PDA

View Full Version : Render Farm without Maya installed?

CGIJ
11-17-2005, 12:00 PM
Hi!
Maybe my question is a bit odd, but I just have to ask that.
I'm working with Maya at home and would have access to a "render farm" (I read this expression here, I hope thats the right word. I mean a network of 20 MACs and one with 40 PCs). Is it possible to use this for rendering a bigger project/movie I create at home? Those Computers do not have Maya installed but I don't know if there's another possibility to use their computing power to render the movie. Maybe something like a client without the program itself?

dann_stubbs
11-18-2005, 01:50 AM
Hi!
Maybe my question is a bit odd, but I just have to ask that.
I'm working with Maya at home and would have access to a "render farm" (I read this expression here, I hope thats the right word. I mean a network of 20 MACs and one with 40 PCs). Is it possible to use this for rendering a bigger project/movie I create at home? Those Computers do not have Maya installed but I don't know if there's another possibility to use their computing power to render the movie. Maybe something like a client without the program itself?

your maya cd's have an option to just install the render node (maya 7 ones at least do)

this is all you need to install on them - now managing them is a different story...

you will need a render manager to control them all at once - or you can go from computer to computer starting a command line render using the -rep flag and pointing them all to a common save directory. would be a lot of work manually but still faster then rendering on 1 computer alone.

dann

CGIJ
11-18-2005, 11:05 AM
Hey, thanks!
I'll try that as soon as I get home.

But two questions left:
1. Are there any limitations of nodes I can use?
2. Can you recommend any tutorial for my purpose? I think there should be some, but before I search and compare them all, maybe you have a good suggestion for me. :)

dann_stubbs
11-18-2005, 01:52 PM
Hey, thanks!
I'll try that as soon as I get home.

But two questions left:
1. Are there any limitations of nodes I can use?
2. Can you recommend any tutorial for my purpose? I think there should be some, but before I search and compare them all, maybe you have a good suggestion for me. :)

well it is maya software renderer - mental ray costs per cpu

as for tutorial - can't really think of anything - it is just a command line render engine so type render -h and get a listing of all the commands you can use.

maybe a google search would turn up something that can help if you search a bit

dann

CGTalk Moderation
11-18-2005, 01:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.