PDA

View Full Version : convert brushes

Loupblanc
11-17-2005, 06:15 PM
hi,
i discovered and download the arnold tsang 's brushes for painter 6 but i only have painter 7, is it possible to convert this brush set and how could i proceed?
i really need your advice...please.
really thanks for your reply :)
Fab

heythatreallyhurts
11-18-2005, 11:14 AM
edited for stupidity

Jinbrown
11-18-2005, 02:26 PM
heythatreallyhurts,

If you're using Painter 7, Painter 8, or Painter IX, you should know that's not true. Painter 6 and earlier version brush libraries can be Imported, then Loaded into Painter 7, Painter 8, and Painter IX, easily.

As a matter of fact, the Painter 4, Painter 6, and Painter 6 default brush libraries are installed with Painter 7 and don't need to be Imported/converted to folders and XML brush variant files. They can just be loaded and used in Painter 7. On both the Painter 8 CD2 and Painter IX CD are a couple of brush libraries from earlier Painter versions, plus many more extra brush libraries.

shilum,

NOTE: For all Painter 6 and earlier version brush libraries that you want to Import into Painter 7, Painter 8, or Painter IX, first make a copy of the brush library file and give it a new name like "Painter_6_Painter_Brushes" for instance, or whatever name is appropriate, so it won't have the same name as the default brush library for the Painter version you're importing it into.

1. Painter 7: - At the bottom of the brush category list, click Load Library.
Painter 8 and Painter IX: - In the Brush Selector menu, choose Load Library.

2. In the Brush Libraries dialog box, click the Import button.

3. Navigate to the Painter 6 or earlier version brush library and highlight the file.

4. Wait while Painter 7 converts the brush library file to folders, XML brush variant files, JPG brush category icon image filess, and JPG Captured Dab image files.

5. When the Painter 6 or earlier version brush library name appears in the Brush Libraries list, highlight it and click the Load button. Now the brush library will be available to load into Painter 7, Painter 8, or Painter IX (whichever version you imported it into) whenever you want to use it.

Loupblanc
11-18-2005, 06:31 PM
i Jinni,
i really tried but when i clicked on the import button , painter 7 look only for a *.brs file and my brush set made on painter 6 have the *.sit extension :(

heythatreallyhurts
11-18-2005, 08:33 PM
Oh. Then I got some bum info when I was trying to get Ryan Church's brushes to work in Painter 9. Maybe I'll go and try it now that I know it's possible.

mhovland
11-18-2005, 08:39 PM
i Jinni,
i really tried but when i clicked on the import button , painter 7 look only for a *.brs file and my brush set made on painter 6 have the *.sit extension :(

Is the file compressed? I know the .sit extension is the extension for a file compressed using StuffIt. I think it is a mac format, but there should be an application to expand the file on the PC. Here it is: http://www.stuffit.com/win/expander/index.html

Jinbrown
11-18-2005, 10:26 PM
i Jinni,

shilum,

mhovland is right, .SIT is the extension for a compressed file just like Windows' ZIP files and you'll need to extract it before you'll see the .BRS brush library file.

Jinbrown
11-18-2005, 11:17 PM
Oh. Then I got some bum info when I was trying to get Ryan Church's brushes to work in Painter 9. Maybe I'll go and try it now that I know it's possible.

What you'll see on Ryan Church's site is confusing to say the least.

The link that says Download my Painter 6 Brushes is not a brush download at all. It's a Painter 6 Custom Palette that won't open in Painter 7, Painter 8, or Painter IX.

The link that says Download Painter 5.5.BRS is a brush library download that appears to contain mostly installed Painter 5 or 5.5 brush categories and brush variants that he should not be distributing since they're part of the licensed software. Ryan should only be distributing his own custom brush variants or custom brush variants created by friends who have given him permission to distribute them. (Unless he has permission from Corel to share them and in that case it should be stated clearly that he has permission from Corel.)

If you have Painter IX or Painter 8, you already have the Painter 5 default brush library on the Painter IX CD or on Painter 8 CD 2. As far as I have been able to determine, the Painter 5 and Painter 5.5 brushes are the same.

If you want to have Ryan Church's custom brush variants, I suggest that you write to him and ask him to compile them in a custom brush library so you'll know it's OK for you to have them because they're his to share. I don't think you'll need to do that, however, because:

If you scroll down the page on Ryan's site (http://www.ryanchurch.com/03HIW.htm), you'll see the list of brush variants Ryan uses in Painter IX since that's the Painter version he's using now. They're also listed below along with instructions for where to find them if you have Painter IX:

square chalk - in the Painter IX Chalks category

digital airbrush - in the Painter IX Airbrushes category

frosty water - on the Painter IX CD: CPainterIX > Extras > Brushes > Painter 5 Brushes > Water

water rake (5.5) - on the Painter IX CD: CPainterIX > Extras > Brushes > Painter 5 Brushes > Water

camel hair (5.5) - (the correct name for this brush variant is Camel Hair Brush) on the Painter IX CD: CPainterIX > Extras > Brushes > Painter 5 Brushes > Brush

glow - in the Painter IX F/X cagetory

water color (5.5) - on the Painter IX CD: CPainterIX > Extras > Brushes > Painter 5 Brushes > Water Color

eraser - in the Painter IX Erasers category

So, as long as you have Painter IX, you have everything Ryan is using except any custom brush variants he might have... .which he does not list as ones he uses anyway.

heythatreallyhurts
11-19-2005, 10:51 AM
Oooh, I had no idea all that stuff was on the Painter CD! This is awesome, I've got like 20 new brush libraries to play with! Thanks for sharing the info.

But here's another question. Does the "Thick and Thin Pencil" from the Pencils category in the Painter 5 brush library work for anyone else? I get the same error with that variant with both Ryan's BRS file and the Painter 5 brush library on the Painter IX CD. It says: Error in "Thick and Thin Pencil.XML" line 6 column 23: not well-formed (invalid token). Apparently, the file on the Painter IX CD was messed up. Not that it's that big a deal, but is there a fix for this?

Jinbrown
11-20-2005, 08:35 AM
hey....,

I get the same error message but when I keep clicking the OK button, the error message finally stops and the brush variant works.

It doesn't matter anyway because....

You already have the Pencil's Thick and Thin Pencil variant in the default Painter IX Painter Brushes library.

Spend some time getting familiar with what's available to you already in Painter IX. ;)

A lot of the more basic brush variants are carried through from version to version, the Pencils' Thick and Thin Pencil variant being a good example.

Loupblanc
11-20-2005, 02:43 PM
grrrrr :( how stupid i am when i realized that the sit extension is just a compression.
so i really thank you all for helping me. now the brushes set are avalble under painter 7:)
thank you
fab

heythatreallyhurts
11-20-2005, 10:24 PM
hey....,

I get the same error message but when I keep clicking the OK button, the error message finally stops and the brush variant works.

It doesn't matter anyway because....

You already have the Pencil's Thick and Thin Pencil variant in the default Painter IX Painter Brushes library.

Spend some time getting familiar with what's available to you already in Painter IX. ;)

A lot of the more basic brush variants are carried through from version to version, the Pencils' Thick and Thin Pencil variant being a good example.

Yeah, that's why I said it wasn't a big deal. I just hate getting error messages. You know, I get everything set up just the way I like, and then I get an error message that I can't do anything about. That's just me being anal, though.

Thanks for the info, though; I'm having a blast messing with these new libraries!

zerae
11-28-2005, 02:38 PM
I also don't understand what's up with the brushes at Ryan Church's site I tried them with his custom palette but even brushes like the square chalk he uses is not available?? As far as I can tell it's just the standard 5.5 and a custom for brushes that are not in the library he supplies.

DigArts
12-04-2005, 05:11 PM
If you're using Painter 7, Painter 8, or Painter IX, you should know that's not true. Painter 6 and earlier version brush libraries can be Imported, then Loaded into Painter 7, Painter 8, and Painter IX, easily.
Hi Jin,

Probably should mention that while it's easy enough to import brushes from earlier versions, they don't necessarily arrive with the same settings and may not perform as intended.

Newer versions of Painter will change some settings during the conversion. If possible, try to review the brush settings in the original version of Painter so you will know what corrections to make after importing to a newer version of Painter. That's especially true with brushes created in Painter 6.

One common error is in Expression settings where Source is substituted for Random during import, likely because of the later addition of a Rotation setting. Needless to say, changing expression can alter the rendering characteristics of a brush substantially.

Dennis @ DigArts
http://www.gardenhose.com (http://www.gardenhose.com/)
Electronic paints for electronic artists

Jinbrown
12-05-2005, 12:23 AM
Hi Dennis,

Thanks for the tip about changed settings. I'd never noticed that and assumed the brush technology was responsible for any differences from older version brushes to newer Painter versions.

The Painter 6 Water Color variants are a prime example when imported into Painter 7 as the new Water Color technology introduced in Painter 7 is entirely different. Painter 6 Water Color brushes can't be made to work in Painter 7 the way they did in Painter 6 no matter how much we adjust brush controls.

Since I have the older versions installed, back to Painter 5, if I find something odd from now on, I'll try to make time to compare settings.

Even so, the Painter 8 and Painter IX Airbrushes variants simply would not work the same as in earlier versions, thus the fix in the Painter IX 9.1 Update. That qualified as a bug and a real disappointment for people using Airbrushes variants a lot.

Merry Christmas!

Happy Holidays to those who don't celebrate Christmas!

DigArts
12-05-2005, 04:52 PM
Thanks for the tip about changed settings. I'd never noticed that and assumed the brush technology was responsible for any differenced from older version brushes to newer Painter versions.
Hi Jin,

You're welcome.

Yes, and since rotation is added to a variety of expression settings the change can really confound performance unless you know what to look for and where to look for it.

Happy Holidays,

Dennis @ DigArts (http://www.gardenhose.com/)
Digital Paints for Digital Painters

CGTalk Moderation
12-05-2005, 04:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.