PDA

View Full Version : How do you put a slider on IK stiffness?

bradenbickle
11-15-2005, 01:54 AM
I have multiple joints in an IK chain that I would love to be able to control the stiffness so that I can go from, say, an elbow joint to a curvy arm.

isobarxx
11-15-2005, 06:53 AM
Certainly. You can do that by using IKStiff() in an expression, one per elbow bone, such as IKStiff( Skeleton_Bone_3, pitch, [Slider:chan[bone_3_stiffness]] )

where Slider is your stiffness control slider. I did the IK with an expression using IK2D above the stiffness expressions. It'd probably work by setting IK in the bone's IK block in Animate mode, but it seems more reliable to do everything in expressions when you want granular control.

I think this might actually be in one of Joe Cosman's CDs... damn and he's got another one I still have to buy...

EDIT:
FYI There's also http://www.animationsnippets.com/downloads/ikparams.zip
"Three expressions to set the IK params of an object: min/max limits, use channel, use limits, strength, direction. Contains plug-in, documentation and source file."

bradenbickle
11-16-2005, 02:26 AM
Thanks dude. That sounds cool.

isobarxx
11-16-2005, 03:00 AM
I actually tried his ik strength function, but IKStiff worked better. Sorry I was gonna include a scene, but I was having some crashing issues with windows at home yesterday. Cheers!

CGTalk Moderation
11-16-2005, 03:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.