PDA

View Full Version : What's the difference between IK2D and IKTel?

bradenbickle
11-15-2005, 01:52 AM
Can anyone explain this and why you would use one over the other?

Mike RB
11-15-2005, 02:27 AM
I believe IKTel is "telescopic" for mechanical things that can collapse down. Like car antenna's.

Mike

bradenbickle
11-15-2005, 03:25 AM
Anyone have any samples of this?

Does it still work on bending things?

isobarxx
11-15-2005, 07:11 AM
What Mike said, no bending. You'd use it for something like shock absorbers, or a piston type thingamajig. Your bones (or whatever) will aim at the goal and slide along their axis like a piston.

If you had something like a spring shape that you wanted to telescope open (which could look pretty cool) there's things like AlignToCurveParam() where you can animate something's position along an arbitrary curve using a slider.

SpikeWorx
11-15-2005, 10:00 AM
One very cool thing about Messiah hierarchical nature is, that Ik2D and IKTel can be used together.
E.g. an arm works with normal IK2d and does an IKTel based solve after it has reached its natural IK2D limits.
Very cool and flexible IMO :)

But I would like to see more IK solver. An IKTel, that does squash`n`stretch, like the example Maks posted a while ago (his leg rig with then nulls and muscle bones).
Yeah, its already possible, but would be easier and faster to have an extra Solver for that.
I think well see more squash`n`stretch rigs in the future. Would be very handy.

Panikos
11-15-2005, 10:52 AM
In IK2D, the Z-scale of the chain is fixed.
In IKTel, the z-scale of the chain is dynamic, in the case you need the chain to extend until reaching the goal, suitable for mechanical applications, where the goal doesnt freely move, but is proceduraly moved in relation to the IK-root.

bradenbickle
11-16-2005, 02:28 AM
You guys have been very helpful.
Thanks

CGTalk Moderation
11-16-2005, 02:28 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.