PDA

View Full Version : Bull Bloke thingy

rob-beddall
11-13-2005, 10:26 PM
hey!!

here is my current model that i have in progress. ( along with 2 others)
it's for the Hero - boss contest on cgchat.
he is going to be an armor clad minotaur thingy. ( original i know :)
currently just roughing out the main shapes. there is still loads of work to do on this guy.
the main query i have is about the shoulders.
i've never tried modeling them like this before and was wandering if you guys had any tips etc on how well they are going to deform once i rig him.

cheers!!

TheRedemption
11-13-2005, 10:39 PM
wow, looking good. i know its early but there is some good definition going on. as for the shoulder thing im afraid there is no help i can give you.

rob-beddall
11-14-2005, 12:41 AM
hey!!

just a small update but i thought i better post somethign before i went to bed.
rounded the arms out more. worked a little on the legs and crotch.
changed the proportions slightly to try and make him look more menacing.
that's about it. never got chance to test rig his shoulders so that will have to wait until tomorrow now.

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1830/30bp.gif
cheers!!

rob-beddall
11-15-2005, 01:16 AM
hey!!

the answer is to just stop drinkin'. that's the way to go

cheers!!

tin-tin
11-15-2005, 05:36 AM
First of all nice model, good flow of polys on the shoulders and top half, thing about derformation I find it helps if you have just quads in joint areas, I find it easier rig a model with just quads.

Keep up the good work.

rob-beddall
11-22-2005, 11:00 PM
hey!!

ok just a small update. not really getting enough time to work on this guy so finishing him for the deadline might be a little bit tricky.
worked on the arms and added the hands. still lots more to do on him.
currently around 1600 poly's ( i think) limit is 3500.
all crits and comments welcome.

cheers!!

http://img470.imageshack.us/img470/482/42rg.gif

kOmoo
11-23-2005, 07:42 AM
Nice, don't forget his tail.

Jol
11-23-2005, 11:55 AM
Looks like a good start Rob, Like the back and shoulders a lot. Think the knees need a bit of definition, I can't really figure out where the bones would meet at the joint. Also in the side view the arms are totally straight, I usually find it helps to bend the elbos a little to curve the arms/hands forward.

Cheers

Jolyon

rob-beddall
11-23-2005, 12:04 PM
hey!!

thanks Jol. i've only roughed out the legs just for proportions purposes. i'll start on them tonight and hopefully have an update by tomorrow. (hopefully the main mody/model will be finished by then too)
yeah, i see what you are saying about the arms, it can be quickly fixed though, guess i forgot that little tip :)
a quick question to everyone....
i always thought it was better to model with the hands facing downward but then someone on another forum suggested modelling with them facing forwards. thus making it easier to model for a forearm twist set-up (as it would be in a 50% twisted state to start with). this would seem to make sense but does anyone else have any thoughts on this?

p.s actually having just experimened with my own forearms it would appear that a downward facing hand would be at 50% rotation. stil, more opinions on this would be greatly appreciated.

cheers!!

ojko
11-23-2005, 02:59 PM
Looking pretty good. :)

Have you thought about increasing the size of the head? I think it might look quite good (a bit larger), as you already have the bulky shoulders and back in place. It would give the model a nice solid feel at the top.

I like the hands too, they look like a split hoof rather than a human hand.

rob-beddall
11-23-2005, 04:52 PM
hey!!

thanks for the reply Si.
yeah, when i originally modelled him the head was quite a bit bigger bigger.
since then i have played with the proportions and i'm now at a stage where i am pretty happy with it. I really wanted him to look overly muscular and the small head helps with that.

nice work on your streetfighter character. he's lookin' cool :)

no time to work on this tonight. My mate is dragging me to a Jason Donovan gig down our local.
man, that guy must have really hit hard times heh.
i feel ashamed i'm going.

cheers!!

ojko
11-23-2005, 05:33 PM
Good luck at the gig. :)

By the way, the minotaur seems to have rather large buttocks.

rob-beddall
11-26-2005, 02:03 AM
hey!!

well, here i am with another update.
worked on his back and arms to clean them up abit.
worked on the legs to define them more.
i think they still need some work tho.
for 1 thing they look pretty small and thin at the moment.
they also look a bit messy. finding it a bit of a challenge to get the flow right, but hopefully after some sleep and fresh eyes tomorrow it will come to me.

all crits and coms welcome.

cheers!!

http://img471.imageshack.us/img471/5167/56mj.gif

p.s i've been finding that sometimes the pictures don't load. just press refresh on your browser and it should, hopefully appear.

cheers!!

dreamsunlimited
11-27-2005, 04:20 PM
hey rob very nice model u'ev got there. i really like the mesh flow. do u plan to normal map it or what? if not then i think it lacks some detail in back area. and can we see a smoothed render.well keep up the good work . i think a little bigger head and fore arms will suit it more.best of luck

rob-beddall
11-27-2005, 04:40 PM
hey!!

yeah the model will be normal mapped which is why the back area has little detail.
i've already experimented with the head size and am pretty happy with the size of it at the moment.
i'll have a quick play with the forearms tho to see if they look better bigger.

cheers!!

dreamsunlimited
11-28-2005, 01:48 AM
hey rob. i am also currently making a similar kinda model. if u have time take a luk at it.
thanks.may be u can help me in developing the low poly version .

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=297288

rob-beddall
08-24-2006, 12:06 PM
hey,
finally got round to doing some of my own work again, so i dug out this old model.
thought it was aboutu time for an update.
now using maya 7. ( before it was Max)
dunno whether or not to normal map him. got a hankering for some old style textures. :)
well, any crits or comments would be most welcome as i'll soon be entering the unwrapping stage.

cheers.

olivS
08-24-2006, 03:21 PM
glad you revived this model: the mesh is very clean and interesting to study
should be awesome with some textures
thanks for sharing

ojko
08-25-2006, 09:09 AM
That's looking really nice Rob. All the new armour and extra bits have made the model a lot more interesting to look at.

finally got round to doing some of my own work again
I know the feeling, I recently dug up my Hellboy model. Will have to post some screenies soon. :)

dunno whether or not to normal map him. got a hankering for some old style textures.
Yeah, old school would be cool or possibly go with quite a heavily stylised look. Perhaps a painted, cel shaded look would work?

benclark
08-25-2006, 10:23 AM
hey nice to see this model again

I like the armour on him. I think normal maps would be good to add some definition to the muscles and some viens and stuff, aslo to soften the edges of the armour. but the character looks good as it is so I dont think there need to be anything major done with the normal maps

looking forward to the textures

rob-beddall
08-25-2006, 12:05 PM
hey,

well, i really cant decide whether to normal map him or not.
so i have decided to do both a normal mapped version and a old skool stylie texture.
hopefully have somethign to show after the weekend.

cheers

CGTalk Moderation
08-25-2006, 12:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.