PDA

View Full Version : Superman Retuns TEASER (THIS time is FOR REAL)

RobertoOrtiz
11-18-2005, 02:02 AM
http://supermanreturns.warnerbros.com/trailer.html-R

Shaderhacker
11-18-2005, 02:42 AM
I actually like it. It may be the voice and background music though. Some of the shots were attractive too.

Edit: ok, now I REALLY like this trailer! It's so emotional and atmospheric! I keep watching it. The part where Superman is slowly flying above the clouds in the sunset is completely magnificent! I love when he hovers above the earth too looking down at the people. Very freakin nice! WB is starting on a good track - first Batman Begins and hopefully this movie.

-M

SheepFactory
11-18-2005, 02:53 AM
I like it too , cant wait to see the full trailer!

FUG1T1VE
11-18-2005, 03:26 AM
nice. sucks that they didnt do the different download options for the video blogs, Like Pete did for kong.

TommyGutt
11-18-2005, 03:34 AM
Kevin Spacey, that's awesome.

anibal187
11-18-2005, 03:54 AM
I like it. The shot where you see the mailbox and the house is really great. I hope they are aiming for a movie that's more than just a show-off of VFX, and from this teaser it looks like it :thumbsup:.

chadtheartist
11-18-2005, 04:50 AM
Dang... that music brings back so many memories from my childhood. Absolutely fantastic! I can't wait til next summer! Whoo-rah!

dax3d
11-18-2005, 04:54 AM
Here you go
http://www.superherohype.com/news/supermannews.php?id=3640

That page has links to direct downloads of varius formats at various resolutions.

I liked the teaser. It's great to hear Marlon Brando as Jor El, and I like the shot of Superman flying up into the clouds. Only a teaser, but looks like some nice stuff in there.

Arrghman
11-18-2005, 07:57 AM
I'm still on the fence about this movie, but it's hard not to grin when the theme from the first movie starts playing. Here's hoping it'll be good! :thumbsup:

Trenox
11-18-2005, 09:14 AM
It sure looks alot better than i feared. But im still not too excited about this whole project. It also seems a bit odd to play the movie like an origin story, and yet its called 'superman returns', as if it somehow asumes that the first took place. But i guess 'begins' was already taken :D

PaulAdams
11-18-2005, 09:43 AM
Some nice scenes, albeit mostly what we've seen from the blogs. The cloud and space stuff were really nice. Good teaser overall, I desperately want this movie to be good - so much to work with.

(Although I still think he looks more Superboy than Superman.)

JoeBananas
11-18-2005, 11:44 AM
Glad they kept the music, it's such a classic score.

Blazer
11-18-2005, 12:16 PM
I don't get it... are they remaking Superman 1!?!?!

Am I getting that old that movies from my lifetime are now being remade????

HOLLYWOOD...... GET SOME WRITERS! PLEASE!

slaughters
11-18-2005, 12:42 PM

HOLLYWOOD...... GET SOME WRITERS! PLEASE!A lot of the movies you saw originally were remakes of older films or stories as well. They do it in order to introduce the story to an new generation.

Of course it remains to be seen if this remake is better or worse than the original, but I did like the Teaser.

MacDuff
11-18-2005, 12:48 PM

HOLLYWOOD...... GET SOME WRITERS! PLEASE!

It is not a remake. The story picks up where Superman 2 left off. It looks like they've just inserted scenes from the origin to have it make more sense to those who haven't seen 1 and 2.

akport
11-18-2005, 12:49 PM
This is not a remake of Superman 1, it is the real Superman 3. Singer is picking up where Supeman 2 left off. That's why he is using the same music, Brando, etc. After Superman 2, Superman leaves. He goes to Krypton to view the wreckage and come to grips with his heritage. Then he 'RETURNS' to Earth. Hence the name of the movie.

- Adam

Frank Lake
11-18-2005, 01:13 PM
[extreme sarcasm]Nice to know that Singer did some research on Supes when he got THAT idea.[/extreme sarcasm]

Really hope that they DON'T have any other trailers because they'll blow their FX wad on teasers. But the trailer did it's job. The ticket WILL BE PURCHASED!!!

I just hope that the writers did thiers.

Emmanuel
11-18-2005, 01:21 PM
What was wrong again with Superman 3 ?

nickepstein
11-18-2005, 02:00 PM
yeah i liked the teaser -- from what i've seen of the film so far (its one of the projects we are doing here at the moment) there are some SPECTACULAR set pieces, really cool looking stuff (not just the vfx, the whole production design)

i do agree with what someone said about hoping its not just a vfx extravaganza though.

Maven
11-18-2005, 02:08 PM
I am really exicted to see this movie. I bet they are going to insert some flash backs to Super1, the reason I say that is because the trailer shows the old homestead and him jumping in the field.

I watched this trailer and literally got chills. This is so much a part of my childhood.

angel
11-18-2005, 02:10 PM
LOVED IT!

I was affraid they would come up with a new score. I'm glad they kept the original, it wouldn't be a Superman film without it.

Blazer
11-18-2005, 02:23 PM
I see scenes of him "discovering" his powers... I see him on the balcony with Ms. Lane....

I have seen these scenes already.

Slurry
11-18-2005, 02:31 PM
Really liked the teaser. Gave me shivers up my spine. I hope they don't show too much either. Less is more.

Art

Nazirull
11-18-2005, 03:20 PM
Awesome.....the music is back! Send chills down my spine. Ive never expected that. I hope they wont f**k this one up!

Nazirull
11-18-2005, 03:25 PM
Although, I have doubts that Brandon can equal the late Christopher Reeves. Wisdom, wit.....i dunno...i hope im wrong.

Apoclypse
11-18-2005, 05:28 PM
I don't like his hair.

Terrell
11-18-2005, 05:36 PM
The more I think about it, the lamer this trailer gets. Nothing! Just showed us a few clips that we saw months ago, with music and voiceover from a film made 30 years ago. Not one clear shot of Routh in the suit, nor did they show Routh speaking any lines. It seems as though they're afraid to show these things for fear of a negative reaction.

Lamest teaser I've seen in 5 years. Then again, I've hated the casting choices for this film, as well as the story ideas I've heard about. But this teaser did absolutely nothing to make me want to see this film, and that's pretty bad when your favorite comic book character is Superman.

AnimBot
11-18-2005, 06:18 PM
The more I think about it, the lamer this trailer gets. Nothing! Just showed us a few clips that we saw months ago, with music and voiceover from a film made 30 years ago. Not one clear shot of Routh in the suit, nor did they show Routh speaking any lines. It seems as though they're afraid to show these things for fear of a negative reaction.

Lamest teaser I've seen in 5 years. Then again, I've hated the casting choices for this film, as well as the story ideas I've heard about. But this teaser did absolutely nothing to make me want to see this film, and that's pretty bad when your favorite comic book character is Superman.

I'm totally confused by this post. You said it yourself it's a teaser. Do you remember when the Batman Begins teaser came out? It showed even less of the character. That's the whole point of it being a teaser. You've obviously made your decision on the film already but man at least wait for a full trailer before you jump to those conclusions.

visionmaster2
11-18-2005, 06:20 PM
great feeling, and great teaser !

jake_$teed
11-18-2005, 07:04 PM
Whoever thought of making a teaser with more logos and black screen than actual footage from the movie is a genuis. It reminded me of the trailer for "Asses of Fire 2" with Terrance and Phillip.

By using music and dialogue from the first movie, and rehashed origin scenes, it told me nothing other than "it's coming", and you'd have to be living under a rock to not know that.

harlan_hill
11-18-2005, 07:21 PM
Just in case you may not be aware, but Superman Returns was shot with the Panavision Genesis Hi-Def camera systems. This will be the first feature to make exclusive use of the Genesis, and so far it looks visually fantastic.

RobW720
11-18-2005, 07:41 PM
the teaser for asses of fire 2 was amazing.

this one comes in a close second

Borjis
11-18-2005, 08:05 PM
Just in case you may not be aware, but Superman Returns was shot with the Panavision Genesis Hi-Def camera systems. This will be the first feature to make exclusive use of the Genesis, and so far it looks visually fantastic.

This camera is incredible! It and the Arri D20 produce AMAZING highlights.

Look at those clouds!

Borjis
11-18-2005, 08:06 PM
After Superman 2, Superman leaves. He goes to Krypton to view the wreckage and come to grips with his heritage. Then he 'RETURNS' to Earth. Hence the name of the movie.

- Adam

How does he go to Krypton?

There's nothing there. The Sun exploded and obliterated it all into nothingness.
or has this been changed in the remake?

shadowfork
11-18-2005, 08:25 PM
Damn! ITs freakin cool!

Whats wrong with picking it up from Superman 2? Would you like them to pickup from Superman 4 (the worst of all Superman movies IMO)

Chill out. That's why its called a TEASER. Its not even a TRAILER. I hope you understand the difference. And I'm sorry the magic didn't work on you. You have to use more imagination I guess. If you're a true fan, you will love (at least for their effort to bring out the film in your lifetime) and watch this film unconditionally.

All in all, I hope it surpasses X-Men (just ok movie for me) and Spiderman (now that's better).

harlan_hill
11-18-2005, 08:39 PM
This camera is incredible! It and the Arri D20 produce AMAZING highlights.

Look at those clouds!

Yup. Just wait til you see the footage on a quality projection system - it's f#ckin amazing!! :)

FalseCathedral
11-19-2005, 12:11 AM
Glad they kept the music, it's such a classic score.

I agree. I adore the superman soundtrack. I'm really looking forward to this film. I was a huge fan of the first one. I wasn't even aware that this is a remake of the first superman movie. With how good the new batman is...this could be a good thing.

A friend of mine may be recording a song for this movie with his band, The Spill Canvas. (http://www.thespillcanvas.com) I'm excited to hear that...they did an intro for a TV series that has yet to air that turned out completely hillarious (in a good way)..anyway...now i'm just rambling....

rebo
11-19-2005, 12:35 AM
Great teaser, I Hope the tone of the teaser means they will respect the superman mythos.

dax3d
11-19-2005, 01:18 AM
[QUOTE=I wasn't even aware that this is a remake of the first superman movie. With how good the new batman is...this could be a good thing.[/QUOTE]

It's not a remake of Superman 1, it's a sequel to Superman 2. Bryan Singer is using unused footage that Richard Donner filmed for Superman 2.

Frank Lake
11-19-2005, 01:48 AM
How does he go to Krypton?

There's nothing there. The Sun exploded and obliterated it all into nothingness.
or has this been changed in the remake?
It was the planet that blew not the sun and he gets his powers from our sun(yellow) and loses his under a red one(Kryptons system sun).

I hope that they've updated the Fortress into more of a marvel and maybe moved it to the moon and have supes move it back to earth. But what you really have to wonder what type of villian henchman that they have in the movie. :hmm:

FloydBishop
11-19-2005, 02:08 AM
I wish they would remake "Superman III", and get Dave Chapelle to take on Richard Pryor's role.

That would be a Superman movie I would be interested in!

http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~davet/dvd/covers_210x300/SUPERMAN3_210x300.jpg

11-19-2005, 02:28 AM
But what you really have to wonder what type of villian henchman that they have in the movie. :hmm:

Lex of course... Along with that Indian guy from Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle and the soon to be released Harold and Kumar Go to Amsterdam. :shrug:

zzacmann
11-19-2005, 04:33 AM
I wish they would remake "Superman III", and get Dave Chapelle to take on Richard Pryor's role.

That would be a Superman movie I would be interested in!

http://zzacmann.250free.com/SupermanBitch.jpg

ThE_JacO
11-19-2005, 08:33 AM

cool, you've seen those shots months ago... I work for the company that worked on 8 out of 16 shots in that teaser and and prevized together with PLF the other half, and yet I hadn't seen them months ago.

seems you're just hating the movie for the sake of wanting to hate it really, but I could obviously be wrong.

Ravis
11-19-2005, 09:07 AM
Looks like a revamp of the Superman origins to me.

It's such a setup for sequels too with the new actor playing Superman.

11-19-2005, 04:08 PM
Nice teaser. "They can be a great people, KalEl..." sends shivers down me spine... I don't remember Superman 3-4 and remember little of Superman 1-2. So, I don't mind them reusing old stuff.

I wished they showed more as most of this was from the Comicon footage released months ago. The shots of the Kent farm look awesome with all the detail and colors. They actually captured the "flatness/openness" of the Midwest as opposed to TV's Mountainous Smallville. The rooftop scene looks too much like a set.

Shaderhacker
11-19-2005, 05:03 PM
Nice teaser. "They can be a great people, KalEl..." sends shivers down me spine...

Yup, me too. I hope it's an emotional movie.. I like that!

-M

Nazirull
11-19-2005, 05:25 PM
Although, I have doubts that Brandon can equal the late Christopher Reeves. Wisdom, wit.....i dunno...i hope im wrong.

Ive been drawn to watch over and over again the hi-res quicktime teaser. The original score somehow ties the present and the past in an excellent way. And the more I look at that stare Brandon gives to earth and with Jor-El narrating at the background, the more i discover the courage and heart Brandon already gives to the character.....

He will be a great Superman....I bet on it.

bluemagicuk
11-19-2005, 10:07 PM
I ....... cannot ................. frikin ............... wait ... too stoked to discuss must go drink beer and celebrate .

Nazirull
11-20-2005, 07:36 AM
Come to think of it.....they might not stick with the original score after all....most sequel usually have the old score co the new one is noteven recorded maybe.....man i really hope they are keeping the old one...sort of like star wars saga...u have 10+ years gap....but the old score is still goes well with the movie and really gives the whole episode 1 to 6 a united feel......since that is what Bryan wants to achieve, which is to continue from Superman 2. (that was a long sentence.....)

I think Bryan will do well...since i think he feels for the Superman movies....by asking for blessing from the original Superman movie director (I forgot his name).

shadowfork
11-20-2005, 09:49 AM
Freakin awesome!

The way he enter Earth's atmosphere with a sonic boom... man.... happy to see they put real science in there.

Remember on Superman 4 when he was carrying someone in space ... the human survived without any astro suit! What? Humans can breath in space?!?!?! I'm like, WTF?!

Anyway, can't wait to see the movie. I'll be one of the people to see it on its first day.

Superman rocks!!! :buttrock:

Ed Bittner
11-20-2005, 12:02 PM
It's my understanding that they ARE in fact using some of the original John Williams music interwoven throughout the film, (Brian Singers blogs). As far as teasers go, the teaser for Superman The Movie directed by Richard Donner,( the only real Superman film), showed NOTHING except flight through clouds.
Clouds much like the ones seen in this teaser during, " They only lack the light to show them the way".
Oh yeah.............goosebumps,
E.

TumikSmacker
11-20-2005, 06:55 PM
I like everything about this movie so far. BUT like it was said before - he looks like SuperBoy instead of SuperMan. They need to find a better guy to fill Reeves' red boots.

laiels
11-20-2005, 07:19 PM
great trailer overall. However, I'm not sure I like the Jesus Christ references.

flipnap
11-20-2005, 08:43 PM
I'm not sure I like the Jesus Christ references.

not sure im seeing the same thing, where are these?

chadtheartist
11-20-2005, 08:52 PM
The entire speach by Jor-El. Seems pretty much like why God sent Christ to Earth. It's very similar, in my opinion. But it doesn't bother me at all.

laiels
11-20-2005, 09:02 PM
Let me clarify. Not that I am offended by any religious implications by it. Just that I think I like Superman more as a standard individual superhero. The whole messiah comparison seems rather hokey to me.

shadowfork
11-20-2005, 10:04 PM
great trailer overall. However, I'm not sure I like the Jesus Christ references.

Like what Jor-El said :

"They can be a great people Kalel, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for growth, I'm sending you, my only son."

... he can't help it if he only has one son. And I guess there's no other way to say it dramatically but this way.

Biblically speaking, I guess Jesus is Superman in a certain way. He flies and have many powers :) And they both fight for truth, justice and for the good of mankind. Only Superman doesn't ask us to praise him.

Just try to enjoy. Its a fantasy film.

laiels
11-20-2005, 10:48 PM
Only thing is, Superman wasn't "sent" to earth from his father to save mankind, or to show them the "way" (implying that mankind's spirit or soul somehow is misguided ala biblical reference). Superman was sent away from krypton because it was going to explode and Jor-el wanted to save his son's life. So I think the whole reference is rather forced. That being said I'm looking foward to the movie. But I want to see a traditional superhero movie.

MorituriMax
11-20-2005, 11:01 PM

Repeat after me..... T e a s e r. Once more.... T e a s e r. Not Preview, Not Review, Not In-depth behind the scenes making of...... T e a s e r.

Don't get stuck on Stupid.

MorituriMax
11-20-2005, 11:02 PM

Yeah, everyone knows Jay-Cee was a wood elf from South Krypton.

MorituriMax
11-20-2005, 11:05 PM
Can't wait for the obvious follow-up in a couple years, Batman and Superman in a movie together. The emotional casting seems similar enough between both movies that they would work well together.

Yeah, Batman and Superman against the Aliens and Predators... oops... kidding.

ThE_JacO
11-21-2005, 12:17 AM
Only thing is, Superman wasn't "sent" to earth from his father to save mankind, or to show them the "way" (implying that mankind's spirit or soul somehow is misguided ala biblical reference). Superman was sent away from krypton because it was going to explode and Jor-el wanted to save his son's life. So I think the whole reference is rather forced. That being said I'm looking foward to the movie. But I want to see a traditional superhero movie.

that idea was re-iterated over some time ago (don't remember where to be honest, but some man of steel buff will probably know :) ).
Superman was arsekicked out of krypton to save him, true, but his destination was chosen to be Earth because, of the many inhabited planets, it was the one that had the most need for him to help evening the evil/good balance again.

it's still a bit of a stretch, but it does help slimming down the contradiction.

laiels
11-21-2005, 12:43 AM
I wasn't aware that the kryptonions even knew that the yellow sun would give them super powers.

shadowfork
11-21-2005, 12:56 AM
I wasn't aware that the kryptonions even knew that the yellow sun would give them super powers.

I don't think they do.

But like what they have mentioned, Earth is still a primitive planet. And Kryptonians are an advance race. Remember they were planting him with seed of knowledge on his journey to Earth... so he is expected to be in some way superior than humans.

ThE_JacO
11-21-2005, 01:03 AM

it still is a bit of a stretch, but then it's pretty damn hard to keep a character and an episodical saga going for over half a century, keep it appealing to a large audience, and still not have any inconsistancies throughout the whole narrative :)

DDS
11-21-2005, 01:52 AM
they should make a remake of Supergirl, but this looks cool for the moment :D

send2raj
11-21-2005, 05:02 AM
The Teaser is amazing :applause: :applause: and am a huge Superman fan since the Late Christopher Reeve movies. I was worried whether brandon will suit for the role after reeve,but he just filled the blue tights and he's excellent and perfect :thumbsup: . I got Chills when i saw the teaser coz it's been a long wait.Can't wait until June 30, 2006!!!

Keep flying SUPERMAN :bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

shadowfork
11-21-2005, 06:08 AM
Just finished watching the first movie again.

I didn't realize the narration of Jor-El on the teaser was the same from the first movie. Some parts they butchered but worked well on the teaser.

Great stuff!

I keep watching the trailer every single day before I start my work/day hehehe. :bowdown:

Ed Bittner
11-21-2005, 10:03 AM
I was just going to suggest just that......Go back and watch the first Donner Superman film. The biblical references abound. From Jor-els' speech to Kal-els' ship,(looking quite like the ornament on top of a christmastree), to his foster fathers' death while he was young. Not to mention Jor-els' speech to the baby Kal-el, "The son becomes the father and the father becomes the son",( all of which where quite intentional), and his eventual entry into public life at around thirty years of age. I thought all that was rather fun. And yes, they knew of Earth. Lara,(mom), asks "Why, Earth?"
To which Jor-el answers, " He will look like one of them", all the while being well aware of the yellow suns' effect on the baby.
The "IT" word during the filming of Superman the Movie was verisimillitude.( Keep it real). Something that was NOT lost on the Batman Begins filmakers.( The director of BB said his main inspiration was Donners' Superman).
Superman the Movie was the first videotape I ever purchased. Actually the reason I got the vcr in the first place. Back in '80 no one else I knew had one, and movies on tape were like $75 so we watched Superman the Movie at least 50 times. I was jazzed when the recent dvd came out with the Donner commentary. He's so funny, and I'd highly recommend that dvd for everyones library, (but skip the rest).
E.

flipnap
11-21-2005, 03:54 PM
Ahh okay, i gotcha - on the Jesus thing.. Yeah i dunno, i guess some of those moments are what gripped me anyway. Kinda gave him a special pupose, other than just accidently landing on earth and being superman. Wow, im really looking forward to this. everyshot in this teaser looked like a work of art. Now if this guy can act half decently, all should be good

Stillwell
11-21-2005, 04:49 PM
Well, maybe I'll get shot for this, but here goes:

I didn't like it. As a non-fan of Superman, this is not something that will attract my attention and keep me interested in seeing the real trailer (I'm talking specifically about what a teaser should be.)

I can understand why a superman fan would wet his pants though. The wait's been long :D

Maven
11-21-2005, 04:53 PM
Well, maybe I'll get shot for this, but here goes:

I didn't like it. As a non-fan of Superman, this is not something that will attract my attention and keep me interested in seeing the real trailer (I'm talking specifically about what a teaser should be.)

I can understand why a superman fan would wet his pants though. The wait's been long :D

Not only wet but stained.:love:

Chris Bacon
11-21-2005, 05:25 PM
WOW........I realy want to watch the full trailer now, the shot with him flying in the sun set.....FANTASTIC.....and the music and original voice over was INCREDIBLE,.....CANT WAIT

Thelvin
11-21-2005, 05:31 PM
I personally liked it alot. It has a lot of "feeling" to it, you know? The teaser is actually just a bunch of simple shots. But they sure are beautiful. I like the farm/mailbox one. Some pretty colors and compositions!
I've always stayed away from superhero type stories (like spiderman, superman). They never made much sense in me. But I have grown to like the one quality in this stories. And that is the unconditional sacrifice for humanity. Spiderman 2 was really good at this, you really felt for parker and his quest throught self-sacrifice for strangers and love ones, even if the people he was saving did not even say thanks or hated him.

I hope superman plays the same way, if not better.
Looking good so far though, very emotional, even better with those well chosen lines from Brandon. Very God like,

lets just hope...

talos72
11-21-2005, 06:30 PM
Here are some interesting tidbits about the names Kal-El and Jour_El. I knew that the word "El" had some significance in the ancient Hebrew texts and hence potential biblical references (as someone mentioned). Now, I would not read too much into it, but the word "El" means "God" in ancient texts. Any name with the word "El" associated with it connotes various characters of "God": maybe Kal-El as a god among humans on earth?

Now as for the teaser, I must say it does look exciting-- especially with Supes flowting above earth. I may be willing to overlook his costume with the drab maroon cape and high-heeled boots.

Did anyone notice in the final shot Superman breaking the sound barrier (you could see the puff of cloud and the boom sound faintly when he speeds beyond mach one) as he descended back to earth? That was pretty cool.

Maven
11-21-2005, 06:46 PM
My favorite shot was the one with everyone looking up into the sky. When ever we usually see that we see people pointing up and saying things to eachother, like "what was that!" or "did you see that?". This one is much different feel to it, it was just people on the sidewalk stopped in there tracks and looking up with zero emotion they where just standing there in shock. I really liked that.

Ed Bittner
11-21-2005, 10:04 PM
That's 'cuz they can't believe Superman has returned.

E.

shadowfork
11-21-2005, 10:44 PM
Did anyone notice in the final shot Superman breaking the sound barrier (you could see the puff of cloud and the boom sound faintly when he speeds beyond mach one) as he descended back to earth? That was pretty cool.

Yup. That Sonic Boom was awesome!

shadowfork
11-21-2005, 11:57 PM
Grabbed from MTV.com. Enjoy --

http://ice2big.com/images/SM/01.jpg

http://ice2big.com/images/SM/02.jpg

http://ice2big.com/images/SM/03.jpg

http://ice2big.com/images/SM/04.jpg

http://ice2big.com/images/SM/05.jpg

http://ice2big.com/images/SM/06.jpg

Thelvin
11-22-2005, 12:41 AM
that last picture is pretty, very...!

krazyrokr
11-22-2005, 01:01 AM
i think the 2 most powerful aspects of the trailer are marlon brando's voice and john william's music.

FloydBishop
11-22-2005, 01:21 AM
Best Style:

http://www.cultivatetwiddle.com/superman/images/supertitle.jpg

Best Lois Lane:

http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/8/8b/180px-Teri_Hatcher_is_Lois_Lane.jpg

Best Clark Kent:

http://superman.ws/fos/thescreen/tv1/kent.gif

Best Superman:

http://monique.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/superman.jpg

Best Lex Luthor:

http://www.seanbaby.com/superfriends/images/luthor1.gif

I'm not really sure what this new film has to offer that hasn't been done already. I think that Kevin Spacey will make a great Lex Luthor though. I would be totally fine with it if Superman is only in like three shots, just to make more time to see KS be an evil genius for a few hours.

If you've never seen him act before (it's possible), go check out "L.A. Confidential".

pencil-head
11-22-2005, 01:30 AM
Meh. This teaser does nothing for me. I guess you have to be a superman fanboy to really appreciat it. IMHO the story of superman has been told a million times before. In comics, tv series and feature films. I doubt i will even see it for the updated special effects.

shadowfork
11-22-2005, 01:47 AM
Meh. This teaser does nothing for me. I guess you have to be a superman fanboy to really appreciat it. IMHO the story of superman has been told a million times before. In comics, tv series and feature films. I doubt i will even see it for the updated special effects.

Nah, I've shown it to lots of friends who only knows superman as an icon and still they get excited for this movie.

Story been told a million times? Well, its not a remake. So I don't think it was ever told before. In contrast, most movies, tv series and comics and animes found their roots from Superman. After all, Superman started the Super Hero genre we all love and enjoy to this day.

And for those of you interested...

' The director recently told USA Today that the upcoming installment will be primarily a love story, as Superman returns from a six-year absence to find his love, Lois Lane, with a new boyfriend and child.' --MTV.com

Frank Lake
11-22-2005, 11:53 AM
What I'm really beginning to like is that the World has moved on without Superman and Metropolis has become visually dull and without apparent vigor. Now Supes is back and must find his place in the world with Luthor doing everything in his own power to prevent him from doing so.

Now THAT is character & audience challenging without re-inventing the premise. FINALLY a thought out film, if this is remotly true of course. ;) :beer:

JulianHo
11-22-2005, 01:25 PM
My god, that's a lot of great compositions in those stills. :D

CB_3D
11-22-2005, 02:59 PM

There are several verions, actually.In the move Brando mentions to his wife that their son will be faster and stronger under a yellow sun.

In Smallville i get the feeling it is left a bit in the open whICH powers are "kryptonian" and which are "kryptonian on earth". Kryptonian villains in Smallville, for example, arrive on earth and know how to use heatvision right away, without being the least bit surprised.

hen again, in Smallville mythology, kryptonians have been visiting earth before, so it could have been a nice vacation spot for them before Kryptonīs demise.

pipecat
11-22-2005, 03:13 PM
I would prefer to see Tom Welling (Smallville) in Superman Returns...

Chris Bacon
11-22-2005, 03:52 PM
The thing is if the kryptonians knew about what a yekkow sun does to them, why dont they stay on earth....I meen think about it you can either have human frailties on krypton OR go to earth and be powerful....

shadowfork
11-22-2005, 04:47 PM
The thing is if the kryptonians knew about what a yekkow sun does to them, why dont they stay on earth....I meen think about it you can either have human frailties on krypton OR go to earth and be powerful....

Obviously Kryptonians aren't the type of race that will take advantage of weak planets.

And they know more systems than our galaxy. I think Earth will be the last on their list. It was chosen because it was best for Kal-El's chance of survival.

ekah
11-22-2005, 08:49 PM

Obviously Kryptonians aren't the type of race that will take advantage of weak planets.

And they know more systems than our galaxy. I think Earth will be the last on their list. It was chosen because it was best for Kal-El's chance of survival.

LOL. I could have sworn I've heard this conversation in elementary school.

Looking forward to the movie. :) I'm happy if they're using John Williams' original music. Can't think of anyone better for a film like this.

AJ
11-22-2005, 09:35 PM

Because most of them look terrible in capes.

Chris Bacon
11-23-2005, 11:07 AM

LOL...Nice

Frank Lake
11-23-2005, 11:48 AM
I would prefer to see Tom Welling (Smallville) in Superman Returns...
That will NEVER happen. The WB has already stated so. But then again if Sony or Fox waved enough money around.....

Chris Bacon
11-23-2005, 12:08 PM
That will NEVER happen. The WB has already stated so. But then again if Sony or Fox waved enough money around.....

Plus the guy has already said that at NO point does he ever want to put on the suiet.....

knellotron
11-23-2005, 02:23 PM

http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/records/budgets.html
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0348150/business

250 Million. That's the highest budget ever, unless you count LOTR or the Matrix sequels as one movie.

I think they're going to do whatever they want to do.

dax3d
11-23-2005, 04:15 PM
I'm not positive, but I believe the number is so high for Superman Returns because it's been in development for about 10 years. A lot of that money was spent on old scripts and such. Tim Burton also was paid (not sure) to be director, and then ditched Kevin Smith's script.

ThE_JacO
11-25-2005, 05:07 AM
http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/records/budgets.html
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0348150/business

250 Million. That's the highest budget ever, unless you count LOTR or the Matrix sequels as one movie.

I think they're going to do whatever they want to do.

waterworld was rumored to have ended up costing over 300 millions (some wild rumors, including promotion, placed it at 350, but I doubt that), although more reliable estimates placed it between 180 and 200 millions, and that was quite a few years back.

Hairy tosser 4, when they started production, aimed to be the most expensive movie ever made, and it was forecast to cost 305 millions, I'm not 100% sure if they made it exactly to that, but last we heard over here they did make it to the 300 mark, however for some reason it was reported at 140-170, changing site by site (don't know if the initial figure included promotion and other things, but 150 mills of promotion...)

for Superman there seems to be the same kind of sentiment, with director, writer and soups trying to mob studios into shelling out more and more money to make it the most expensive movie ever (aiming for 320 I believe), new sequences were constantly introduced during production, and some sessions were overshot even when not approved in the hope that they could pitch them to the executive producers for full post afterwards.

so... for the time being it's not the most expensive movie ever made yet, even less so if you consider the ladder with inflation adjustment (in which case cleopatra is still 1st I believe), but it's trying to be apparently ;), and published budgets and real budgets don't always match.

CB_3D
11-25-2005, 05:52 AM
but it's trying to be apparently ;), and published budgets and real budgets don't always match.

Itīs really hard to believe. There would have to be some pretty epic fx scenes at an unheard level of perfection for it to cost that much.

Although...
..there are sometimes some pretty weird decisions made in this type of movie. I just saw the BatmanBegins extras where they show whole cityblocks being built in hangars. WTF?!

I loved Begins, but with itīs realworld looks it just seemed like wasted money to me. And contrary to the usual enthusiasm about how real it all looked i thought the slums looked pretty fake and studiolike.

ThE_JacO
11-25-2005, 06:21 AM
Itīs really hard to believe. There would have to be some pretty epic fx scenes at an unheard level of perfection for it to cost that much.

not necessarily, people, for some weird reason, think that the main portion of an FX movie costs is the VFX, but that's simply not true.
long shooting sessions cost heaps of money. a large production, with multiple units and large sets, costs tens of thousands -A DAY-, and sometimes hundreds of thousands.
a director refusing to let second unit to do much will make production so much longer that shooting costs will go through the roof.

insurance for a stunt heavy movie costs a lot. shooting in exotic locations and moving units around costs a lot. crew to mantain large sets (and the subcrew to mantain such a crew) cost ridiculous amount of money.

and so on and on for many other items.

beside that, superman WILL feature some things not seen before, but not all the budget goes into digital fx.

Although...
..there are sometimes some pretty weird decisions made in this type of movie. I just saw the BatmanBegins extras where they show whole cityblocks being built in hangars. WTF?!

personally, I'm happy they did it that way, and while I loved the Dneg's work on begins, there's NOTHING like a set in so many cases.

RangerLee
11-25-2005, 08:31 AM
hey all..

just wanted to put my 2 cents worth in. i'm a huge superman and have been all my life..always my favorite superhero..but unfortunatly i've yet to be impressed by any of this new take the story. and the teaser did nothing for me, the only bits i liked were the bits from the donner films. dont get me wrong i'm all for a bit of updating for a modern audience but i think if your going to do it forget about what has gone before like batman begins did . i have to also say i am a fan of bryan singer..loved the xmen movies. but things like casting brandon (superboy, tom welling is older that rooth lol), giving lois a baby, the whole exploding planet thing which has been mentioned, going away for 5 years when at the end of 2 he told the president he'd never leave again, going away for 5 years and coming back younger than when he left all dont impress. i just think they could have come up with something themselves instead of trying to cash in on the old donner films

i think smallville (which i love and think the whole of that cast would have been perfect for a movie especially tom welling as a perfect, if not slightly older clark and michael rosembaum as a perfect evil in waiting lex) has done something origional and clever with the story while still keeping in some elements of the origional, did you all see the fortress of solitude in that WOW.

hope i'm wrong and it turns out to be amazing as superman deserves another good film

laters :)

BillB
11-25-2005, 08:33 AM
Hmm. That trailer left me a bit cold. Don't get me wrong, I'll be there! Just felt disjointed, lacked any sort of cohesive flow. I know it was a teaser, but they usually are better that. "Quick, Merv, grab all the finished shots and chuck them together under that great Jor-El v/o!"

The stills someone posted grabbed me more, for what they were.

raffael3d
11-25-2005, 09:02 AM
isn't Titanic still the most expensive movie?

Solothores
11-25-2005, 09:13 AM
isn't Titanic still the most expensive movie?

edit:
*sigh*
note to self: should read at least the last page. Raffael an answer is provided a couple of posts above. :)

cheers
Solo

(http://www.the-numbers.com/movies/records/budgets.html)

Ed Bittner
11-25-2005, 01:51 PM
Looks like young Clark is wearing Converse- Jack Percell tennis shoes. Off to a great start that. ( No PF Flyers ). Or, Red Ball Jets. Which would enable him to "run his fastest, and jump his highest".( RB Jets advertizing slogan).
E.

MrWilde
11-25-2005, 02:32 PM
[QUOTE=I wasn't even aware that this is a remake of the first superman movie. With how good the new batman is...this could be a good thing.

It's not a remake of Superman 1, it's a sequel to Superman 2. Bryan Singer is using unused footage that Richard Donner filmed for Superman 2.[/QUOTE]

So we'll see Christopher Reeve in flash backs and the new actor for the rest of the movie or how will this be going on?

Jensen
11-25-2005, 09:55 PM
I read in the thread that this is the "true" superman 3. But if this is superman 3, than what was the old superman 3? and 4? I must be missing something.

11-25-2005, 11:25 PM
I thought this isn't a direct sequel. It's vaguely related to the first two films in that the world already knows about Superman. The music is the same, just like all the 70's-80's-90's bond films have similar music but are unrelated. Even Singer said that we'll see Luther and Superman interact in a way that suggest that they have a history, but we don't know what. Visit SuperHeroHype.com for all the info.

dachish
11-26-2005, 01:51 AM
Here's a general Superman question for you fans. I never read the comics or really knew much about Superman beyond the movies.
If I understand right, the yellow sun of earth gives him his powers, whereas all the people on Krypton would just be normal as far as super powers go due to the red sun. So if Superman went to check out the ruins of him home planet, wouldn't he be in space and get around the area where the red sun is and be sort of screwed? =p

RobertoOrtiz
11-26-2005, 01:58 AM
Here's a general Superman question for you fans. I never read the comics or really knew much about Superman beyond the movies.
If I understand right, the yellow sun of earth gives him his powers, whereas all the people on Krypton would just be normal as far as super powers go due to the red sun. So if Superman went to check out the ruins of him home planet, wouldn't he be in space and get around the area where the red sun is and be sort of screwed? =p

Ok the way they explain that in the comics is that Superman cells worked like a battery.
The red sun would affect him, eventually, as soon as he loses the energy he has stored from the yellow sun.

-R

gabe28
11-26-2005, 03:38 AM
Here's what always puzzled me about the Superman storyline... if the Krytonians were an advanced species quite capable of space travel... why the hell weren't there more Krytonians scattered about space when Krypton blew up? All we have is Clark and the 3 evils ones in the Phantom zone.

Ed Bittner
11-26-2005, 11:44 AM
I thought that subject was fairly well explained in Superman the Movie.

E.

gabe28
11-26-2005, 04:10 PM
I thought that subject was fairly well explained in Superman the Movie.

E.

Was it? Guess I should watch it again some time... but someone humor me here, why WEREN'T there more Kryptonians scattered about space?

CB_3D
11-26-2005, 04:37 PM
Was it? Guess I should watch it again some time... but someone humor me here, why WEREN'T there more Kryptonians scattered about space?

Several versions, actually.

In the comics thereīs one version where kryptonians are biologically linked to the planet. If they leave, they die. Jor-El has bio engineered his son to be able to survive away from Krypton.

In the movie itīs actually not really explained. While travelling to earth there are recorded teachings in kal Els spaceship, n which Jor El goes as far as describing political systems of other races throughout the known univers. that implies they have travelled through space. The kryptonian societyin The Movie comes across as totalitarian to me, so i guess they are controlfreaks who do not permit free investigation and travelling. Jor El has to promise that neither he or his wife will leave the planet,to not cause panic (disruption in the established structure). Seems pretty fascist to me, although at least they have a council...a fascist democracy..LOL.

In Smallville, which also takes big cues from the movie, thereīs an episode that actually shows a young Jor El visiting earth...itīs implied itīs some sort of rite or punishment from his father.

I am such a geek...

Global
11-26-2005, 06:12 PM
Yeah, I'' be going to see this one - thanks for the link.

Some interesting comments here too - The one I found quite amusing was the comment about Super'boy' not Super'man'.

I hate to say it but maybe it's just that we are getting older (you know that happens when policemen start to look young!) ;)

MarGera
11-26-2005, 07:42 PM

Because Batman Begins and Superman Returns!:D

MorituriMax
11-27-2005, 06:42 AM

Plus they all got early releases of The Incredibles, and they KNEW capes are a death sentence.

MorituriMax
11-27-2005, 06:45 AM
Here's what always puzzled me about the Superman storyline... if the Krytonians were an advanced species quite capable of space travel... why the hell weren't there more Krytonians scattered about space when Krypton blew up? All we have is Clark and the 3 evils ones in the Phantom zone.

It was Thanksgiving and they were all home visiting? Bleh. Who can travel after eating an imported 20-pound super-turkey from Earth?

Nazirull
11-27-2005, 07:26 AM
but things like casting brandon (superboy, tom welling is older that rooth lol), giving lois a baby, the whole exploding planet thing which has been mentioned, going away for 5 years when at the end of 2 he told the president he'd never leave again, going away for 5 years and coming back younger than when he left all dont impress. i just think they could have come up with something themselves instead of trying to cash in on the old donner films

Right....i think after 5 years Supes should be 5 years older....! how can they miss that?? O wait.....how can the face change too?? They should do a CG of the late Chris Reeves and put it in the movie!

And yeah.....Clark Kent (in Smallville) and Clark Kent (in Lois and Clark) is probably only months different in age while its probably 10 years gap between Smallville and moving to Metropolis!? They should use Dean Cain in Smallville!

Ranger Lee! Im impressed by your observations! :applause::applause::rolleyes:

robo3687
11-27-2005, 07:30 AM
concerning the stuff about the origin scenes and such I can tell you that they were filmed in rural NSW in Australia (Bellingen to be precise)...so they will presumably be new scenes completely....no reused footage

Global
11-27-2005, 09:17 AM
Right....i think after 5 years Supes should be 5 years older....! how can they miss that?? O wait.....how can the face change too?? They should do a CG of the late Chris Reeves and put it in the movie!

Yeah, but if you go with the theory of relativity then - if he travelled fast and far enough he would in fact not have changed at all in those 5 years from earth.:p

I would be interested in seeing how the CG face replacement thing would work - I'm surprised that there has been no effort to ressurect the old greats digitally - Bogart in Cassablanca Returns etc... wait a minute, I could be on to something here!

THX
11-27-2005, 09:28 PM
i think it'll be tuff to outdo the original superman movie.. thats why singer is makin all sorts of reference to the original. THe origianal movie had so many established talented people working on it like marlon brando/ gene hackman ...story by mario puzo (godfather fame) john barry production designer for star wars..geoffrey unsworth cinematographer ( 2001:space odyssey)
john williams ( star wars , jaws.....) etc etc.....

dachish
11-27-2005, 09:56 PM
The only thing bad about the original is the ungawdly poem/song Lois sings while flying with Superman. That makes me groan in pain every time.
And the gravity problems, but we'll let those slide.

i think it'll be tuff to outdo the original superman movie.. thats why singer is makin all sorts of reference to the original. THe origianal movie had so many established talented people working on it like marlon brando/ gene hackman ...story by mario puzo (godfather fame) john barry production designer for star wars..geoffrey unsworth cinematographer ( 2001:space odyssey)
john williams ( star wars , jaws.....) etc etc.....

shadowfork
11-28-2005, 02:54 AM
The only thing bad about the original is the ungawdly poem/song Lois sings while flying with Superman. That makes me groan in pain every time.

Hahahaha. My God, I was thinking the same thing. Whats up with that??!!! :scream:

JDex
12-04-2005, 08:27 AM

Can you read my mind? LOL

I just saw the teaser... yes I've been under a rock... shivers and tingles. Hope Singer and the writers are on their game.

CGTalk Moderation
12-04-2005, 08:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.