PDA

View Full Version : 3dbuzz.com release free hammer videos

brian
11-16-2005, 01:25 AM
3dbuzz.com have released some free hammer VTMs today. These videos are aimed for the beginners.

The topics covered are...

-Getting Started
-Viewport Navigation
-Main Menubar
-Map View and Operations Toolbar
-Map Tools Bar
-Right Side Toolbar
-Status Bar
-Creating and Editing Geometry
-Texturing
-Entities I - Lights
-Entities II - Props

The Total Length is 1 hour and 25 minutes. More videos will be added.

You must be signed up to download. Enjoy! :thumbsup:

http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/sv_dl_list.php?c=37

-Brian

CGmonkey
11-16-2005, 04:23 AM
3dbuzz has lost its focus.. but as I'm working with the HL2 engine everyday at my current location I must say this is pretty sweet.

MOSS
11-16-2005, 04:46 AM
How can u say they have lost their focus? Where was their "focus" initially? I think they are doing a great job and their VTMs are continually getting better. I think people forget that its just a few people over at 3DBuzz trying to please a hell of a whole lot of people asking for different stuff. Thanks to them, and I hope to see more Source VTMs!

ThomasMahler
11-16-2005, 07:22 AM
Hammer time!

Da da da da da da da...

JDex
11-16-2005, 07:30 AM
I dunno... I think they're a bunch of really cool people trying to do way too much. There is no focus. I considered joining the paid program about a year ago, and chose not to since they delve into way to many things that are all over the place instead of getting in deep with anything, at least from what I've seen.

After seeing the topics that they've focused on in the year since, I'm pretty glad I put that money into focused training.

I do love those guys/gals though.

PyRoT
11-16-2005, 02:38 PM
I always thought taht the foxus was not to go into depth with anything but offer a very good introduction to many different things.

Tomek

MOSS
11-16-2005, 03:21 PM
I just hope they eventually do go into more advanced stuff, like houdini, and scripting in max and maya. I think they will get there one day.

darktding
11-16-2005, 03:35 PM
actually they ARE planning on releasing a houdini tutorials in the near future

enygma
11-16-2005, 03:38 PM
I'm not positive, but I think their 82 hour Mastering Maya: The Fundimentals DVD set has scripting in it. Although it would be neat to see them work on a Mastering Maya set for MEL, they have the Advanced Modeling set on the go at the moment. They had offered a Maya T online course for Member Sponsors a while back, but I wouldn't be surprised if they made that the focus of a Mastering Maya set in the future since now the TD course has been discontinued.

Drauga`dae
11-16-2005, 10:57 PM
Mastering Maya: The Fundamentals gets into everything, including scripting. Anyone that is serious about focused training in Maya to an intermediate to advanced level ought to look at the Mastering Maya series. The Fundamentals goes so far beyond the basics no one who hadn't done it would believe it. Still, I doubt there is anything I could say here that would persuade those who have made up their minds about what 3dbuzz is and isn't to give it a look. For those who haven't check out http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/sv_info_mfc.php and watch some of the student videos, they will give you a feel for what you are shown. Or for the Advanced Modelling http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/sv_info_mmam.php

Drauga`dae
CGB

busbyj
11-17-2005, 02:06 AM
"Lost focus"? I would have to disagree. As the creator of 3D Buzz, I believe I am qualified to state our focus. :) It has always been my mission to help people who want to learn, period. As long as people are getting the education they want, and our videos are helping them do it, then our mission has been successful.

Our topics vary among many different fields, primarily because there are a great many people out there who want to learn a wide variety of things. We know we cannot cater to everybody, though when we know we can put together a quality video to educate those looking for training in a certain area, we're quick to do it. This is the very essence of 3D Buzz's goal, and I do not know how this translates to losing focus. If you're referring to us starting to charge for our VTMs, keep in mind that we have quit our original jobs as professional 3D trainers in order to focus on producing more high-quality training so that we can start to move on to more specialized topics.

Enygma -

Truth be told, we actually covered quite a bit more MEL content in Maya Fundamentals than we did in the TD course. There would be no purpose in rehashing that content to make a new addition to the Mastering Maya series. If there was to be a Mastering Maya: Technical Directing course in the future, it would focus solely on the Maya API and 3rd party plugin development.

The "3D Buzz needs to make more advanced content" line is something that we joke about quite a bit around the office. There are several videos in the 3D Buzz library that cover how to do things that you simply cannot find training for, no matter where you look, and nowhere can you can find explanations that are so comprehensive. The problem is that we're so relaxed in the videos, and we make everything look so easy, that most folks will take it in at a glance and assume we're always talking about beginner content. It doesn't really bother us. The fact is that we cannot allow our videos to focus on highly specialized areas until we feel that the basics have been covered completely and to our level of quality. As of the release of Maya Fundamentals, we've pretty much pegged that in Maya, which is why we're moving on in the series to Advanced Modeling, Technical Rigging, with more to come.

We hear from many folks who would like us to shift our focus to Houdini content. Many of them do not realize that it's already been done. We still have the most comprehensive set of Houdini videos available on the web (all for free, of course), and we are currently in production of a Houdini Fundamentals course, which will finally remove every last shred of mystery and intimidation from this awesome application and bring Houdini to the masses.

Besides, everyone who's ever said that we "only make beginner content" is going to have quite a time eating their words here in a few months. How many of you have actually watched a training video that shows you how to write your own complex crowd simulation application, complete with its own UI, 3D viewports, and node-based behavior control, and is designed specifically to create complex animations for export to today's biggest 3D apps? I know, I know... all basic stuff. It is, after all, only the first video in our upcoming Software Engineering VTM Series. I know that most of you probably think that this is the same old beginner-level stuff that we always release, but if you aren't already highly skilled at C++ and OpenGL, or haven't yet seen our C++ VTM Volumes I, II, III, IV, V, and the 24 HOUR LONG OpenGL In-Depth VTM, I can guarantee you that you will have a very difficult time keeping up with this one, no matter how easy we make it look. ;)

Cheers,

Jason "Buzz" Busby
President/CEO
3D Buzz, Inc.

P.S.

Look for more HL2/Hammer VTMs to be released later tonight or early in the morning. These will be free to all. Cheers!

rblitz7
11-17-2005, 02:15 AM
Sorry if I sound dumb but what are HL2/Hammer VTMs?:shrug:

barbapapa
11-17-2005, 02:21 AM
jason , you must be tired of hearing this, but you are the MAN!
Im really greatefull with what you and your guys are doing...There is no other site on the internet offering the same stuff as yours.I still cannot understand how can people criticize you for start charging for some of the VTMS. i mean , you and your family still have to eat right, like veryone else.. so

man, im not going to say anithing else

just Thanks

padib
11-17-2005, 02:47 AM
I for one don't mind paying for VTM's, I learned a hell of allot about 3dsmax from the 3dsmax series. If paying for VTM's means more training for our favorite apps sooner, Im all for it!
Anyone ever price weekend classes on these programs? 200-900 bucks depending on the application. http://bavc.org/

CGmonkey
11-17-2005, 05:27 AM
busbyj - Allright, I may said that a bit hasty, afterall you helped me get into Maya a couple of years ago. But doing TV-shows, radioshows and occasional VTM's in individual subjects (like programming) is pretty unfocused :) Okey, I admit it's fun.. And you guys have all the right to have fun.

enygma
11-17-2005, 05:30 AM
Enygma -

Truth be told, we actually covered quite a bit more MEL content in Maya Fundamentals than we did in the TD course. There would be no purpose in rehashing that content to make a new addition to the Mastering Maya series. If there was to be a Mastering Maya: Technical Directing course in the future, it would focus solely on the Maya API and 3rd party plugin development.
Nice. I think I would snatch up the API one in a second. I'm actually checking out the help docs at the moment on the API and focusing on my C++ writing to get a grasp on it. I think February is a time when I will need to at least have a handle on things considering what we have on our roadmap.

Interpol
11-18-2005, 01:43 AM
I dont consider myself a hammer expert, however i think the whole 1 hour 45 mins could be explained in about 10 mins with one of the billions of "create your first room" tutorial. Valve has a wiki on this kind of stuff and you can pick up alot more in 2 hours. I mean hell, a tutorial on downloading steam and the SDK? I am a afraid that anyone who needs help with that isnít going to get to far with level editing at all.

But with videos geared towards 13 year olds, I guess I shouldnt expect a lot of face paced learning.

heavyness
11-18-2005, 01:50 AM
3dbuzz helped me get into UnrealED, can't wait for them to help with Hammer! thanks 3dbuzz, no complaints here [they're are free].

sidenote: anyone use both UnrealED and Hammer? are they similar, or should i brace myself for something different?

brian
11-18-2005, 02:49 AM
I dont consider myself a hammer expert, however i think the whole 1 hour 45 mins could be explained in about 10 mins with one of the billions of "create your first room" tutorial. Valve has a wiki on this kind of stuff and you can pick up alot more in 2 hours. I mean hell, a tutorial on downloading steam and the SDK? I am a afraid that anyone who needs help with that isnít going to get to far with level editing at all.

But with videos geared towards 13 year olds, I guess I shouldnt expect a lot of face paced learning.

Are you joking? These videos go much more in-depth then valves wiki on building your first room. Did you even watch the videos? There may be some people out there who don't know where to get the SDK. More than you could imagine, obviously.

I find your last line interesting. What the hell do you mean when you donít expect fast paced learning? These videos are for beginners. I already said this in the first post of this thread.

Again, you need to actually watch the videos if you want to ridiculethem, because, it is obvious that you havenít

also keep in mind that there will be more posted.

-Brian

mustique
11-18-2005, 03:07 AM
Among all training resources, 3Dbuzz' video training is the best I've seen so far,
yet very few people know about that. :deal:

Take the Houdini lessons...
How many people know that there are hours and hours of free Houdini video training?

I guess its kind of an attitude thing...
3DBuzz is humble, their training DVD boxes don't have ultrahighgend artworks as covers.
The site looks like a mysery for someone who sees it for the first time...

I was send a free VTM about 4 years ago and the same day I began doing my own stuff in Maya. I don't think something like that will happen to me again ever.Good things never
come for free in live, but 3Dbuzz was a total exception. Thanks Buzz.

Interpol
11-18-2005, 03:51 AM
Are you joking? These videos go much more in-depth then valves wiki on building your first room. Did you even watch the videos? There may be some people out there who don't know where to get the SDK. More than you could imagine, obviously.

I find your last line interesting. What the hell do you mean when you donít expect fast paced learning? These videos are for beginners. I already said this in the first post of this thread.

Again, you need to actually watch the videos if you want to ridiculethem, because, it is obvious that you havenít

also keep in mind that there will be more posted.

-Brian

Because your name is MrKill1221 i am going to take your answer seriously. Not all your info has to come from the valve wiki, its just a good centralized place. The HL2 world and interlopers tutorials are rock solid foundations. I am saying that honestly, yes, it would better to condense it down. I think one a good 30 min video would cover all the bases.

As for watching them, i dont watch what i already know, but i have watched other videos and they were going so slow i found myself skipping though looking for content. It seems about 1/4 the video they are teaching you something, and the other 3/4 they are making terrible references to other things that are suppose to explain things to me that are not a hard concept to grasp. This also raises a better question. Do you REALLY want a person who cant find the SDK by themselves making their own maps? They are the same type of people who just dont light things because full bright looks fine, uses about 2 textures, litters the ground with shot guns and grenades, puts up 3 walls, renames it to cs_shot_gun_warzzz and uploads to fileplanet with out even play testing to see if they even got the scale right.

StudioJ
11-18-2005, 09:49 AM
Yep, 3dbuzz rocks!

It would be great to see more videos about video compositing? I know that there are C*2 videos, but like DF videos or so? That's my suggestion.

However nice work guys!

Martin_G_3D
11-18-2005, 11:03 AM
Personally I do think most of the tutorials are often explaining the same as the manual, but just in a better way. I think a lot of people were introduced to their first 3d app with the tutorials from 3dbuzz, they get you up to speed in no time. I love audio/video tutorials over large texts anytime.

However, whilst watching the maya vtm's or the houdini vtm's it is a bit of a shame that during the tutorials often it gets said that 'we're not getting into this now cause we'll have a entire vtm based on this later'.. but those vtm's never came. Not that you can complain about this, it's free after all, but it is a bit of a shame to hear advanced vtm's getting announced a dozen times with neither of them ever be released.

And the thing that has poisoned the 3dbuzz community a bit imo is all the gamer kiddies who came in hordes after the Ut24k thing and after that most new tutorials were for games like half life, doom, far cry etc.

I consider 3dbuzz as a great resource for rapidly getting to know a new application, but I also wish it had done all those advanced vtm's that were mentioned in the beginning vtm's.

The Houdini tornado was nice, but again a shame that it stopped after that and didn't go on to POP's and such (I thought those tuts were part of a sponsoring deal with SideFX, did they pull the plug?)

Now advanced houdini content will come, but against a price, which I do not critisize in any way, but I sadly can't afford it myself so it'd been great if those houdini vtm's sponsored by sidefx had continued as long as they were initially planned.

Either way, Jason and co are great instructors and I will always keep an eye on what they produce and I'm looking forward to seeing advanced content from them in the near future

brian
11-18-2005, 12:05 PM
New VTMs were added. Total video length for the hammer series is now 3 hrs and 34 minutes.

http://www.3dbuzz.com/vbforum/sv_dl_list.php?c=37

-Brian

slaughters
11-18-2005, 02:22 PM
... and the other 3/4 they are making terrible references to other things that are suppose to explain things to me that are not a hard concept to grasp. This also raises a better question. Do you REALLY want a person who cant find the SDK by themselves making their own maps....I'm confused - Are you bashing tutorials made for beginners, or are you just bashing beginners overall?

busbyj
11-18-2005, 04:43 PM
The Houdini tornado was nice, but again a shame that it stopped after that and didn't go on to POP's and such (I thought those tuts were part of a sponsoring deal with SideFX, did they pull the plug?)

Just to make sure there's no confusion over this, SideFX only sponsored us for the first three VTMs. All of the advanced content was created without any sort of sponsorship. I spent my personal time and money to create and distribute these advanced VTMs simply because people were asking for them. To this very day, I continue to allow people free access to all of the Houdini VTMs along with many others - even without corporate sponsorship. And yes, the bandwidth does get expensive.

As for completing free videos... they do get completed, but it takes time. In some cases, it takes a LOT of time, and for that I apologize. I've got to do what I can to make ends meet while continuing to create free videos for the community whenever I can.

Interpol: Sorry you feel that way. The videos are designed to help beginners - period. And let us not forget, these videos are free.

Buzz
3D Buzz, Inc.

enygma
11-18-2005, 05:00 PM
It seems about 1/4 the video they are teaching you something, and the other 3/4 they are making terrible references to other things that are suppose to explain things to me that are not a hard concept to grasp.
Well, lets put it this way. I had the opportunity to sit in one of the classes at the Ren. Center when I was down in Dickson. Not all students are fast learners. Not everyone is going to grasp a certain concept initially.

Take for example, the Maya TD course. A Post Office was used as a reference to how arrays worked. Sure, they took a little bit to explain, but to me, I got what an array did right off the bat. To someone else, like a few of the people in the class I sat in, you need to explain these things in sometimes childish analogies in order for them to actually grasp what the hell you are talking about.

While content is there for someone like me or you to get right off the bat, we may have to sit through the content there to help the people that maybe just don't learn as fast and easily as you. It may take only 10 to 20 minutes out of a VTM that is an hour and a half for you to grasp something, but someone else, it may take the entire content of the video to really grasp. And in the end, that person will most liikely know what things were that were explained.

brian
11-18-2005, 05:05 PM
but i have watched other videos

That's the problem.

-Brian

DarkViper338
11-18-2005, 05:20 PM
Hi Interpol,

I've read your responses to a couple of the posts in here and I must say that I donít really know what gives you the right to slam on people who are just getting started on game modding. Everyone has to start somewhere, of course. Iím sure that the first map you ever created didnít have Epic, id, or Valve calling your house.

Although Iím not a huge fan of playing up to an overblown ego, even you must realize that itís bit foolish to berate a set of tutorials because they happen to be aimed at people who want to make it to your level of understanding. By your arguments, we should never teach those that do not know what theyíre doing, for the simple reason that they currently donít know what theyíre doing. Isnít that an odd sort of catch-22? I mean, how would people start learning at all?

But why are you talking about these videos in the first place? Youíve already stated that you ďdonít watch what [you] already know,Ē meaning you havenít even seen these videos. And yet despite the minor inconvenience of not having actually viewed them, youíre prepared to give us a full-blown critique over everything we did wrong in them!

As Fender put it: Wow! That was great, psychic friend! Now say, "Money should be falling from the sky"! Say it!

Actually, you should keep in mind that the Hammer videos are quite a bit more detailed than the first videos we did over UnrealEd. Our Unreal videos are used daily by actual licensees of the Unreal Engine, and were so impressive to Epic Games that they commissioned us to create an entire modding course to be included in the Special Edition of UT2004. Clearly, the professionals donít seem to have a problem with the way we do things, why should you? The professionals did in fact watch them, after allÖ

I think what gets me the most, though, is your final statement, if I may quote:

This also raises a better question. Do you REALLY want a person who cant find the SDK by themselves making their own maps? They are the same type of people who just dont light things because full bright looks fine, uses about 2 textures, litters the ground with shot guns and grenades, puts up 3 walls, renames it to cs_shot_gun_warzzz and uploads to fileplanet with out even play testing to see if they even got the scale right.

To actually answer your question, yes, I do want those that canít find the SDK by themselves to make their own maps. As someone who spent years teaching 3D at a rather large training facility, I can assure you that there are a great many people out there who think that the things they really want to get into are either completely beyond them, or they simply never considered actually chasing them in the first place. It really is amazing how the simplest thing can sometimes open up the most brilliant of minds. I know this because Iíve actually been there. Sometimes the mere act of saying, ďHere, look, the answer is easy and itís been in front of you all alongĒ can completely change how people think of a particular topic; sometimes it changes their whole lives, but letís not make this a personal history.

I politely request that you stop for a moment and remember that there are two kinds of people in this world: Those who know more than you, and those who know less. While it is perfectly acceptable for one to look up to those with more knowledge than they themselves have, it is belligerent and pointless to look down upon those who know less. None of us were born with all the knowledge we carry, and those who are still learning should never be thought of as beneath you. And with an attitude like you have right now, it probably wonít be too long before the people youíre mocking in this very thread are the ones getting the very jobs for which you repeatedly get turned down.

PS... I searched all over FilePlanet for cs_shot_gun_warzzz, so that I could send the mapper a link to our tutorials. I couldn't seem to find it; can you help me?

KOKE
11-19-2005, 07:17 AM
Hey Buzz U rock, my first 3D trainig was with your video tutorials.

Thanks for your time and effort, two thumbs up for you :thumbsup:

JK.

Ninjamonk
11-19-2005, 03:13 PM
This is cool, I hope they do a book like the mastering unreal one. I 2 have learnt a lot from 3dBuzz and am glad its around. Some more drawing ones would be cool :D

rdaly
11-21-2005, 07:06 PM
roflcopterzzzz, Zak p00nt youuuu.

I think that there should be more advanced content, to be honest with you, even though it's teaching the basics, which is a good thing, maybe you could focus a bit more on utilizing the new graphical features of Source, and not make levels that look like ass. Because the level in the VTMs are just promoting the cs_gunz4life level of carelessness, even though that's not what's intended.

DarkViper338
11-21-2005, 07:53 PM
roflcopterzzzz, Zak p00nt youuuu.

I think that there should be more advanced content, to be honest with you, even though it's teaching the basics, which is a good thing, maybe you could focus a bit more on utilizing the new graphical features of Source, and not make levels that look like ass. Because the level in the VTMs are just promoting the cs_gunz4life level of carelessness, even though that's not what's intended.

I'd like to see some more advanced stuff as well. Truth is, though, we needed to come up with a way to gague interest before undertaking anything else, or pushing the content futher. The videos we created are perfect for that. As for the level quality, there is a HUGE difference between teaching someone how to make a level and teaching someone how to make a GOOD level. We went for the former, so that we can see whether or not it's worth our time to develop content over the latter.

Thanks for the feedback!

Zak

CGTalk Moderation
11-21-2005, 07:53 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.