PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have issues with M:S and GeForce 7800 GT?

EctoHippy
11-12-2005, 06:24 AM
Hi all,

Just got M:S, all installed, updated to 2.2b but... it crashes at start up initializing OpenGL, the crash report from windows says it crashed at module nvoglnt.dll so I'm pretty sure its a driver issue or an ogl setting issue. Was just wondering if anyone has encountered this and have a solution or workaround, or if they do have this card and it's working ok for them so I can check for something else causing the problem.

Hardware config is:
Athlon X2 4200+
2 Gigs ram
Biostar TForce 6100 mb
GeForce 7800 GT 256mb using Forceware driver 81.85 (latest according to nvidia's site)
WinXP SP2 with all updates installed.

I tried rolling the driver back to the one that came with the card. I've tried taking the resolution down to 1024x768 (I run at 1920x1080 normally) I've uninstalled and reinstalled M:S (once from the installer on the cd and the 2.2b update, and once from the installer on the website plus the 2.2b update), I've uninstalled and reinstalled the video drivers, I've uninstalled and reinstalled the hasp driver (the light's on on the dongle so I assume it's working fine).

Other apps seem to be working fine. Both Modo and Wings3d haven't had a problem and neither have any games. At this point I'm kinda stuck, I'm not sure what else to check

:banghead:

Anyway, any help folks can give would be appreciated, thanks
-Matt

dOMINUSMess
11-12-2005, 09:01 AM
I'm afraid I can not help much, but I can say that last year it took me about a YEAR in trying to figure out what was wrong with my desktop.

The vendor said the hardware all was working fine, but when working with OpenGL intensive progs, it kept on crashing regularly, so I blamed the software.

My specs:
Windows XP servive pack 2
2GB Ram
Pentium IV 2.8 GHz
Nvidia Geforce 6800 GT Ultra 256 MB

It turned out to be the "I-O-Device" on my motherboard that overheated: it could not handle that kind of input-outpt.
It was fixed with a new motherboard and I have'nt had these kind of problems since.

Saying your other 3D progs work fine, is'nt necessarily true: I mean: when I had the problem on my desktop, sometimes for weeks I did'nt encounter a problem, and then sudenly Lightwave kept on crashing time after time because of OpenGL issues.
As I said: I blamed the software but it turned out to be the hardware's IO device.

But you say it crashes already upon opening messiah, so I'm not sure at all.

Sorry I ca'nt be of more help..

vjholofx
11-12-2005, 10:16 AM
i had the ecxact same problem when i installed last week. it crashes or freezes. i solved it by changing the open gl settings in the display control panels. u have to go to advanced. i am sitting in a cafe on my mac so i cannot give u the specific set up. if u look in the documentation there is a trouble shooting page that addresses the problem. i suspect u have to fiddle a bit based on ur set up, but trust me that is ur problem.

i will say that i occasional get a crash when trying some rendering stuff and i still don t know why but at least it is not as frequent.

hope that helps

cheers

EctoHippy
11-13-2005, 05:09 PM
Just an update... still no Messiah love. I've turned on/off every option I can turn on and off in the advanced graphics card's properties. I've tried the beta 81.87 drivers from nvidia. I checked the messiah log file after every attempt, it's crashing in the exact same spot every time, right after it sets the max number lights in the ogl properties. I also noticed something else in the log file, after it scans for layered pixel formats it comes up with "Compatible layered pixel format not found." Now if thats enough to make it crash or not, I don't know... If it were randomly crashing all over the place I'd say it's hardware, but this is really consistent so my bet is Messiah doesn't like the vid driver... :banghead:

Oh and this just in, due to a suggestion from wegg over in IRC, I uninstalled the nvidia driver and let it just use the default windows driver and... Messiah loads up fine. Windows is slower than Billy's boogers on a cold Utah morning and doesn't correctly support the monitor, so the interface flickers a bit, but it loads... so... it's definitely the driver. :cry: :banghead:

-Matt

jipe
11-13-2005, 05:37 PM
Yeah, I just found this thread over in the Maya forum... apparently the new driver, to put it nicely, sucks ass:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=293372

EctoHippy
11-13-2005, 10:07 PM
Another update. It appears nvidia has a driver older than the one I rolled back to that supports the 7800. The 78.01 drivers do work! I'm in messiah land now :bounce:

dOMINUSMess
11-14-2005, 06:30 AM
EctoHippy wrote: Another update. It appears nvidia has a driver older than the one I rolled back to that supports the 7800. The 78.01 drivers do work! I'm in messiah land now
Welcome and happy "mesiah-ing" ! Glad to hear that it worked out.

Wegg
11-14-2005, 03:19 PM
I just had to roll back to the 78.01 drivers myself. Messiah kept crashing on me when I tried to start it. Which is odd because I was using the 8X.XX drivers for weeks before it started doing that. I'm not noticing any performance change so. . . I guess all is well.

Windows did make me re-activate itself though. . . 1/2 hour out of my day to change drivers. Thanks Microsoft. :banghead:

That Linux port sounds pretty good right about now. Nice clean Ubuntu install. . .

maks
11-14-2005, 04:49 PM
I just had to roll back to the 78.01 drivers myself. Messiah kept crashing on me when I tried to start it. Which is odd because I was using the 8X.XX drivers for weeks before it started doing that. I'm not noticing any performance change so. . . I guess all is well.

Windows did make me re-activate itself though. . . 1/2 hour out of my day to change drivers. Thanks Microsoft. :banghead:

That Linux port sounds pretty good right about now. Nice clean Ubuntu install. . .

Hmmm, I upgraded my 6800 GT to the 81.85 drivers last week, and I don't have any problems with messiah since, other than the one that was already there before (the overlay on the tool info popups in the F5 palette and on shader nodes)...

And yeah, window's automatic driver rollback can be annoying - to avoid that you should deinstall your old drivers (possibly use a driver remove tool such as NFR) and then restart in safe mode to install the new drivers.

Nando
11-14-2005, 05:51 PM
yep,

the OpenGL hang only affects systems running Dual Core CPU's. We had this issue with a couple of systems we built for customers on the release of the 81.85's. I contacted nvidia immediately, and they told me to post on their forum for help from the community.. What a laugh, LOL.. like some kid was going to help me with driver issues that had just been released. ;) So I posted and read other threads here

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=8458
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=9035
you have to options at the moment
1. revert to older driver
2. install beta 81.89 driver - which has gotten acclaim for speed from benchmarks.
You can find the driver at http://www.guru3d.com
or the tweaked version XTreme-G 81.89.v2, which i highly recommend as its the one running on our Dual core opterons without any problems.
http://www.tweaksrus.com/index.php?option=com_docman&task=cat_view&gid=127&Itemid=41/

Wegg
11-14-2005, 06:35 PM
Ahh. Good to know. I think Ecto and I both have the same Dual Core X2 Athlon so I'll bet that is the problem. Bummer. :-/

EctoHippy
11-14-2005, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the info Nando, very good to know. I think I'll stick with the old drivers until the dust settles on released drivers. I've had enough driver wrangling for awhile.

-Matt

CGTalk Moderation
11-14-2005, 07:14 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.