PDA

View Full Version : FR2 quick Q

STRAT
11-18-2005, 10:25 AM
i want to render over 2 pc's on my network. got frstation installed on both pc's. i then run frstation in the command window on my spare pc, and it says "starting finalrender stage-2 in server mode ...done" (on the spare pc)

then on my main pc i open my scene, and in the DR menu i check slave (my spare pc) and it says READY. i pressume it's set up now?

but when i hit render it only seams to be rendering on the main pc. What am i actually meant to be seeing on both pc's during rendering? is the slave pc in the wrong mode maybe? does c4d need to be open on both pc's?

i'm getting exactly the same render times whether i enable the DR option or not :/

philhoole
11-18-2005, 11:30 AM
On the slave there's little visible to let you know it's rendering. However, I run the Windows Task Manager which shows CPU useage and when it leaps to 100% from idle I know it's actively rendering.

On the workstation you should see as many little square buckets working on the image as you have distributed CPUs. I have 2 dual core PC's and a single CPU machine and I see 5 little squares darting around the image during DR.

I've noticed on small, simple test scenes, the overhead in network transfer slows the render down so that it's slower than on just 1 PC but obviously as resolution and complexity increase it really helps.

You also have to add your local machine to the DR manager screen in the same way as you did the slave PC. It's not enough just to run frstation locally. I suspect you are just rendering on your slave PC. Get both of the PCs shown in the DR manager (with "Ready" shown) and you should get both PCs rendering together.

STRAT
11-18-2005, 12:30 PM
You also have to add your local machine to the DR manager screen in the same way as you did the slave PC. It's not enough just to run frstation locally. I suspect you are just rendering on your slave PC. Get both of the PCs shown in the DR manager (with "Ready" shown) and you should get both PCs rendering together.

why is this then?

holle
11-18-2005, 12:35 PM
If you activate in the general settings the "force 2-sided" option,
polygons are rendered 2-sided.

Ups, do you edit your posting with the question about it?

AdamT
11-18-2005, 12:42 PM
Here's a little trick: in the DR settings you can click on the slaves name and change the color of the little frame that surrounds the rendering bucket. That way you can tell which machine is rendering which bucket.

This was actually pretty useful, as it helped me discover that setting thread priority to low is a *bad* thing--at least on my setup. It caused one core of my X2 machine to render very very slowly.

STRAT
11-18-2005, 12:42 PM
hehe, yeah sorry i did. found the 2 sided option i'm was used to in Max :p

STRAT
11-18-2005, 01:33 PM
(also posted in the fr2 forum, but unanswered as yet)

i was rendering a massive old project. hit the render button with my slave pc in tow, then waited as it started processing. i then had to use my pc in a hurry, so instead of cancelling and exiting i just powered down on the spot (which i quite often do).

now i boot up c4d and try to envoke FR2 and it says i cant because i got no lisences free http://www.cebas.com/forums/cebas/images/smiles/icon_evil.gif http://www.cebas.com/forums/cebas/images/smiles/icon_evil.gif http://www.cebas.com/forums/cebas/images/smiles/icon_evil.gif http://www.cebas.com/forums/cebas/images/smiles/icon_evil.gif

how do i sort this out?

Ernest Burden
11-18-2005, 01:42 PM
i then had to use my pc in a hurry, so instead of cancelling and exiting i just powered down on the spot (which i quite often do).

What's quick about doing that? How about using the TaskManager to stop any process you want to dump. Remember--take-offs and landings are where the danger lies, and the wear-and-tear.

STRAT
11-18-2005, 01:45 PM
yup, task manager. a normal good idea.

but as i say, i was in a rush, i'd run out of ram (which i didnt say :p ) which means all that would have quite possibly taken a minute or 2. (i really was in a rush)

i've powered down most often in the past and never had any probs, until now.

also, what if my render had hung instead, or crashed causing an immediate power down? i'd be in the same boat.

doesn't solve my immediate problem though.

STRAT
11-18-2005, 01:58 PM
panic over. a re-boot of the ip-clamp server cleared it's buffer :)

Autodesk's ADT floating lisence system suffers with the same problem if it crashes mid flow.

JDP
11-18-2005, 04:43 PM

I've not had to do this and it works fine. Just run Frstation on your slaves, not on the master.

STRAT
11-18-2005, 08:44 PM
i've used frstation on and off on the master pc with a similar effect. why use it on one and not the other?

JDP
11-18-2005, 11:20 PM
Well maybe I don't understand how it works, which is quite likely, but my impression was that any machine I wanted to use as a DR slave had to have the frstation service running, then from within c4d in the FinalRender settings add the slaves in the DR settings, no need to add the actual PC your on. It works for me as I can see all render buckets and a decrease in render time.

DynamicRealism
11-18-2005, 11:33 PM
you DO NOT include your client pc as a slave regarding distributed render under ANY circumstances period. Not only will your box lock up half the time, it may cause the other fr's on the network to crash too. You are using all your main cpu power for the cinema fr2 renderer, there is jack diddly squat left for the frstation.

philhoole
11-19-2005, 12:07 AM
you DO NOT include your client pc as a slave regarding distributed render under ANY circumstances period. Not only will your box lock up half the time, it may cause the other fr's on the network to crash too. You are using all your main cpu power for the cinema fr2 renderer, there is jack diddly squat left for the frstation.

The crashes you describe are exactly what I am experiencing. When I first set up DR I convinced myself that the (dual core) CPU on the workstation were not being used in DR. So I added the ip address in the DR manger and I then got all CPUs rendering but with a lot of crashes.

I will try again tomorrow. hopefully I can get all my CPUs to render and lose all the crashes I've been getting.

STRAT
11-19-2005, 11:14 AM
another quickie, and i havent sat down to look into this yet so theres probably an easy answer -

FR2 doesnt recognise C4D's native backround object. so how do i put a backround image in. i pressume it has it's own backrounds objects?

Per-Anders
11-19-2005, 06:44 PM
you should just be able to use frontal projection in the tag on any object behind your scene e.g. a sky object should do it, the same as with AR.

STRAT
11-19-2005, 07:14 PM
you should just be able to use frontal projection in the tag on any object behind your scene e.g. a sky object should do it, the same as with AR.

cheers Per, yep, the obviouse 'other' solution if you dont have the backround object available to you. i was just wondering if FR2 has it's own backround equivlent?

thanks mdme

CGTalk Moderation
11-19-2005, 07:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.