PDA

View Full Version : Cropping / straightening photos in Photoshop changes resolution?

dĒvE
11-16-2005, 02:37 AM
I've been following the Lynda.com video tutorials on Photoshop CS 2 Essentials. One lesson focused on straightening images by cropping them. The process goes like this:

Find out angle with measure tool > create a crop at 6x4" or whatever your print size is going to be > rotate crop to desired angle > crop with a straightened image that is 6x4".

In the crop options area, there is a text field for resolution, I just left it blank like Mike did in the movie. Whenever I go and save my photos again as a .jpg the resolution goes from being 72 DPI to 359 DPI, which I though was an odd number.

Do I not need to worry about this? Or do I set the resolution to 300 DPI when I crop the image?

halo
11-16-2005, 12:33 PM
you've asked it to be 6x4 so PS has made it so, but because you didnt specify the resolution then its just adjusted the DPI without resampling to meet 6x4...ie you havent lost any pixels...if you enter an amount in that field then it will resample the image to accomodate both the size and the specified resolution.

dĒvE
11-16-2005, 09:55 PM
So when cropping like that, should I set the image resolution to 300? One day I'll get around to printing the photographs.

Thanks for your help.

CGTalk Moderation
11-16-2005, 09:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.