PDA

View Full Version : DreamWorks shares down 6 percent

Shaderhacker
11-11-2005, 10:35 PM
" NEW YORK (Reuters) - Shares of movie studio DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc. fell more than 6 percent on Friday, a day after the company's quarterly results showed a weaker-than-expected domestic box office performance for its film "Wallace & Gromit: The Curse of the Were-Rabbit.""

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/ticker/article.asp?Feed=OBR&Date=20051111&ID=5274757&Symbol=US:DWA

-M

mangolass
11-12-2005, 01:36 AM
It seems as if Americans were reluctant to give a claymation film a chance ~ W&G did well in other countries, just in the US it didn't do as well as most CG films.

I bet Americans will get another chance to see it in theaters, though. W&G seems likely to get a "Best Animated Feature" nomination, and when that happens there can be a re~release.

LT

beaker
11-12-2005, 03:35 AM
I know a lot of people just aren't big on british humor (the reason why most british tv shows in the states before the cable BBC channel became available, were only on PBS). So it is a turn off for many Americans.

Sucks because it's such a good film.

JDex
11-12-2005, 03:37 AM
I didn't even know it was out yet. Never seen a single ad or commercial.

Shaderhacker
11-12-2005, 03:42 AM
Sucks because it's such a good film.

Yeap. From what I hear, it's a great film. This just proves that even though the critics absolutely love the movie, it doesn't mean it will do good in the box office.

-M

krispee
11-12-2005, 10:40 AM
i`ve seen the film, i know i`m british and the humour is different and i can appreciate it more, but it`s really clever and brilliantly done, typical of Aardman i`d say.....it does seem that people aren`t taking so much notice of the critics as this got a big thumbs up from them, same thing happened to Serenity which got great reviews but got hardly a ripple in the box-office pond......

krispee

A. Wright
11-12-2005, 07:00 PM
People have a weird reaction to any sort of stop motion film. I think it's because they think it's for kids or something. Sometimes they say something like "i dont like those kinds of movies" and it's like, whats that supposed to mean? Prejudice against clay?

Shaderhacker
11-12-2005, 08:47 PM
People have a weird reaction to any sort of stop motion film. I think it's because they think it's for kids or something. Sometimes they say something like "i dont like those kinds of movies" and it's like, whats that supposed to mean? Prejudice against clay?

IMO, I think that stop-motion is about as dead as 2D for now. People just want to see 3d animated films. Perhaps after next year's overflux of 3d films and seeing several of them not do really well, maybe the industry will bend towards something other than 3d to attract the audiences.

-M

JDex
11-12-2005, 09:04 PM
Speaking of claymation... I watched The Life Aquatic last night... loved it, rough animation and cheese.

Terrific stylistic choice.

CGTalk Moderation
11-12-2005, 09:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.