View Full Version : Happy Feet Trailer Online Now

asparapani
11-17-2005, 04:27 AM
Here it is folks!

http://www2.warnerbros.com/happyfeet/

Have fun!

Brettzies
11-17-2005, 04:35 AM
Damn. Not what I expected at all...it kind of looks, real? From the motion to the renders it looks nice and well, sorta real? Hard to tell what the look is from these puny internet trailers though. Is it suppose to have a realistic look? Pretty cool...no pun intended. Looks fun.

edit/ the quicktime looks better(more clear) and is a little bigger

edit/ I don't know what the movie is about really, but I like the teaser/trailer. I watched it like 4 times. That little baby penguin is pretty cute at the end.

Some of those dancing penguins in the crowd at the beginning almost look like men in suits. Is that possibly motion capture applied to pengiun rigs somehow? or just really fluid motion? I must know. Nah, it can't be. Just human looking motion done really well I hope.

asparapani
11-17-2005, 05:12 AM
Some of those dancing penguins in the crowd at the beginning almost look like men in suits. Is that possibly motion capture applied to pengiun rigs somehow? or just really fluid motion? I must know. Nah, it can't be. Just human looking motion done really well I hope.

Nope that's mocap alright.

Brettzies
11-17-2005, 05:23 AM
Nope that's mocap alright.Interesting. Now I'm curious, does the film rely a lot on mocap? Seems like it would be strange to do for penguins but I guess it's possible for certain movements. Would definetly be an interesting use for it. Given the "realistic?" look, it might fit well. Eh...regardless, I enjoyed this.

KOKE
11-17-2005, 05:37 AM
looks really nice and the animation os pretty sweet.

By the name of the film I was surely not expecting to see penguins.

:D

asparapani
11-17-2005, 05:43 AM
Much of the character performance is mocap. Acting, dancing etc....There is a great deal of keyframing related to swimming, flying, landing on rocks, natural penguin behavior, etc. It looks GREAT and they have a solid animation team over there.

gjpetch
11-17-2005, 05:43 AM
Hee he....
penguins in the crowd at the beginning almost look like men in suits. Is that possibly motion capture applied to pengiun rigs somehow?

Those are some damned nice looking dancing penguins though, the lighting and shading is awsome, and to me the faces are looking surprisingly expressive for penguins. Congrats guys.

Julius
11-17-2005, 05:52 AM
Looks great, wd :) I wasnt expecting penguins either :D

GregRinaldi
11-17-2005, 07:30 AM
Sorry, but mocapping a dancing man and then applying that motion to a photorealistic penquin is recipe for disaster. Some of the keyframed performance stuff looks nice, but the mocap looks extraordinarily out of place. Seems to me like some of these so-called "animated" films are starting to rely too heavily on mocap for stuff that would be much better suited to key-framing.

Kind of creeps me out, to be honest. :eek:

I really dislike the character designs as well, it just looks like a bunch of generic penguins. I went through the whole trailer not knowing who the main character(s) were.

vangaans
11-17-2005, 09:20 AM
Great work! Looks really nice! Well done to all involved.

MattEveritt
11-17-2005, 09:40 AM
Hmm The whole thing looks...strange. Nice and also appealing but strange non the less.

Some of the penguins do look like people in penguin suits but i'm not sure i have a problem with it cos i quite like the idea.

Are all the voices Robbin Williams?

apoc519
11-17-2005, 01:52 PM
what studio is working on this?

Chris-TC
11-17-2005, 01:54 PM
Is this actually the first feature length CG film that's presented in cinemascope?
The trailer seems pretty cool to me. I'm so tired of the plain old comic look that I'm really looking forward to seeing this one in theaters.

Velk
11-17-2005, 02:10 PM
Was it just me or did the music really seem out of place?

j alan hawkins
11-17-2005, 03:37 PM
I'm imagining a man in a penguin suit in a mocap suit dancing around :) but i'm sure thats not right.

rcronin
11-17-2005, 05:59 PM
what studio is working on this?

Animal Logic Australia.

rstratton
11-17-2005, 06:28 PM
does anyone know what the movie is suppose to be about..???...is it just penguins dancing for 2 hours...?? :hmm:

agreenster
11-17-2005, 06:55 PM
"Why are you hugging me? He told me to.....get away....no you like it!!" :D

I think it looks funny.

Robin Williams in yet another animated film. I like that they arent promoting the crap out of him being in it though. Seems like a good role for him tho

RobertoOrtiz
11-17-2005, 07:13 PM
Why are you hugging me? He told me to.....get away....no you like it!! :D

I think it looks funny.

Robin Williams in yet another animated film. I like that they arent promoting the crap out of him being in it though

But you got to admit that he was funny in the trailer...
:)

The trailer looks NICE.

-R

agreenster
11-17-2005, 07:14 PM
I wasnt doggin him!? I LOVE Robin Williams. I'm just happy that they arent over-promoting him

Breinmeester
11-17-2005, 07:37 PM
Hmm.... It feels very strange to me...

Strange title, wasn't expecting an icy landscape.... and then that out of place music...
...next we see photoreal penguins animated like men in suits with comical jokes that don't fit with the character design and the animation.... ....all of them look alike...and what's with the African/Jamacain accents??

....and what is it about exactly..???

Also, I thought the titles were pretty ugly...

....I don't know about this one....:shrug:

asparapani
11-17-2005, 08:27 PM
does anyone know what the movie is suppose to be about..???...is it just penguins dancing for 2 hours...?? :hmm:

I must admit the teaser has done a great job in not revealing any story content. You'll just have to wait till Novemberrrrrr.....06

dodgy
11-17-2005, 09:29 PM
its a musical..."Put that thing back where it came from or so help me..."

unchikun
11-17-2005, 09:40 PM
and what's with the African/Jamacain accents??

I thought Robin Williams' accent was Puerto Rican.

Reggae seems a peculiar choice for music.

ajsfuxor
11-17-2005, 10:19 PM
Either way, the lighting and the look of the film is quite amazing. Any idea what renderer they are using on this? The only thing which im not too sure about is all the penguins looks very much alike.

Good work though guys!

Ronski
11-17-2005, 10:49 PM
I think the music was by the Brand New Heavies - Jump 'n' Move (feat. Jamalski), though I wonder how much this trailer actually has to do with the movie? Only time will tell I guess.

Cheers,
Kieron

asparapani
11-17-2005, 11:19 PM
Either way, the lighting and the look of the film is quite amazing. Any idea what renderer they are using on this? The only thing which im not too sure about is all the penguins looks very much alike.

Good work though guys!

Renderman....

kevan
11-17-2005, 11:36 PM
Like many others, I think it looks a bit odd, and yet strangely compelling. The lighting/rendering is pretty yum, with the animation looking good too.

That said, I wish Robin Williams would stop now. His performance is fine, but there are too many films featuring his voice. It's the same when I watch a Jack Nicholson film - he isn't the character, he's Jack Nicholson, throwing me out of the film and dumping me unceremoniously back into my seat with the teenager glued to their text message and the screaming toddler two rows back.

Am I making any sense? Maybe I should just go and mumble to myself in the corner...

K

(Good work AL!!!)

RobertoOrtiz
11-18-2005, 05:58 AM
I thought Robin Williams' accent was Puerto Rican.

Reggae seems a peculiar choice for music.

You know, you might be right. He sounds like my dad in this movie.

-R

EpShot
11-18-2005, 06:16 AM
i have to admit, i'v ewatched this trailer 4 or 5 times over the past 2 days. It manages to make me chuckle each time, an di like the rythm and dancing. Th emo-cap strangely enough doe snot bother me at all. feels clean enough i guess. I love the little penguin at the end doing his lil stomp =)

MarkusM
11-18-2005, 06:19 AM
I'm sure I'll get in trouble for this... but you gotta love a penguin movie!
Can't wait to see this one finally.

nickepstein
11-18-2005, 01:50 PM
hmmmmmmmm - split down the middle...

imo i think the mocapped animation looks pretty out of place, but thats a hell of alot of penguins to be animating completely by hand, even with any sort of crowd system/choreographer. I definitely DON'T like the music at all, -- maybe that won't be the music theme all the way through? (it is a musical after all).

the characters do look a little generic, but its only a teaser - not sure if we are actually supposed to identify with anyone from that -- someone said they didn't reveal any of the story so i'm going to wait and see.

i have a few friends working on the lighting/shading side of things over there and thats one thing i definitely liked about it, although there is something that just doesn't feel 'right' -- a bit like polar express, maybe its the mocap?

i love robin williams though so i think this has potential (elijah wood & nicole kidman are also in it)

Nando
11-18-2005, 05:41 PM
although there is something that just doesn't feel 'right' -- a bit like polar express, maybe its the mocap?

Yep its the Mocap...

I viewed the trailer, without the audio, (office must be shoosh here) and I was like what the Fudge....

I havent reviewed it over with audio, since I was thrown off by the strange looking Mocap.
Try it without audio youll see what i mean. ;)

ajsfuxor
11-19-2005, 12:40 AM
If they are using Renderman, would they be using GI to get that "GI look" or is it just good lighting with conventional lights? The lighting really does look fantastic,

Strang
11-20-2005, 12:36 AM
the fat rockhopper penguin at the end looks awesome... artistically and technically

i will see it..

Mysterious X
11-20-2005, 05:56 AM
Director: George Miller
Screenwriter: Warren Coleman, John Collee, George Miller, Judy Morris
Starring: Nicole Kidman, Elijah Wood, Robin Williams, Hugh Jackman, Brittany Murphy, Carlos Alazraqui, Denise Blasor, Khamani Griffin, Alyssa Shafer, Alyssa Smith, Magda Szubanski
Plot Summary: "Happy Feet" is a comedy adventure set in the land of the Emperor Penguins in the heart of Antarctica. These penguins sing, each needing their own special song to attract a soul mate. Unfortunately, our hero Mumble (Elijah Wood), son of Memphis (Hugh Jackman) and Norma Jean (Nicole Kidman), is the worst singer in the world... but he can tap dance something fierce!

that's what I found at comingsoon.net looks promising to me

apoc519
11-21-2005, 03:29 AM
what cg movie ISNT robin williams in?

EpShot
11-21-2005, 03:47 AM
Robots and...?
was there another one i missed?

asparapani
11-21-2005, 04:42 AM
what cg movie ISNT robin williams in?

All Pixar movies. All PDI movies. Ice Age. Happy Feet, Aladin, and Robots are the ONLY animated films he's performed in.

dax3d
11-21-2005, 04:39 PM
I just looked him up on IMDB and only saw Robots and Happy Feet for CG..and Alladin for 2d. Not too bad, there are at least that many with Mike Myers (CG I mean).

slaughters
11-21-2005, 06:10 PM
Nice teaser - Intriqued the viewer without giving away the best scenes from the movie.

I saw the Harry Potter film over the weekend and this teaser was shown. Out of all the previews shown before the film, this got the best response from the audience.

mangolass
11-21-2005, 08:16 PM
I just looked him up on IMDB and only saw Robots and Happy Feet for CG..and Alladin for 2d. Not too bad, there are at least that many with Mike Myers (CG I mean).

Check how many John Ratzenberger's been in ~

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001652/ (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001652/)

Cars, The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc., Toy Story 2, A Bug's Life, Toy Story

He's also been in Star Wars, Spirited Away, and maybe he's also the Pope? :)

LT

dax3d
11-21-2005, 09:42 PM
Yep, been watching John Ratzenberger since he was on Cheers. It was interesting to see he wouldn't do any voices for a non-Pixar Disney, since Pixar had been so good to him.

I don't think he has the same voice recognition to where I have heard several people complain about Robin Williams in "another" animated movie.

But back on topic, I thought the teaser for Happy Feet looked like fun.

Joss
11-21-2005, 10:47 PM
While we're on the subject of Penguins, I wonder if DreamWorks will make an entire feature with their little guys? Heh heh

They just had me rolling!

jeremybirn
11-21-2005, 10:54 PM
Ratzenberger's a great actor, and (living in California) the news about him being elected Pope didn't surprise me a bit. :)
http://www.clarkschpiell.com/home/popecliff.shtml

But back on topic, I thought the teaser for Happy Feet looked like fun.

Same here. I mentioned this in another thread, but I saw the whole theater respond really well to it before Harry Potter. If anybody still thinks mocap characters necessarily have to look like zombies, those penguins look like they will prove them wrong.

-jeremy

porl
11-22-2005, 06:02 AM
Same here. I mentioned this in another thread, but I saw the whole theater respond really well to it before Harry Potter. If anybody still thinks mocap characters necessarily have to look like zombies, those penguins look like they will prove them wrong.

-jeremy

That's good to hear!

unchikun
11-22-2005, 02:37 PM
While we're on the subject of Penguins, I wonder if DreamWorks will make an entire feature with their little guys? Heh heh

Don't know about Dreamworks but Sony is working on a penguin movie called Surfs Up... surfing penguins etc.

BeWare
11-22-2005, 09:15 PM
this is amazing! 12 more months expecting those penguins...

McGill
11-22-2005, 09:53 PM
I'm shocked people are actually excited about this. Am I missing something here? I mean, it's just a bunch of hip hop penguins.....right?

BeWare
11-22-2005, 10:02 PM
at first glance, that's what it might seem. But keep in mind it's extremely difficult to match what our perception of the real world is - in this case penguins - as we see them every day on TV, commercials and other mediums. And doing 1:30hr of dancing, talking...penguins must be even more of a daunting task.
Anyhow, we'll see next year. But from what the studio involved Animal Logic has done in the past (Matrix Reloaded, Hero, HP and the goblet of fire..), I'm sure it will be quite a piece of work!

jeremybirn
11-22-2005, 10:11 PM
That's good to hear!

Hey, Welcome to CGTalk, Porl!

-jeremy

gjpetch
11-22-2005, 11:06 PM
...Animal Logic has done in the past...(snip)...goblet of fire..

Actually, to my knowledge Animal Logic did no work for the final film; another Australian company called rising sun did do some work for the film though.

DorkmanScott
11-23-2005, 12:44 AM

They just had me rolling!

Last I heard, they had one in development.

I saw this teaser with Harry Potter. Up until the info from CS.net was posted above I had no idea what it was about, but I planned to see it anyway. Gave me a huge grin. Still does every time I watch it.

"Nah, you like it." :applause:

Silvergray
01-09-2006, 03:48 PM
All Pixar movies. All PDI movies. Ice Age. Happy Feet, Aladin, and Robots are the ONLY animated films he's performed in.

Fern Gully dude, Not to mention the beginning of Mrs. Doubtfire.
Can anyone think of any more?

SpiralFace
01-09-2006, 07:34 PM
I persoanlay did'nt get it.

I mean, the dancing penguins looked great and all, but the only thing this movie sold to me is great mo-cap, dancing penguins and Robin Williams. Do I realy want to see a feature length movie where the things they are marketing are these three things? (The mo-cap is'nt even appealing to a general audiance.)

So does anyone else know if there is an overall greater point to this movie to convince me to watch it for an Hour and a Half or more?

Strang
01-09-2006, 07:59 PM
I persoanlay did'nt get it...
...So does anyone else know if there is an overall greater point to this movie to convince me to watch it for an Hour and a Half or more?

if you haven't heard the plot, from IMDB...

"Into the world of the Emperor Penguins, who find their soul mates through song, a penguin is born who cannot sing. But he can tap dance something fierce!"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0366548/

so yeah its about dancing, but there is a reason to dance. he has to find himself a woman! there have been worse plots about finding a mate. :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-09-2006, 07:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.