-2005, 09:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.