PDA

View Full Version : Possible rig controls

backlashcs
11-12-2005, 06:17 PM
I was watching a td real from davide laSala and he uses maya, but what I wanted to know is:" has anyone ever accomplished a setup similar to his?" you can watch the real here and see what I am talking about. http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=290011&highlight=davide+sala

backlashcs
11-13-2005, 10:59 PM
Any ideas?

danb
11-16-2005, 03:51 AM
If you could be more specific i'm sure people could help out in acheiving that workflow. I'm assuming you mean the part of the real that has the maya viewport and all the character controllers?

I have accomplised most of what you see there with CDIK tools, SoftIK and xpresso. I have not figured how to do the selection objects of the eys and face part that you see in that demo reel. Although i know somehow it can be done.

So what you need to do is request a certain feature. Then we can help.

Otherwise yes this can be done with xpresso.

backlashcs
11-16-2005, 11:25 PM
Yes that is exactly what I am talking aboput, the sliders for the face and such, I know how to addd user data sliders and such to my rigs so I know that can be done, but anything to that extent would be great. I would just love to see what is all involved winin his rigs to get a better idea of how the controls are all worked out.

danb
11-17-2005, 12:18 AM
Well i'm working on trying to make the part where one can select the face poses and the mesh will change accordingly.

I need this trick for a job but after the job's done maybe i can post the rig results. It will have a little bit of everything you see in that demo reel.

Although i can hint on what can be done with expresso. For one with the fingers, you can set the spline controllers rotation to drive the finger bones rotation. For that you would build a spline controller. Then you would want to have a set driven key for the parent bone rotation to drive the child (s) bone rotation. This is an additive effect and makes the hand close. Once you have the bone key driven built you would simply set a key driven expression for the spline rotation to control the parent finger bones rotation.

One thing that is not possible in c4d is the freeze transform option of maya. You will see in the demo that when rotating the spline controller it stays put. Once you work through doing the spline controller in c4d, when selecting and rotating the spline controller the spline controller will rotate and not stay put.

The stretching effect done with the arms can be mimicked in c4d with soft ik. My rig will ahve this too.

As for the squash and stretch one could use Fabians muscle bone expression. Otherwise i have seen an xpresso expression that can do this, and will dig it up if you need it.

For a much quicker work flow CDIKtools can setup controllers like the hands and hand poses faster than doing it in xpresso.

backlashcs
11-17-2005, 02:37 AM
Oh I know of CDIK tools and was going to post next to you that I have that setup and I am useing it on my rigs right now. The only hurtle is learning to set up a well maintained rig, becuase I really want to animated, BUT I want to animate somthing I have made, so I learn rig building then dive into animation once I get the rig the way I want it. I have the rig at a state to where if I wanted I could animate with it, but it would not be to offly easy, so that's the want to expand to the controlers and setup of various expressos to make the rig controll the way I want.

CGTalk Moderation
11-17-2005, 02:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.