PDA

View Full Version : Flame (and Inferno?) now on Linux

Kai01W
11-16-2005, 08:19 AM
---

SAN RAFAEL, CA, USA, Nov. 15, 2005 Autodesk, Inc. (NASDAQ: ADSK) today launched its Academy Award-winning* Discreet Flame visual effects system on dual-core workstations running the Linux operating system. The Discreet Flame system is already available on workstations running the IRIX operating system. As a result, film studios, broadcasters and post-production facilities will have more flexibility and choice in shaping their digital content creation pipelines.

----

According to fxguide.com inferno will be linux too.

Not much technical specs other than the "dual core" thing. Oh well.

-k

knellotron
11-16-2005, 01:44 PM
That's cool news for me, but on the other hand, it's yet another sign that Irix is dying.

whtnoise
11-16-2005, 03:53 PM
bye-bye sgi...

leuey
11-16-2005, 04:06 PM
I don't think it's a sign Irix is dying - I mean FFI is probably some tiny percent of a percent of SGI's business. It does mean that Discreet isn't going to put all their eggs in the SGI basket - it's not like SGI is really doing a lof of R&D for Workstations suitable for media production. That and PC hardware has caught up (and surpassed in some cases). That's the issue - not Irix, which seems to be moving towards the massively scalar systems.

It's funny b/c SGI hardware used to be many 10's of thousands of dollars - the PC hardware these systems are on is only a few thousand bucks, but the price of the system is pretty much the same :hmm:

-Greg

toonpang
11-16-2005, 04:45 PM
Thats great news! Now they just need 3dsmax for OSX and Linux. :beer:

-Kevin

thomaspecht
11-16-2005, 05:31 PM
I don't think it's a sign Irix is dying ... not Irix, which seems to be moving towards the massively scalar systems.

i guess you're right in that sgi's markets lie elsewhere these days. but irix itself IS dying - sgi is migrating towards linux on itanium. ffi sure was nice PR for them so far. since ffi is rather closely tied to the proprietary sgi graphics cards, i would expect that soon the linux version will advance - different cards, faster cpu's. i bet there will be a wave of new features taking advantage of this that won't be implemented in an irix build.

opus13
11-16-2005, 09:53 PM
Interesting to note that flame and inferno are now based on Opteron instead of Xeon processors. Despite the AMD/IBM manufacturing and system partnerships, IBM has historically gone with Xeons for turnkey professional systems. This is actually a very telling choice, and speaks volumes about the upcoming processor generations.

When remaking such an established power-player like Discreet systems, you look years into the future... not just 'what's shaking' right now.

smoothoperator
11-17-2005, 12:20 PM
Can someone tell me a suitable systems spec to run these apps? including gfx card, memory etc. To get the kind of interactivity equiv or more from a sgi setup they once required.
Curious to see what it would take...
Thanks

mental
11-17-2005, 01:27 PM
When remaking such an established power-player like Discreet systems, you look years into the future... not just 'what's shaking' right now.
I'm sure you have already seen this on 2cpu:
AMD: Quad-core in 2007 (http://www.eetimes.com/news/semi/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=YDX3FHDJ2JZDEQSNDBECKH0CJUMEKJVN?articleID=173603258) (Link 2 (http://www.infoworld.com/article/05/11/15/HNamdopt_1.html)) (Link 3 (http://theinquirer.net/?article=27739%20))

leuey
11-17-2005, 05:23 PM
They're turnkey systems, so I don't think anybody knows what specs are suitable other than what they ship on (I would think you could find the specs on the discreet site) - I'm pretty sure they need the SDI Quadro card, duel procs, faaast raid.

-Greg

Can someone tell me a suitable systems spec to run these apps? including gfx card, memory etc. To get the kind of interactivity equiv or more from a sgi setup they once required.
Curious to see what it would take...
Thanks

opus13
11-17-2005, 06:57 PM
suck. ass.

its only going to be available for the japanese market. they will 'evaluate' other markets for now.

littlebluerobots
11-17-2005, 06:57 PM
Thats great news! Now they just need 3dsmax for OSX and Linux. :beer:

-Kevin

Be patient, and Hold your breath.....

Toxic as a base engine......
Coded in Python
On Linux
Max next generation.....
cant tell you what its going to be called tho....

:D

strosek
11-17-2005, 09:14 PM
Flame on linux. I have been waiting for this day for a very long time. This is great news :bounce:

Kai01W
11-18-2005, 09:17 AM
suck. ass.

its only going to be available for the japanese market. they will 'evaluate' other markets for now.

No, only the Linferno (inferno on linux) seems to be japan only. But it appears to be a linux flame bundled with 20 burn licenses. Bit strange, and it seems to cause a lot of "puzzled" reactions in the community.

-k

CGTalk Moderation
11-18-2005, 09:17 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.