PDA

View Full Version : Any ideas for characters riding piggy back?

bradenbickle
11-16-2005, 02:37 AM
I have a character I want to ride piggy back on another character.

I'm trying to figure out the best and most flexible way to approach it.

I'm sure you dynamically parent something but I'm trying to decide if you parent the root of the "riding" character to the other character or is it the hips or the MASTER null?

Depending on which one of those is appropriate, what part of the character giving the piggy back ride would you parent it to? I think I just went cross eyed.

The decision isn't as difficult, of course, if the character stays riding forever, but he will need to hop on and off as well. That's why the solution would need to be dynamic.

Anywho. If anyone has done something like this, please tell.

Thanks in advance.

pelos
11-16-2005, 03:17 AM
well, you might whant to dynaic parent the hip of the cowboy to tone of the spine bones of the pig,
(rember that if the cowboy use ikgoal, those will stay parented to cowboymaster Null, that in this case i think this is better so you dont dynamic parent all of them to the pig, well maybe one arm you can do it, if he is grabing a rope to direct the piggy =))

stooch
11-16-2005, 03:16 PM
You only need dynamic parenting if you expect to perform the jump on / off in the same shot. You can easily break the actions into separate shots and have them permanently attached/separated.

bradenbickle
11-17-2005, 05:25 AM
I thought about that as well as it would probably be the easiest. I would just need to shoot around it so you never knew that was the case.

stooch
11-17-2005, 02:46 PM
i guess you can setup ik with controllers and then blend the positions of the controllers over to the targets which are parented to your mule character with sliders. Its something i played with in Maya but havent really explored in messiah.

bradenbickle
11-17-2005, 06:00 PM
Its something i played with in Maya but havent really explored in messiah.

Which one of the programs do you use most often? I keep toying with the idea of getting Maya, but I just don't want to start over having already made such an investment in Lightwave and Messiah and all the various plugins.

I do really like how smooth Messiah is.

stooch
11-17-2005, 08:28 PM
i prefer messiah for animation and lightwave for rendering/modeling maya is a good all around package, as far as investment, maya requires alot more $$$

anyway its all personal preference really, also depends on the type of work you do. All of my best work is with lightwave/messiah so far - however what works for me isnt necessarily what works for you.

hyenaman
11-18-2005, 09:59 AM
I have primarily been using maya for the past 4 and half years...
Just recently discovered Messiah...
quite ipressed with the set up abilities...
but how to go about getting a juicy rog like marek's...i have no clue...
But having udes maya yourself...i would like an honest opinion...
Thanks in advance..

stooch
11-18-2005, 02:57 PM
umm not following you? you want an opinion about what??? whats udes?

hyenaman
11-21-2005, 04:43 AM
OOps sorry!!
I couldnt read it myself....:pa serious case of "dinnowhatiwastypingcitis"....
Anywho....Here is the improved version of the post...

"I have primarily been using maya(for animaton) for the past 4 and half years...
quite impressed with the set up abilities...
but how i could go about getting a juicy rig like marek's(with auto secondaries,stretchy ik's etc)...i have no clue...does it involve scripting????
Having used maya yourself...Will you be able to give me a comparison in terms of setting up stuff...in terms of ,how difficult it is......
Thanks

P.s::)OK!here is the truth im jittery as hell about shifting software...I'm gonna have to ...cos cant afford Maya...so i guess im just trying to see if Messiah is worth the money i am gonna spend...

Layer01
11-21-2005, 03:19 PM
P.s::)OK!here is the truth im jittery as hell about shifting software...I'm gonna have to ...cos cant afford Maya...so i guess im just trying to see if Messiah is worth the money i am gonna spend...

i use XSI and Messiah. and its messiah i use the most atm, i invested in point oven pro so i can get my animation data out of messiah and into "insert app of choice* and also have some of Joe Cosman's training CD's. they are a MUST, without them i'd have learn't less in twice the time.
and soon Wegg will hopefully be putting out a render Turtorial CD, so well have one more valuable resource.
anyway what i'm saying is i'd get messiah, its a very good/fun app to learn and use, and it has a lot of power (even if some of it is hidden).

stooch
11-21-2005, 04:53 PM
OOps sorry!!
I couldnt read it myself....:pa serious case of "dinnowhatiwastypingcitis"....
Anywho....Here is the improved version of the post...

"I have primarily been using maya(for animaton) for the past 4 and half years...
quite impressed with the set up abilities...
but how i could go about getting a juicy rig like marek's(with auto secondaries,stretchy ik's etc)...i have no clue...does it involve scripting????
Having used maya yourself...Will you be able to give me a comparison in terms of setting up stuff...in terms of ,how difficult it is......
Thanks

yes it does involve scripting but its very easy to use scripts in messiah, i highly recommend the tutorial cds as well. also if you just go through the scripts, the short descriptions of each function go a long way to get you started, thats how i figured out most of it.

bradenbickle
11-21-2005, 11:25 PM
Boy, did this thread get hijacked or what?

I keep getting emails saying someone has replied and I think: "sweet, someone has advice" only to find zilch.

I like what you guys are talking about, but is it possible to start a new thread or something?

Thanks

hyenaman
11-22-2005, 06:22 AM
hey..
did just that...
here is the link to the new thread for anybody interested...
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?p=2843166#post2843166
Thanks

CGTalk Moderation
11-22-2005, 06:22 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.