PDA

View Full Version : cutting faces

Bsmith
11-16-2005, 08:17 PM
ok so this is prolly a dumb question. I made a move from maya to blender so I'm still trying to figure this out.

but is there a way to cut/divide a face without just doing the subdivide (which divides the face equally. Like create a new edge but you draw the edge. Not sure if I'm explaining this right.

also how do I create splines?

LetterRip
11-16-2005, 08:36 PM
you can use loop subdivide - ctrl r in editmode.

or knife subdivide shift k in editmode

Splines as in modeling are via the curve menu via the space bar (Space>add>curve) then you can extrude them, etc.

(although I really don't use them so can't help you much there)

LetterRip

Bsmith
11-16-2005, 08:56 PM
it might be the knife sub divide...but how do I use it? Everytime I make a line (yellow) and then RMB click the line disappears.

the loop subdivide is ok for doing that all around the object, but I want to cut just one face.

LetterRip
11-16-2005, 09:06 PM
If you look at the header it tells you what keys to use

LMB adds a cut line, Enter applies the cut.

LetterRip

Bsmith
11-16-2005, 10:20 PM
er, its not really doing what I want it to..

when I apply the knife cut, it cuts the face into thirds along with another face connected to it

LetterRip
11-16-2005, 10:47 PM
could you do a screen shot of what is happening, and of what you want?

Blender doesn't have ngon support so it may have to add extra edges to result in a valid cut.

LetterRip

Apollux
11-16-2005, 11:56 PM
er, its not really doing what I want it to..

when I apply the knife cut, it cuts the face into thirds along with another face connected to it
First, the Knife tool only works on the edges that were already selected before you used the tool.. so if you want to cut a set of edges (like the ones forming a face), first select those edges and them call the Knife command. Same holds true for all the subdivide commands.

Imagine you have 2 faces side-to-side, each one made of 4 edges. If you cut one of them in half along the commond edge, in theory you should end with 3 faces, 2 small ones made of 4 edges each, and a bigger one made of 5 edges... there is the cacht, Blender doesn't supports 5 sided faces, so that face gets triangulated untill the pieces are made of 4 or less sides.

Of course, you could create a fake poligon with all the pices and it will LOOK LIKE a 5 sided poligon.

CGTalk Moderation
11-16-2005, 11:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.