PDA

View Full Version : new version of MS Paint...

eek
11-13-2005, 02:05 AM
http://www.eecs.wsu.edu/paint.net/index.html
eek

xino
11-13-2005, 04:36 AM
This looks really promising so far. I'll wait until it's final before I give it a try though.

Nadril
11-13-2005, 04:53 AM
Oh my, interesting. MSPaint with layers, who would have seen the day? (ok, it's not technicly ms paint, but yeah).

Looks fairly promissing, especialy if it will ship with windows Vista / whatever.

laureato di arte
11-13-2005, 11:32 AM
I have managed to download the beta version and i think for a free app this is really quite cool. It is like a stripped down version of photoshop.

easy
11-13-2005, 11:39 AM
looks like a nice application with lots of promise, like to see where it goes next year.

Para
11-13-2005, 11:52 AM
EDIT: Argf.

mustique
11-13-2005, 12:05 PM
Ha ha! The next time you say "MS Paint rules!!" you might be taken serious :)

Now it becomes even more obvious why Adobe bought Macromedia.
Microsoft will introduce a new vector art suite like Expressions and now this... :arteest:

AmbiDextrose
11-13-2005, 02:29 PM
I like the feature where the tool and open dialog boxes become semi-transparent as soon as it overlaps the canvas so that you can still see what's underneath. It becomes opaque when the mouse hovers over it but goes back to being semi-transparent as soon as the cursor leaves. Slick for something that's defined as a "university project."

11-13-2005, 02:36 PM
Seing that it's made in C# and the source is available, it should be fairly easy to port it to Linux. I already like it better than i ever will like GIMP.

Trenox
11-13-2005, 02:45 PM
Wont MS get into new legal problems if they introduce a competitive graphical application bundled into windows ? They can ofcourse sell or distribute it for free all they want, but if they include it into windows other companies in this marked could have a hard time. :shrug:
If the choose NOT to bundle with windows we will still have the old useless mspaint by default and this new application wont be a 'new ms paint' IMO.

AmbiDextrose
11-13-2005, 03:26 PM
The application isn't even made by Microsoft but rather by students from the University of Washington.

Boone
11-13-2005, 03:42 PM
I do most of my Gameart in MS Paint - Just imagine the extra power at my fingertips! :buttrock:

Trenox
11-13-2005, 03:55 PM
AmbiDextrose: your right, thx for clearing that out.. in that case i think this is hardly big news :p

arvid
11-13-2005, 04:10 PM
Why must all image editing apps have PS-style tool palettes and all that, all those apps have similar icons and everyhing. When will someone start to think outside that old box :hmm:

spmonahan
11-13-2005, 04:30 PM
The application isn't even made by Microsoft but rather by students from the University of Washington.

Best be careful with that quote - this app was developed at WSU (the cross state rival of UW) and things can get downright brutal (http://huskiessuck.com/) with that rivalry :rolleyes:.

On a more serious note, this app looks pretty sweet. It's no photoshop, but anything that gives us decent alternatives is always nice.

eek
11-13-2005, 04:42 PM
people,

Microsoft are playing a hand in this:
senior design project mentored by Microsoft,

eek

arquebus
11-13-2005, 05:30 PM
I find this to be a good example of where even big corperations find it advantagous to use open source strategys when they see the need.

AmbiDextrose
11-13-2005, 05:31 PM
people,

Microsoft are playing a hand in this:

eek

So, what's your context? Microsoft folk mentor all over the place.

mrloco
11-13-2005, 05:33 PM
I like the transparent toolboxes...anyway we could get that in PS?

Andyman
11-13-2005, 05:35 PM
This was posted quite awhile ago:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=221013

eek
11-13-2005, 05:43 PM
So, what's your context? Microsoft folk mentor all over the place.

I guess so:shrug:

eek

Spater
11-13-2005, 06:56 PM
looks interesting, I've always loved MSpaint because i've done a lot of pixel art, it was simple and free, might just get a lil complicated for my liking.

on an off topic note:
eek whenever I finish reading one of your posts a little squak goes off in the back of my head

gga
11-13-2005, 07:31 PM
Looks pretty. GUI is, a tad unfortunately, very much like Photoshop. The semi-transparent float windows is a very nice idea and the GUI is a tad better organized than gimp or even photoshop. The way filters get run immediately on a scanline basis on the image is good (more akin to shake or nuke than to photoshop/gimp) and the curve tool is nice (reminds me of good old Deluxe Paint but with history).
If they supported image sequences, it could be an interesting roto tool.
Speed is about 90% of their equivalent C applications, so it is really a good showcase of the power and speed performance of C# under Windows.

The bad things about it...
Unfortunately, just as GIMP, it is 8-bits only so only good for web editing and limited video editing.
Text editing is crap, limiting it for a lot of real work.
Other than that, GIMP is overall much better (works multi-platform, can deal with multiple images of different sizes, has more filters, etc). And photoshop is still king, albeit it is clear that is going to be facing some really tough competition from the open source community in these coming years.

maX_Andrews
11-13-2005, 11:58 PM
and let's not forget, apple has entered the arena with aperture recently: http://www.apple.com/aperture/
This seems to have a new take on the interface and workflow of photo apps, i look forward to using it...sort of looks like a final cut pro for still pics.

fahr
11-14-2005, 03:22 AM
I just read the FAQ on that site and it states that while they themselves have no intention of porting it to any other OS, they will gladly support anyone else who wishes to do so.

Also, its not intended to be included in windows, nor is it designed to be some replacement for MSPaint.

If this program is as good as it looks, then.... AWESOME! I cant wait to see OSX and Linux versions of this.

ThirdEye
11-14-2005, 02:22 PM
Why must all image editing apps have PS-style tool palettes and all that, all those apps have similar icons and everyhing. When will someone start to think outside that old box :hmm:

Because obviously no one can beat the diffusion of PS and if you can't beat them you have to join them. For example Maxon tried following a different way with Bodypaint, same did Pixologic with Z-Brush, the biggest complaints now are about them not looking like PS

CGTalk Moderation
11-14-2005, 02:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.