PDA

View Full Version : Double translations Linked XForm Heelllpp !!!

ashishdantu
11-17-2005, 10:05 AM
Hello people..

was wondering how to solve the classic "double transformation" which happens on a mesh with skin and linked-XForm applied on it.

I have a skeleton and a mesh skinned to it. then i have certain vertices selected using softselection and used a Linked Xform on the stack. I have a dummy to act as that XForm's control object. every thing is fine.. till now. when i parent the dummy to the skeleton and move the skeleton, the vertices linked to the xform double translate.. i know this is because it has inflence of the skin and the l.Xform modifier, so it results in a double transformation.

My ques is how to overcome this ?? i have looked everywhere but no clear cut answer i 've found. i get this even with the "back transform " option on the Xform modifier on ??

wud appreciate any help.. on fixing it. or is there any way we can tell the dummy to follow the spine bone with out resulting in the double transformation ? i tried wiring , position constraints..etc.. but how do we tell the modifier to do its stuff > with respect to the dummy's local translations, not the world !!! AND is there a way to write independant runtime expressions, say to manipulate an object's pivot, like expressions in maya ???

any help is deeeply appreciated.. sory if this might be a repetition, but this is much needed ..
cheers,

Aearon
11-17-2005, 10:11 AM
can you tell us what you want to do? maybe there's another solution

for example maybe you could do what you're doing with the linked xform with the skin below (e.g. instead of changing your soft selected verts with linked xform, you just could skin them to your dummy within the skin modifier below)

ashishdantu
11-17-2005, 11:04 AM
hi Aearon,

thanx for the reply man.. well. i cud do what u said.. but its the extra control i get with the Linked XForm effecting, the mesh,,, i'm after.

i have a charac with a big tummy. i have 3 spines and r smoothly skinned to the torso. Now b'se he has a big tummy and short legs, when he does a leg lift or a spine bend forward, his tummy looses volume, i have the frontal part of the tummy XFormed to a dummy, using soft selection. all i want now is when the COG is moved, i want the dummy to move along with the spine and animator can use this dummy to animate the tummy jiggle...and ajust the tummy if its neeeded to stop crushing into the legs or what ever..

so how do i parent or move the dummy (the target to the l.Xform) along with the biped, and still avoid the double transformation of vertices ??

hope i'm clear ?

rgds,

Aearon
11-17-2005, 12:25 PM
you can totally do this with skinning, you can paint the weights for the dummy, just like you would paint/select with a soft selection for the linked xform

ashishdantu
11-19-2005, 02:42 AM
hi Aearon,

yep !, i cud do it with skinning but yet sometimes, linked XForm can be useful for say facial animation....

this can be used to exagerate facial expressions after u run out of range in ur morpher.. use ur morpher to 100 and then u can have these dummys to lift a brow up..more.. just one example i want to use the linked Xform for..

but hasnt anyone used it successfully , hand in hand with skinning ?? or is there any other method where i can have "clusters" like controls, to act on top of the skin modifier and yet translate these controls with the rig without resulting in double transformation ?

rgds,

CGTalk Moderation
11-19-2005, 02:42 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.