View Full Version : the sad fact is, we all do it sometime.. [a-wing]

cloak
02-26-2002, 10:45 PM
So I finally gave in, and modeled a ship from starwars. :(

http://texturedump.sabren.com/temp/a-wing.jpg

http://texturedump.sabren.com/temp/a-wing2.jpg

Flynn
02-26-2002, 10:51 PM
hehe I like the disclosure (very true though..I to have been tempted by the darkside to make a model from starwars)

well I think you did a really good job on texuring and modeling...I love all the detail...the only think I could think to add is maybe some burn texure near the rear jets, but that is really looking for something.

how long did this take you?

Lyr
02-26-2002, 11:26 PM
Wow looks like a nice model. Why don't you light it so we can see it a bit better and you might want to consider composing the scene so it doesn't look like a toy, of course that could be because of brazil too.

Looks like you spent alot of time and care modelling and texturing your A-wing so show some pride in it and put some time into the render as well.

Gilgamesh
02-27-2002, 01:04 AM
Well, you gave in. But it could have been worse. You could have made a crappy model of a Star Wars ship. But this one came out rather nice. Dare I say even stylized. The textures are great.

Matt_Forcum
02-27-2002, 03:11 AM
it looks great. ive too been tempted by the dark side. but luckily i have not given in................yet. but hey! if your gonna do it, then go all the way! you know? thats what i like about your piece. your not trying to hide the fact you did it. heck i think just about everyone has modeled a light cycle before right?...or is that just me...

EighthDecay
02-27-2002, 05:01 AM
ahhh that is very true,, Star trek/Star Wars is a good way too learn,, I too did many of these back in the day,, Not nearly as good,, I think I had a 386 running AutoCAD r12 and 3DS r2 all in Dos,,, This is so way better than mine,,, keep up the great work.

Stresspill
02-27-2002, 06:05 AM
Wow! Great looking A-wing there man. As mentioned earlier it is indeed a bit toyish looking. I think it looks like one of those cast metal miniatyre figures wich you paint using techniques as drybrushing etc.. This looks exactly like one of those. Main reason, I think is that all the lines are very thick, specially those things surrounding the engines. Also the "wings" look a bit on the heavy side. Textures are maybe a bit too dirty. If the dirt wouldn't be so dark and thick looking it could be better.

But in every case great work.

ToddD
02-27-2002, 08:18 AM
Hey Cloak, nice job, the top render is very very good! I would say to make it look less like a toy, drop the camera down to a lower viewing angle, that should give the ship a sense of mass IMO. =)

Matt_Forcum
02-27-2002, 08:42 AM
a lower camera angle is all you need to get rid of that "toy" look. the only reason it looks like that is because it looks so real. bringing the camera down to eye level with make it look great.

cloak
02-27-2002, 09:31 AM
Thanks everyone, I'll be posting an update tonight.

Lower angle: Check.

Smaller lining: I've tried it both ways, myself, I liked the smaller lines, but my lil bro (fu**ing starwars maniac) says it's better thicker... : /

I'll find a middle ground.

ps -

Ultimately, I'd like this to be a rendered scene - in a hanger or something.. Unfortunately, the only landing gear reference I can find for an A-Wing is on a toy, and it's got this lame black plastic stub gear. Anyone having any pointers on this would be greatly appreciated, as I can't find a place where gear would fold up into (both on captured stuff from ROTJ and imagery found on starwars.com and starwars (physical, as in plastic) modeling pages...

leigh
02-27-2002, 12:27 PM
Hey there - awesome A-wing!!!!!!!! I'm a HUGE fan of Star Wars - one of the first things I ever did in 3D was an X-wing. We all give in at some stage or another......
Anyway, VERY cool work - great model, cool textures, nice lighting!!! I do agree that you should add some burn damage on the rear jets.
Otherwise, looking forward to the update!!!!:D

captain GUNDAM
02-27-2002, 05:48 PM
i do agree the paint job by the engines needs dirtying but besides that i am in complete awe of your a-wing.

its great , as a starwars fan and wannabe member of the rebel alliance, to see someone creating models in the classic style and feel of starwars. this model would look awsome if you place it in a real enviroment and light it to fit a scene from starwars - why not try it.

great work, cheers

did you just grab my ass ?

cloak
02-27-2002, 11:12 PM
I would like to set this in a scene.. I'm in the sketchin stages right now... Anyone having inspiration for a landing gear setup or an armature that A-Wings land on, PLEASE SHARE. I don't necessarily care about the authenticity, more than I care about it looking logical and appropriate.

They call me the midnight rambler : ) Er, Renderer.

http://texturedump.sabren.com/temp/a-wingb.jpg

http://texturedump.sabren.com/temp/a-wing2b.jpg

Skyraider3D
02-28-2002, 03:45 AM
O no!!! Not starwars!!!

(read: great model! neat textures! What material are you using on the canopy glass???? It looks nice!)

cloak
02-28-2002, 04:02 AM
Hey ronnie!

Canopy material is a phong shaded brazil mat, with falloff set for shinyness and about 40% reflectivity. Light blue (sky blue) diffuse. That's it.

ps - spoon says MF will be up any time now : )

Skyraider3D
02-28-2002, 04:15 AM
Hey Cloak! :p
I didnt see it was you who posted it! Well, that means your pictures absorbed me completely! ;)

Yeah, I just checked maxforums and when clicking links I got pages like "test" and stuff! :D

cloak
02-28-2002, 05:05 AM
http://texturedump.sabren.com/temp/a-wingb-LG.jpg

still working on the landing gear...

kyphur
02-28-2002, 05:40 AM
I think the landing gear would look better if your colors matched the ship's color palette. They kinda stand out a bit too much and that makes it look like the ship's gear aren't affected by the light as the under-carraige of the ship. Besides that the ship looks pretty frickin' good.

Kyph

cloak
02-28-2002, 05:50 AM
Well, since all the gear mechanisms fold up into the ship, I figured safety related colorings would be good...bright oranges, yellows and blues... Hrm. I'm going to think about this. Thanks for the input tho.

cloa-----------------k.

kyphur
02-28-2002, 07:50 AM
Yeah I agree, just like struts on most aircraft they're bright red or an orange or yellow color. The thing is though there's no consistency with the colors from the front and the back.

The front skid is a pale pink while the back's are white. The only yellow you can see is on the back right strut's and the entire front one's all orange. I know the structure of the front strut from the back is different for diversity's sake. The back struts look weaker than the front struts also. You might wanna "thicken" them up since they're probably the ones doing the initial touch down (classic airplane landing scenario even though we know this is a VTOL craft). The front skid plate is kinda thin compared to the back ones also. That's not messing me up as much though as the original post. Maybe also if you added a slant to the skid in an upward direction and add some grooving across the bottom of them for traction.

When you show the ship in the last post at that angle the plate on the back of the gun looks a little bland. It looks a bit too 2D, maybe you spice that up by adding a line cutting through it or something also. Just something about it is throwing my eye off.

Anyways, those are my suggestions, take them as you will.

Kyph

cloak
02-28-2002, 10:40 AM
OOooooooh.. the skid itself, sorry, thought you were ref'ing the hydraulics.

The skids themselves are actually poly's (parts) from the fusalauge (sp i know). Since I couldn't find anywhere on the bottom of the a-wing for landing gear to come from, I figured, well, the doors must be invisible.. wait, no, there are no 'doors', the doors are the landing surfaces. So I cut out the shapes I wanted (matching them to conveninet areas on the texture - made from images of a movie model) and made those the skids. Since they share the same mapping as the original hull, they are correct, trust me. : )

http://texturedump.sabren.com/temp/LANDINGGEAR.jpg

the purple areas are approxamately where I cut the landing gear out.

As for the structure, I wanted them to appear convincingly mechanical, while retaining the ability to retract into their wells ( the areas I have cutout for the mechanisms) realistically. The rear ones are weaker, on the outer struts, but there are a couple of heavy duty ones in the middle. And it may be tweaked : )

I'm going to make the skid plate on the front a bit thicker.

As for it all appearing light pink, well, I added a light to the bottom area to illuminate the gear (otherwise it'd be shadowed), and I think that's washing out the maroon.

Finally, since I wanted the craft to land looooow to the ground, I made the rear lower fins tilted inwards (a kind of retracted landing mode...?).. Does this look lame, or even noticeable? I came to this when creating the mechanisms for the landing gear - they would be enourmous if it had to extend skids or wheels past the level of the rear lower fins.... Too large to fit into the craft w/out looking spindly (at least, realistically)....

Thanks everyone for the tippage : )

CLOAK
The rule is perfect: in all matters of opinion our adversaries are insane.

Matt_Forcum
02-28-2002, 11:08 AM
you mean there arent any blueprints for a wing landing gear out there? that seems a bit weird. you think some starwars nerd would come up with some official blueprints. I know there are books of that kind of stuff.....(im not calling you a starwars nerd i mean come on.....I was in line for Episode 1 tickets 4 full days before the movie came out!!! im the nerd.)

cloak
02-28-2002, 01:38 PM
as far as I know, no, there are no blueprints or diagrams or imagery anywhere of an A-Wing with landing gear (exception: there is a toy, but it's landing gear are black stick-like things, and IF YOU THINK I AM GOING TO SMACK THOS ONTO MY MODEL, BOY ARE YOU NUTS).... If anyone has any imagery that shows landing gear, or a-wings landing, or landed... FOR GOD'S SAKE POST IT.

Any input is appreciated : )

leigh
02-28-2002, 01:57 PM
Hey, Cloak. I'm sure you've checked, but I'm surprised that there isn't a clear shot of the landing gear in Empire Strikes Back. Have you really taken a close look when they return to the hangar after being rescued in the snow? Isn't there a shot of the A-wing landing? Or was it a snowspeeder? .....
I will look for you, I have a book of Star Wars craft at home. I'm sure I can find something.... :)
Will post something when I find it.
Otherwise, the landing gear you have made isn't too bad!!

Flynn
02-28-2002, 01:58 PM
Did you check the "StarWars incredible cross-section" book for the first movie? And this book as well.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/034539299X/qid=1014890340/sr=1-4/ref=sr_1_4/102-2959756-4336160

I have the one for the phantom menace its pretty amazing how much detail they give you on the venicles. However most of the illustrations they have do not show the bottom of the vehicles.
But who knows maybe they other book will or at the very least you could see some landing gear from another ship for refrenence.

anyway these books are great to add to your refrence library.
I think anyone who likes to model mechanical based objects should invest.

Not much help I know....but hey its late

Flynn
02-28-2002, 02:02 PM
here is the link to the "incredible cross-sections" book
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0789434806/qid=1014890586/sr=2-1/ref=sr_2_1/102-2959756-4336160

leigh
02-28-2002, 02:16 PM
Hey - does the A-wing have langing gear???? No picture seems to show any...
Do you not think that maybe the A-wings stay racked like the TIE fighters do? And then they just launch straight off the rack?

kyphur
02-28-2002, 07:40 PM
I've seen the cross section book before but had completely forgotten about it.:eek: I don't remember an A-Wing in it but it's been a long time. If I have time today I'll stop by Barne's and Noble and see if they have it and if so whether or not it has an A-Wing in it. I have two classes today plus I have to go pick up my wife and get something to eat before I come home so it'll be later on in the evening. :rolleyes:

No, I didn't notice that the lower wings were folded until you said anything. I'm not a major starwars geek even though I do enjoy the movies. Not that that's a bad thing or anything. :p

Anyways, gotta get ready for school.

Jason
a.k.a kyph

P.S. Leigh, I think there are some other females on the board. :D

cloak
02-28-2002, 09:16 PM
Aaaaaaaaaargh. 1st two ref's I checked: cross section book and movie. Nope, and Nope.

Thanks.

ps - I'm willing to believe that there aren't landing gear, except.. well, this thing doesn't have skidlike surfaces ala the tie. so....
THEY ARE INTERNAL AND INVISIBLE, afaik.

Skyraider3D
02-28-2002, 11:22 PM
typical landing gear:

http://www.nrc.ca/iar/flyers/photos/landing-gear.jpg

where are the bright colours????
(ignore the yellow tow-bar)

I totally disagree that aircraft hydraulics and stuff are painted in bright colours. That is pure nonsense! :) Trust me on that Cloak ;) Just make em dirty white or something relatively boring. You don't want it to stand out as much as it does now.

JoBbE
02-28-2002, 11:40 PM
wow great model! ever thought about applying at ilm? :D

cloak
03-01-2002, 01:00 AM
...ILM... mmm.. well, it's a dream for all of us.

CLOAK

Flynn
03-01-2002, 01:03 AM
wouldnt hurt to apply....your model is strong...go for it!

HelixDaKat
03-01-2002, 03:31 AM
Cloak! Dude!!!
That is just down right one of the best looking A-Wings I have seen in a long time.

You have to show off the cockpit controls man! :)

HelixDaKat

cloak
03-01-2002, 04:11 AM
Thanks man!

I'm working on the interior right now, using ref's from xwing cockpits I've found online... No one has seen the controls of an A-wing either : )

there's just some generic geometry in there right now.

kyphur
03-01-2002, 06:17 AM
I looked through the books at Barne's and Noble and didn't find a thing except in the Star Wars Encyclopedia. They had an under-carraige shot of the A-wing but it's reeeaaally tiny. It has some square looking thing under it that might be a landing skid or something along those lines.

Kyph

thewheels
03-01-2002, 07:26 AM
I've found these pics

http://pages.map.com/starwars/awing.html

cloak
03-01-2002, 08:29 AM
wheels - read the post above regarding black stick landing gear, and how they are not going to be put onto my model.

Thanks for the help tho, I appreciate all the efforts everyone has gone to to help me on this proj. THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Such a fine bunch of folks.

HelixDaKat
03-02-2002, 03:18 AM
Bump!

cloak
03-02-2002, 03:57 AM
erm.. there are a ton of great threads going on now, and since there's not going to be any real updates until I finish the cockpit and scene, let's not bump anymore.

CLOAK

Skyraider3D
03-02-2002, 04:22 AM
Ok, lets not bump :)
Does everybody agree? :p

cloak
03-02-2002, 04:10 PM
Ronnie, you know I'm not even going to dignify that with a response...DOH!

well, here's a high res render for those who want a background...which is mostly me.. but I thought I'd share....
http://texturedump.sabren.com/port/A-Wing/background.JPG

bigol A-Wing bmp 1152x864 (http://texturedump.sabren.com/port/A-Wing/a-wing.bmp)

as you can see on the large image, the textures are not holding up well after ntsc res.. oh well. I didn't make it for film ; /

CLOAK

Daxx
03-07-2002, 08:18 PM
uaaaa!! Good Realism!

Dipes
03-07-2002, 09:37 PM
Dont add burn marks to the jets. Burn marks are carbon scoring, and star wars engines obviously aren't propelled by carbon based fuel.

Skyraider3D
03-07-2002, 11:25 PM
LOL!! Good one Dipes! Spot on! :)

Staffan Norling
03-08-2002, 12:15 AM
Nice one...almost as good as my old A-wing. :p

However...there are som major differences between your model and the original studio model made by ILM. Is it based on a model kit or do'nt you giv a shit about accuracy?:)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.