PDA

View Full Version : Different between These Painter IX

Darkiewonder
11-12-2005, 03:15 PM
lol. I've been lurking here for TOO long and then decide to post here. Now my question out to everyone is there any real significant different between the downloaded and boxed version of Painter IX?

I know the boxed version comes with a manual, extra brushes and stuff, but as far as upgrading the program goes, as to say from IX to a later version that might come out, how would that work?

Also, Since the product that's BOXED uses a CD to install, what if my Drive doesn't function and install, What do I do then? Can I just download the software from Corel and just use the serial that comes with the box Or should I just contact the Support team?

Thanks for any help. IT's greatly appreciated.

Jinbrown
11-12-2005, 10:10 PM
lol. I've been lurking here for TOO long and then decide to post here. Now my question out to everyone is there any real significant different between the downloaded and boxed version of Painter IX?

I can't answer all of your questions and suggest that you call Corel's toll free number for Customer Service to get the rest. Here's what I can say, though:

I know the boxed version comes with a manual,

Nope, the boxed version doesn't come with a hard copy User Guide if that's what you mean by "manual". It does come with The Handbook that includes:

Welcome (a one page welcome)

Foreword (five pages written by John Derry)

The Evolution of Painter (8 pages written by John Derry and Cher Threinen-Pendarvis)

Getting Started with Corel Painter IX (32 pages giving an overview of Painter IX)

Tutorials by Corel Painter Masters (pages 81 through 175)

The Painter IX User Guide can be downloaded in PDF format from the Corel FTP server at:

ftp://ftp.corel.com/pub/Painter/9.1/doc

Check this with Corel to be sure, but I believe you should also, in the download version of Painter IX and available from within Painter IX, have Help > Help Topics which is basically the User Guide in HTML format complete with Contents tab, Index tab, Search tab, and Favorites tab where you can bookmark pages you'll want to return to later.

extra brushes and stuff, but as far as upgrading the program goes, as to say from IX to a later version that might come out, how would that work?

Also, Since the product that's BOXED uses a CD to install, what if my Drive doesn't function and install, What do I do then? Can I just download the software from Corel and just use the serial that comes with the box Or should I just contact the Support team?

All of that you'll need to check with Corel Customer Service to be sure exactly how it works.

If you download Painter IX, obviously you won't have the box and the serial number that comes in the box. ;)

Corel changes their upgrade policy every so often but I'd think upgrading from one version to the next version, you should qualify for upgrade pricing. Again that's only my guess so make sure by asking Corel.

Frankly, I'd much rather pay for the CD. Even if I didn't get the boxed version, at least I'd have all of the important parts of the software.

Again, play it safe and get the information from Corel rather than relying on other Painter users who may or may not be up to date with Corel's policies and may or may not have ever had accurate information.

Thanks for any help. IT's greatly appreciated.

You're welcome, and good luck!

Darkiewonder
11-13-2005, 01:47 AM
Thanks for the reply!

Oh and i see what you mean by the User guide. I read that wrong.
-------

Thanks again, I'm going to get the boxed versions after I call about my inquiries! To see what's the changes and things!

CGTalk Moderation
11-13-2005, 01:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.