PDA

View Full Version : Batch Render quits without completing specified Frames???

slapnutz
11-14-2005, 12:45 PM
Anyone know why this happens?

e.g.

Basically, setup a BR(batch render) to render say frames 1-200.

You then leave it going and come back later to find out that BR has quit and has only rendered maybe up to frame 70.

This has happened to me on 2 PCs.... one Athlon 64 3500 with 1GB RAM...and the other P4 2.4GHz with 2GB RAM. Both running XP Pro with Maya 6.0.1.

This has happened to me quite a few times and is really anoying, especially if you want to setup a long render while sleeping....only to find it sat idle for half the night.

I've heard others have had very similar instances...surely something was documented about this???

Its anoying enough that I might switch to a 3rd Party renderer. Any recommendations such as Turtle...etc?

benvan
11-14-2005, 10:05 PM
are you rendering with mental ray or maya software? If you are using MR, tell us the maya software render globals (start and end frame)

slapnutz
11-15-2005, 02:29 AM
Just using Maya software. No Mental Ray.

The Render Globals is sometimes different for each file. It just has a habit of doing it, be it a totally different scene file with unique references or scene files using same references.

Sometimes Motion Blur is used... could this add to the problem? (i googled it)

djx
11-15-2005, 02:49 AM
There are many things that could cause the batch to stop, but the most probable is that it ran out of memory. Maya has always been bad at this, so its better to break you render into chunks of something like 10 frames at a time. You can do this easily by writing a small batch file. The batch file is simply a text file with a list of the commands you want done - one per line. If you name it batchRender.bat (Im assuming windows now) then you can just double click on the file to run the commands.

To find out about the command-line syntax, open a cmd-prompt and type 'render -help'

You said you were using motion blur. That could be a problem on some frames more than others if your objects or camera jump a large amount. If you render in chunks though, the batch will continue on to the next chunk, so you may have to re-render some frames, but the whole night wont be wasted.

(Close maya while you're rendering too - to free up more memory)

CGTalk Moderation
11-15-2005, 02:49 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.