PDA

View Full Version : Strange render issue

rsquires
11-17-2005, 04:54 AM
When I render a sequence I occasionally have this problem. The render window says saving file and hangs on say frame 88 of 500 (this figure is changeable). However the app hasn't crashed and if I stop the render, and look at what has been rendered it appears that rather than stopping it has actually continued even though the render window wasn't updating. The weirdest thing was that if I moused over a menu the render would continue updating in the viewport. As soon as the menu disappears back to frozen viewport. Also if I resized the viewport a little it would update the white render lines and show that the next frame was in the process of rendering.

The file I was working on was using Jenna 2.25 and CPT Heirachy to spline and so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I am just testing Jenna and there doesn't seem to be a problem. I was also hiding the interface and browsing but that shouldn't cause this problem, as I am doing it now without issue

I also found that once this happens the app becomes "lazy" so that if you add a cube primitive in a new scene it doesn't show up in the viewport until you move the view around. The only way around this is to reboot

Does anyone know why this would happen or whether it sounds like a familiar problem that others have encountered. Is this the symptom of a memory leak?

regards

Richard

mmhnemo
11-17-2005, 09:20 AM
Im on 9.5 and I can confirm the 'laziness' you mention. It is rather painful to move the viewport all the time to get an updated screen. :sad:

Your rendering bug has not gotten me yet but thats beacause i rarely do animations with more than 15 frames.

MJV
11-17-2005, 09:31 AM
When I've had this in the past I found it was caused by not having restarted the computer for a very long time.

When I render a sequence I occasionally have this problem. The render window says saving file and hangs on say frame 88 of 500 (this figure is changeable). However the app hasn't crashed and if I stop the render, and look at what has been rendered it appears that rather than stopping it has actually continued even though the render window wasn't updating. The weirdest thing was that if I moused over a menu the render would continue updating in the viewport. As soon as the menu disappears back to frozen viewport. Also if I resized the viewport a little it would update the white render lines and show that the next frame was in the process of rendering.

The file I was working on was using Jenna 2.25 and CPT Heirachy to spline and so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I am just testing Jenna and there doesn't seem to be a problem. I was also hiding the interface and browsing but that shouldn't cause this problem, as I am doing it now without issue

I also found that once this happens the app becomes "lazy" so that if you add a cube primitive in a new scene it doesn't show up in the viewport until you move the view around. The only way around this is to reboot

Does anyone know why this would happen or whether it sounds like a familiar problem that others have encountered. Is this the symptom of a memory leak?

regards

Richard

dann_stubbs
11-17-2005, 11:43 AM

i've seen similar in render updates in 9.5 - this has been mentioned to maxon by a couple users - to me it seems to be a sort of threading issue where screen updates are not being made appropriately

i'm waiting to see if it is fixed in the next bug fix version before mentioning it again...

dann

rsquires
11-17-2005, 07:56 PM
Thanks guys for the feedback. At least it's not me. What is frustrating is that I did some tests and couldn't for the life of me pin it down to anything. I did a Jenna test, a Jenna+CPT test and these all rendered fine with no sign of the problem. I was moving around from app to app and opening and closing windows and it didn't affect it at all.

The fact is the render works and can be seen updating with the menus hilighted. It's just Cinema needs rebooting.

cheers

reg

rsquires
12-07-2005, 04:24 AM
This just hit me again. It's very very annoying. I used to have no problems with Cinema 4D at all it was rock solid. But it keeps crashing and is nowhere near as stable as I was used to. Trouble is it never used to crash at all which I guess is something of a rarity in software. I do have a few plugins but only the same ones I have been using for years without this issue

Dann are you saying there will be any more bug fixes? I am using 9.5.21

It's a crazy issue. I hold down the move icon in the top left of the picture viewer and the renderlines start scanning again. Soon as I mouse off the lines stop and it appears stalled. It's still rendering though. Most frustrating I have to say

regards

richard

dann_stubbs
12-07-2005, 12:50 PM
Dann are you saying there will be any more bug fixes? I am using 9.5.21

It's a crazy issue. I hold down the move icon in the top left of the picture viewer and the renderlines start scanning again. Soon as I mouse off the lines stop and it appears stalled. It's still rendering though. Most frustrating I have to say

as for other bug fixes - i can't really say for that since that would be maxon area - my thoughts are this is fixed in the current 9.521 version as i've not seen any complaints about it - but i've not had much time myself lately to use the last release - but i dont' recall seeing it happen the bit i had.

have you made any changes at all? ever thought about trying new preferences? maybe you turned on some openGL setting that is creating the issue?

have to tried taking the 3rd party plugins out just to see if it goes away?

dann

rsquires
12-07-2005, 11:21 PM
I installed a fresh copy of Cinema 4D 9 and updated to 9.5 then 9.5.21. All my serials were picked up from the old versions so that was something I didn't have to worry about. I have transported some but not all of my most used plugins and it seems to working ok. It's actually a good exercise as I have some very old stuff in there I hardly use and/or is out of date.

I feel there may have been an issue as I had "Active Object Plane" ticked in my OGL prefs. When I reinstalled this wasn't ticked. Seems like it may have been an OGL issue as it was purely to do with the interface updating. Also the pop up warning did state that these instability issues can take a while to manifest themselves, very much like my experience, where it would work for the better part of a morning then crap out. First thing this morning I tested on my old install and it happened about 20 minutes in.

My fingers are crossed on this but if anyone can enlighten me on what are the best OGL settings for a Mac with their crappy OGL ability I'd appreciate it.

regards

rich

CGTalk Moderation
12-07-2005, 11:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.