PDA

View Full Version : UV Unwrapper for Maya

Crazzy Legs
11-15-2005, 02:52 AM
It think there are a lot of people who have been looking for a tool like this.http://www.geometricinformatics.com/products.php

foxco
11-15-2005, 04:10 AM
I hav to say that the info and example of it realy doesnt excite me.. i dont mean to be negative of course :) but ill point out what bothers me

the % of unused space is 99.9% under the control of the user and the example that somone unwrapping would not get as Little unused space as the unwrapper is very untrue.

where are the hands in the geo uv unwrap.. in fact i cant decifer where any specific objects are in this uv. i see this as an issue because it looks like you dont have great control over your seams

i dont use maya or have it so i cant test. but thats what i see right off the bat :)

Cheers
Fox

gunslingerblack
11-15-2005, 04:21 AM
yeah this product is very unclear to me, i use maya and im not inclined at all to dl a test version.

i'll stick to unwrapping by hand

jeremybirn
11-15-2005, 05:29 AM
Did they get those switched? I can't believe they are showing the less-even-looking one as theirs, and the more uniform checkerboard size in the hand-done one.

-jeremy

lowkey
11-15-2005, 05:55 AM
Yeah, I thought the same thing, hehe. "We want pelt-mapping!!" :bounce:

yinako
11-15-2005, 06:09 AM
Ok I have actually tried this a few days ago, I'm big sucker for new UV solutions, I'm not very impressd with it as I did'nt manage to make it work, it was not intuitive and the PDF manual didn't help, I mean there is a whole new menu with 8 or so commands.

If this is going to become commercial they seriously needs to look at the plugin solution already out, DeepUV, which in my opinion is still the king of all UV editing features, pelt mapping, area vs distortion ratio control, texture map cutting, you name it, and its pretty fast. It will solve your issues 99.9% of the time

I know they like the idea of maximising texture space, but there's zbrush AUV, which gives you 99.9% of texture space, and with projection master/zapp link the side effect of unable to paint pixel to textel ratio is almost non existant.

seven6ty
11-15-2005, 06:42 AM
3D Motion Capture

The state of the art as of yesterday...

Heh, I liked that! And this...

Only a couple of hundred tracking points may be affixed to an actor?s face, which results in very poor resolution and translates into rudimentary 3D models.

Couple of HUNDRED? I've seen in the range of about 15-35 or so, I can't imagine seeing someone with HUNDREDS of tracking points all over their face.

CGTalk Moderation
11-15-2005, 06:42 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.