PDA

View Full Version : Pixar Shares Soar After Earnings Rise

Shaderhacker
11-11-2005, 10:36 PM
"LOS ANGELES (AP) - Shares of Pixar Animation Studios Inc. soared on Wednesday, a day after the studio behind films such as "Finding Nemo" and "The Incredibles" reported robust income in the latest quarter.

The company's shares rose $5.71, or 11.2 percent, to close at $56.59 on the Nasdaq Stock Market, near their 52-week high of $57.66.

On Wednesday, Pixar CEO Steve Jobs told analysts the studio and The Walt Disney Co. are having "very productive" discussions about a new distribution deal that will give Pixar far more ownership of its films."

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/ticker/article.asp?Feed=AP&Date=20051109&ID=5264393&Symbol=US:PIXR

-M

darktding
11-11-2005, 10:57 PM
so there u have it.... only a matter of time folks, only a matter of time.

BillB
11-11-2005, 11:14 PM
So will the morons who sued over their forecasts for Incredibles DVD sales drop their suit now? Or has it already been thrown out?

mangolass
11-11-2005, 11:53 PM
So will the morons who sued over their forecasts for Incredibles DVD sales drop their suit now? Or has it already been thrown out?

New lawfirms are still joining the suit, each trying to attract shareholders to represent so they get a slice of the pie. This kind of suit will continue through ups and downs in the market, even if in the end they don't get anything. Mark this link if you want to follow the news: http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=pixr ~ there is a press release from a new lawfirm every few days, with contents mostly copied from other lawfirms.

LT

Terrell
11-12-2005, 01:25 AM
Sooner or later, Pixar is going to ripe for a takeover. I can just see it, and it might not be Disney.

Pixar CEO Steve Jobs told analysts the studio and The Walt Disney Co. are having "very productive" discussions about a new distribution deal that will give Pixar far more ownership of its films."

If I was the Disney CEO, I'd have no problem going with a new distribution deal, with a couple of stipulations. One, Pixar has to pay it's own way. It has to pay all of it's film production and marketing costs, with no help from Disney. If a film bombs, they take the hit. Two, the films made under the old agreements stay under the old agreements that Pixar willingly signed. They are off limits. This isn't the NFL where you renegotiate contracts that you agreed to.

After that is agreed to by Pixar, I'd glady put Cars under the new agreement, and give Pixar ownership of that film and their future films. I'd be glad to let Pixar have a say in how Pixar characters are used in Disney theme Parks. I'd be more than willing to listen to any other demands from Pixar.

But through it all, I've got stockholders to answer to, and I'm not going to cut Disney's throat just to satisfy you, nor am I going to put us in a bad situation, and that includes forcing our one animated films into a bad time slot simply because Pixar wants first choice on theatrical release dates. They can have any release date they want, but we have to have that same choice.

That would be my stance. Then again, I'm not the CEO.

beaker
11-12-2005, 02:52 AM
Two, the films made under the old agreements stay under the old agreements that Pixar willingly signed. They are off limits. This isn't the NFL where you renegotiate contracts that you agreed to.You obviously have never worked in Hollywood. EVERYTHING is negotiable, and everything is always in constant renegotiation. This drives us crazy in vfx because one second you have a 50, the next 5, the next second, 100.

Pixar should take every advange they can to preserve their products so if in the future they decide to part ways with Disney(again), they can keep their quality at it's highest and not dilute it with a thousand sequels. Also the copywrites to their original characters are worth so much more in future profits then the movies themselves.

Terrell
11-12-2005, 03:18 AM
You obviously have never worked in Hollywood. EVERYTHING is negotiable, and everything is always in constant renegotiation.

I never said it wasn't. I said my stance would be no renegotiation on the previous movies, if I was the CEO of Disney.

Pixar should take every advange they can to preserve their products so if in the future they decide to part ways with Disney(again)

And Disney has every bit as much right to do the same thing. Because Disney helped Pixar to fund and market their films. That's why they have an ownership in the films. When Pixar pays for their own production and marketing costs, then they can have complete ownership, just as Lucas does with Star Wars. Now, I would certainly be open to the idea of not making sequels to Pixar's past films without their consent.

JDex
11-12-2005, 03:27 AM
I'd just be happy with no sequals. :) *smug*

krispee
11-12-2005, 10:45 AM
I'd just be happy with no sequals. :) *smug*

except an Incredibles sequel, please let there be a sequel to that genius of a film......:applause:

krispee

JDex
11-12-2005, 10:56 AM
except an Incredibles sequel, please let there be a sequel to that genius of a film......:applause:

krispee

I'd be far happier if they invested their energies into another original genius of a film... loved The Incredibles... and would prefer it stand on it's own.

mummey
11-12-2005, 02:25 PM
I'd be far happier if they invested their energies into another original genius of a film... loved The Incredibles... and would prefer it stand on it's own.

Agreed, making a great sequel is actually HARDER than making a great film. I wonder rather they spent the resources on new ideas.

MikeRhone
11-12-2005, 02:39 PM

Abso-frickin-lutely. I competely agree. Lets see new, original movies every coulpe of years... Please!

Dennik
11-12-2005, 03:45 PM

Well they've done a sequel for Toy Story which was supposed to be straight to video, and they did it even better than the first one. That of course doesn't mean they will make better sequels than everybody else, just that they care for the sequel story to be just as entertaining as the first one, if not better.

krispee
11-12-2005, 06:48 PM
well, i understand what you`re saying, i agree that something new and fresh would be preferable, not sure what to make of their next two Cars and the rats one, Ratatoullie is it?
.....but if they do want to make a sequel then it should be that film....but....only if they get the right story, they seem to be concerned about getting that right in their films above all else, if they keep that attitude then they won`t go far wrong.....

if...they do a sequel of the incredibles then i would like to see it when Dashiell and Violet are grown up and Jack Jack`s powers are beginning to show to their fullest....Bob and Helen are in the background only.....the story would revolve around the kids and Violets boyfriend, an electronics whizzkid......
anyway, after my mornings daydreaming lol.....

krispee

Bentagon
11-12-2005, 07:52 PM
if...they do a sequel of the incredibles then i would like to see it when Dashiell and Violet are grown up and Jack Jack`s powers are beginning to show to their fullest....Bob and Helen are in the background only.....the story would revolve around the kids and Violets boyfriend, an electronics whizzkid......
anyway, after my mornings daydreaming lol..... And I thought the relationship between Bob and Hellen was one of the most rewarding parts of the film... The kids grown up, sure, but the folks in the background? Rather not. But obviously that's just a personal preference...

- Benjamin

krispee
11-13-2005, 07:58 AM
ok, maybe i was a little rash to consign Ma and Pa to the retirement home lol.....i would like to see the film years on though, when Violet and Dash are much older......would love to see what they might make of JJ`s powers.....
anyway, all academic as they probably will never make one....

krispee

CGTalk Moderation
11-13-2005, 07:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.