PDA

View Full Version : Lion-o

Zephyri
11-16-2005, 04:37 PM
Hrmm.. are we allowed fanart on here? It's not something I usually indulge in, but after I found the most fantastic site about 80s cartoons, and relived my childhood all over again, squeeling loudly over shows such as Bucky O Hare, Bravestarr, Jayce and the wheeled warriors and She Ra, I nearly fell over backwards when I found a video file of the start of the Thundercats. Reminded me how totally awesome traditional animation can be, and how fantastic the show used to be. So I immediately grabbed my tablet and started sketching. And I liked the result enough to want to finish it. Knowing my track record, it ain't likely... but you never know. I might call it technique practice.

So here we have Lion-o, taking a break from Thundercatting and fighting evil toilet-paper covered bad guys. Just cause he's a sexy kitty... rawr.

Taken about 3-4 hours so far, in PSCS2, and I've used various refs from the show and a couple of photo refs to help me place features in the right place, like eyes, nose, fingers, that sort of thing.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/xephyri/lion-o.jpg

BlueNyte
11-16-2005, 05:03 PM
This is awesome. Are you going to take it all the way?

Elsie
11-16-2005, 08:28 PM
Hehe very cool stuff Sam ^_^ The expression is looking fab, and I love the hair and the shades used on it so far - more updates please! :D

Zephyri
11-17-2005, 02:19 PM
Thanks for the feedabck guys, Bluenyte, yes, I truly hope so! And Elsie thanks, and more updates right here...

Decided to expand on the picture and put in something for the fellas. *grin* Cheetara, along with She Ra were probably my two favourite female cartoon characters.. which thinking about it explains a lot.

Thoughts on any of the anatomy here or composition are very welcome. There's something odd about cheetara's body that i can't quite figure, I've tried flipping it both vertically and horizontally and can't make out what And apologies for the horrendously bright colouring, I'm working on a mac, and having seen it on a pc, I realise the saturation has gone haywire, to say the least. Hopefully this one shouldn't be as bad.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/xephyri/lion-o2.jpg

TheFirstAngel
11-17-2005, 03:01 PM
cool kitties, knowing your amazing rendering skills i'm looking forward to your progress on this with great expectations hun! keep em coming my sweet Lady!

Squibbit
11-17-2005, 04:53 PM
very cool :thumbsup:

ahh, those old time cartoons...

Zephyri
11-22-2005, 01:12 PM
Angel Thanks hun.. this pic has grabbed me like none of my others have for a while, so I may actually finish it

Squib yeah, we had the best cartoons through the 80s. Hurrah for 80s cheesy themetunes and great animation.

Done more work on the faces and dropped a photo background in for now, just to try and get a feel for the thing as a whole. Shadows just dropped in using layer effects for now, like the grass, I'll either paint them in from scratch or manipulate what I've dropped in.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v300/xephyri/lion-o3.jpg

Elsie
11-22-2005, 01:46 PM
Coming together nicely Sam :D although to me the picture seemed to have a better "weight" when Cheetara was at the top as she takes up less space and is clearly more slender. Still loving the colours on this one!

TheFirstAngel
11-24-2005, 09:38 PM
awesome progress on the characters Hun! Knowing your great skills, it will be a pleasurte to follow another work in progress of yours! keep up the great work!

CGTalk Moderation
11-24-2005, 09:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.