PDA

View Full Version : New Mental Ray shader: FDisplace v1.0b

PixelMachine
11-13-2005, 02:48 PM
Hello, finally, FDisplace v.1.0b is finished and ready for testing. FDisplace is a Mental Ray shader that implements the so called "Relief Mapping" technique. Get the beta version from my website. You'll find a little tutorial in there and some videos. www.thepixelmachine.com (http://www.thepixelmachine.com)
This beta version is set to expire on 01/01/2006.
Please post your renderings here or send them to me at cristi@thepixelmachine.com.
Thanks alot

joie
11-13-2005, 04:04 PM
This shader sounds cool to me.

P.S.: What do you mean by "This beta version is set to expire on 01/01/2006."?, It means I won´t be able to use the shader past that day?

Thank´s in advance.

PixelMachine
11-13-2005, 04:09 PM
P.S.: What do you mean by "This beta version is set to expire on 01/01/2006."?, It means I won´t be able to use the shader past that day?

Yes, you can test this shader only this year :). Since is a beta version, the betatesting period has to end some day, so that day is 01/01/2006.
After that, I will probably release the final version of the shader, depending on the feedback I receive.

PixelMachine
11-13-2005, 08:46 PM
Here's a render test presented on the online tutorial:
http://www.thepixelmachine.com/content/tools/fdisplace/tutimg/rend.JPG

PixelMachine
11-13-2005, 09:04 PM
All you see in this image is a plane (2 triangles) with a parallax effect obtained with FDisplace.
Here is a comparison between the classic method for bumpmapping and the fdisplace approach:
http://www.thepixelmachine.com/content/tools/fdisplace/tutimg/compare.JPG

BillSpradlin
11-15-2005, 12:38 AM
Linux compile?

doms
11-15-2005, 01:09 AM
Thanx for the shader, will give it a try, what does it do better than Waterblue (apart from the layering)?

Jozvex
11-15-2005, 02:05 AM
Waterblue is real displacement creating new geometry, this isn't displacement. It's like Bump Mapping V2.0 hehe.

doms
11-15-2005, 09:54 AM
Cool, deep paralax that works! i wondered why it rendered so fast.

PixelMachine
11-15-2005, 05:24 PM
Well it renders so fast just because it does not create additional geometry, the algorithm implements a FAST pseudo raytracer. This kind of implementations can be found on the last gen computer games, it means it renders real time. :)

DgAPc
11-18-2005, 07:28 AM
Hey pixelmachine your site isn't working no more.

PixelMachine
11-18-2005, 05:17 PM
Yes, I know, I am just moving to another (serious this time) provider. Just keep in mind to avoid anything that contains the "evonet" word :)

Lorecanth
11-18-2005, 10:59 PM
can't download it. Rather interested if you need webspace feel free to email me a jeff@3vmedia.com

PixelMachine
11-19-2005, 03:21 PM
Sorry, the site was down, now it works. You might still have problems accessing it until the DNS updates (it could takes like 2 days).
Please try http://thepixelmachine.com instead of the old address.

Jackdeth
11-20-2005, 01:18 AM
I can help with Linux compiles, if you are interested.

E-mail me at colin@hydraulx.com

Thanks

DgAPc
11-20-2005, 07:05 AM
Hey pixelmachine can you put finished scenes with this plugin on your website. I can't get it to work. Would like to see a one of your files with a simple scene to help me understand it more.

PixelMachine
11-20-2005, 12:02 PM
I've updated the FDisplace page and added a link to a zip with 2 test scenes.

Niber
12-19-2005, 07:04 PM
This doesn't work..
I've downloaded your scene with the example shading network (no shadows), pointed the nodes to a color image and a displacment texture, assigned the shading network to a poly plane, and render:
No errors, just a pitch black render.
When I assign another material (that doesn't use FDisp) the plane is seen as useal,
but with Fdisp, nothing, just black.

Please help me, and please put up a real test-scene.

edit: actually, it does work :) Can't really say what was wrong becouse I've tried so many many stuff and now it works all the sudden, so I'm not touching it anymore :P

PixelMachine
12-19-2005, 09:29 PM
Well those black renders show up when you're using Maya Software instead of Mental Ray for rendering.

Sharky0815
12-20-2005, 12:33 PM
Here's another one interested in a linux compile...

Thanks!

PixelMachine
12-20-2005, 06:00 PM
This shader will be available for linux pretty soon, as the beta period ends.

Niber
12-21-2005, 04:06 PM
http://www.niber.net/3d/error2.jpg

Can someone explain this to me?
Fdisplace works perfect for me on flat surfaces,
but on other objects it looks really weird, like this to the lower right,
can anyone explain why?
The UV is correct and and the displ map seems to be ok.

The lowpoly with Fdispl object has the exact same material as the plane.

PixelMachine
12-21-2005, 06:40 PM
Wow this is weird... Could you post that scene with the texture, or could you send them to me by mail? My mail is cristi@thepixelmachine.com

Niber
12-21-2005, 08:59 PM
ofc :)

www.niber.net/3d/parallax-error.zip (http://www.niber.net/3d/parallax-error.zip)

Just redirect the disp map node to where you extracted the files, and take whatever texture as color (if needed).

thanks for having a look.

PixelMachine
12-21-2005, 09:45 PM
I've looked into your scene... You've set a very high value for displacement... Try to use other file formats than jpg, these sometimes seem faulty with MR. After creating your dispmap, try to cover the entire intensity range (you can do this by applying auto levels in photoshop or something), and set the appropiate value for displacement. Your normals where a big mess :). Always set the normals for your geometry, fdisplace prefers texture shells with smoothed normals, so try to smooth your normals/edges accross your shells. FDisplace works in TBN Space (Tangent Binormal Normal), so your normals have to be nice :). Thats it about now... FDisplace is not a replacement for Displacement, it's just a replacement for bump, so try not set extremely high values for displacement.

PixelMachine
12-21-2005, 09:52 PM
Uh one more thing... Here's the modified scene and the modified texture:
http://www.thepixelmachine.com/content/temp/error.zip
I will take a closer look in the future, now I am really busy.

Niber
12-21-2005, 10:11 PM
Hmm I cranked up the displacment untill the displacment of the plane looked like it should, I dunno why that needed so high.

oh.. I thought normals on the lowpoly thing did not matter becouse that is what the normalmap is for, not that I'm using a normalmap on this one, but that's becouse I thought maybe this plug-in did that aswell.

thanks for the info!

PixelMachine
01-21-2006, 05:26 PM
I've posted the final win32 version on my website.
I hope someone could help me linux compile the shader.

brendan_orr
01-22-2006, 02:01 PM
I wouldn't mind helping you with a compile my e-mail addy is baorr@myrealbox.com
Additionally, JackDeth offered his services in an earlier post (probably would be best to give him the bragging rights in that respect)

PixelMachine
01-22-2006, 02:27 PM
oh, my mistake. I just wrote to Jackdeth about that.

Jackdeth
01-27-2006, 02:45 AM
Sorry. I've been slammed beyond belief. I'll try to have some time this week to get on it.

PixelMachine
01-27-2006, 06:35 PM
There's no hurry, I hope I'll have some time to clean up the code a little bit.

AtrusDni
03-23-2006, 07:16 PM
Hmmm doesnt work. I downloaded and installed correctly, imported the test scene, applied it to a plane, put a texture in the color and disp nodes, and it renders black.
And yes, mental is the renderer. Any suggestions?

CGTalk Moderation
03-23-2006, 07:16 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.