PDA

View Full Version : "Atlas" isn't so bad...

SockMonkey
11-13-2005, 11:41 AM
"Atlas" UV mapping royally sucks for painting textures in any 2D paint package, but I'm having decent results with it in Deep Paint 3D in Projection mode. Not all the time, but some of the time.
I often see Atlas terribly maligned, but hey I kind of like poor ol' Atlas when he's cooperating with me. :)

softdistortion
11-13-2005, 11:59 AM
hehe...would be nice if it worked like that in other apps...usually get a huge mess of little pieces all over the UV. :argh:

Eclyps19
11-13-2005, 02:41 PM
i'm finally starting to try to UV a character. What kind of unwrapping do you usually use?

SockMonkey
11-13-2005, 05:00 PM
The question, "What kind of mapping to use" has been plaguing mankind mankind for eternity. or at least for the last 15 years or so. ;)
It all depends, really. Something more cylindrical in shape, would be best served with a cylindrical UV map, and so on.
A plane, like, say, a floor, cna be done easily with planar mapping.
And, Atlas is actually pretty good for "boxy" things, but sucks for organic shapes, unless, as I mentioned above, you're painting in 3D on a projection, but even then it's not a sure thing.

There are two ways I go about it. Either find the best mapping for the material in question and then edit the UV map to death with modeler's tools, or make many UV maps for various surfaces, and deal with them all separately.

There's also an "unwrap" plugin you can get somehere. I don't know where, though; I got it included with Dan Ablan's Inside LightWave 7 book, but don't use it. I don't even know if it works with LW 8.

But, what it does is take a cylindrical projection and flatten it into a planar projection...pretty much in one step what you'd have to do manually. Sounds good, but unless I missed something, it doesn't work right unless your surface/part is completely centered on all axes (F2 key), which seems kind of impractical.

Leigh van der Byle's book, LightWave 3D 8 Texturing covers a lot on the subject of UV mapping.

CGTalk Moderation
11-13-2005, 05:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.