PDA

View Full Version : How Was That Done? Ghosting/Phantom View

justwakinup
11-16-2005, 08:01 PM
Kevin Hulseys website is great inspiration. I have a question that I hope someone will be able to answer. If you take a look at the bottom of the page @ this link ( http://www.khulsey.com/style.html) you will see something that resembles a oil filter. He applies what he terms ghosting/phantom view to the filter on the right. It looks extremely clean with no edges. Now I have to assume with my years of photoshop work that it is a mask of sorts with somewhat of a feather on it. But when i attempt it i always get a hard edge or I should say a noticable edge.
Any thoughts on how this may have been achieved? He does it on alot of his images and it is a rather great effect.

norbykov
11-17-2005, 02:48 PM
I think it IS a mask, with a feather on it. At least that's how I usually do it.

mofo101
11-17-2005, 05:02 PM
I would say its just a very large, very soft edged brush, you should try setting it with lower opacity also, and just clicking a few times where you want it to show through, another way might be to select a bit less than you want to remove, then cranke up the feather and hit delete a few times, that should get a very soft edge. this should help, if not let me know, and I will see if there is anything I missed :thumbsup:

Velk
11-17-2005, 05:18 PM
The very best way would be to use a layer mask. Remember that in a layer mask White hides layers underneath, Black shows layers underneath and 50% Grey is like 50% Opacity. The easiest way to do this is to make a selection and then place a heavy feather on it, click the mask icon, then invert the mask.

Steep
11-17-2005, 09:37 PM
The very best way would be to use a layer mask. Remember that in a layer mask White hides layers underneath, Black shows layers underneath and 50% Grey is like 50% Opacity. The easiest way to do this is to make a selection and then place a heavy feather on it, click the mask icon, then invert the mask.

I'd have agree, though he could have selected the area, made a layer mask, gone to channels - alpha - and then added a gradient effect to the selection so that the middle would be 100% opaque and at a certain intervals taper off. There are several ways it could have been done; it's all however you want to go about it.

Velk
11-18-2005, 01:46 AM
I'd have agree, though he could have selected the area, made a layer mask, gone to channels - alpha - and then added a gradient effect to the selection so that the middle would be 100% opaque and at a certain intervals taper off. There are several ways it could have been done; it's all however you want to go about it.
Ha! thats what I love about PS, there are at least 6 ways of doing everything.

justwakinup
11-18-2005, 07:43 PM
I've tried several of those techniques but there is still one thing puzzling me that I just can't figure.
If you look at the oil filter at the bottom of the page, you see where he has left faint traces of the white lines and faint traces of the black outlines of the squares that are located at the bottom of the filter. But just to the right or left of those lines it is completely opaque. It's as if he has made certain areas of the mask not have any opacity.....Anymore ideas guys, Im open to suggestions here. I would love to duplicate this effect...thanks

mofo101
11-18-2005, 11:47 PM
well, you could try cutting the part you want seen and putting it on top of the top layer...again with lots of feather around the edge.

Jack Youngblood
12-09-2005, 07:19 PM
I've tried several of those techniques but there is still one thing puzzling me that I just can't figure.
If you look at the oil filter at the bottom of the page, you see where he has left faint traces of the white lines and faint traces of the black outlines of the squares that are located at the bottom of the filter. But just to the right or left of those lines it is completely opaque. It's as if he has made certain areas of the mask not have any opacity.....Anymore ideas guys, Im open to suggestions here. I would love to duplicate this effect...thanks

My guess: To get this effect duplicate an un-masked version of your 'outer shell' and clip it to the masked version. Now set it to 'screen'. Not near PS now so only guessing. You might need to fiddle with it a bit.

CGTalk Moderation
12-09-2005, 07:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.