PDA

View Full Version : Bump in stacked materials.

birdy
11-14-2005, 04:44 PM
I used several textures on a brick wall.
Some of them are grafitti. Now I want the scaled grafitti with the same bump then the original first wall material.
I se when I use the same bump map in the grafitti material the bump is scaled.
How can I fix this?

Theropoda
11-14-2005, 10:29 PM
hi,

maybe this could solve your problem:

instead of giving each material it's own bump channel, create one extra material with only the bump-channel checked. there, you place your bump map.

you can now uncheck the bump channels of your other materials (the bricks and the graffiti).

apply all your materials without a bump channel first, then apply the material where only the bump channel is checked. make sure "mix texture" is activated in this material tag. this will make sure that the bump is added to all the other materials on your object.

cheers
gŁnter

birdy
11-15-2005, 06:20 AM
Sorry it doesn't work.

Hilt
11-15-2005, 06:58 AM
Is this one material combined with Fusion/Layer textures, or is the graffiti separate material and on top of brick material?
If you have alphas of the graffiti you can use the brick material below the graffiti material. So two different materials with two different bumps on the wall. This should make scaling possible. If not, it sounds like a bug to me.

birdy
11-15-2005, 07:33 AM
Here is the file.
Have a look.

Theropoda
11-15-2005, 01:14 PM
hi,

check the corrected file: wall_new (http://home.arcor.de/dinosaurs3d/wall_new.zip)
you have just applied the matierals in the wrong order, and you didn't check "mix texture".

cheers
gŁnter

birdy
11-15-2005, 02:16 PM
Thanks a lot.

Ernest Burden
11-15-2005, 05:30 PM
you have just applied the matierals in the wrong order, and you didn't check "mix texture".

I was trying to get a grip on the stacking, too, so I looked at the new file. Two thinks:

I notice bump is checked in the 'bump' material AND the brick. If I turn off the bump channel in the brick it does not render with bump, while the paint does. I'm confused by that. Why would the brick need the bump channel active for the effect to show if the last mat tag has bump + 'mix'?

Also--try checking 'mix' on the paint tag--it looks like white paint, much more realistic.

Thanks!

Theropoda
11-15-2005, 09:26 PM
If I turn off the bump channel in the brick it does not render with bump, while the paint does.

well, i noticed that one material uses a bumpmap which doesn't exist in the tex-folder. maybe that's why the bump does not render in your case. i have just used the brick texture as bump again, it works fine.

i have no further problems here...

cheers
gŁnter

Ernest Burden
11-15-2005, 09:42 PM
well, i noticed that one material uses a bumpmap which doesn't exist in the tex-folder.

The bump map is the same map as the brick. So it exists.

CGTalk Moderation
11-15-2005, 09:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.