PDA

View Full Version : Problem with IFF

Antonio79
11-11-2005, 08:54 PM
Hello! I am trying to render a sequence in IFF format, because I want to keep the alpha channel but I'd like to have a compressed rendering. The problem is that neither Photoshop nor after effects recognize my IFF files, what is the problem? is there another compressed format which keeps the alpha channel? thanks! Antonio

housewarmer
11-11-2005, 09:00 PM
Alias has a plugin for photoshop that allows it to parse iff files. I dunnno about after effects since I use shake. As for compressed files, maya saves out tiffs w/lzw compression.

illusionOfLife
11-11-2005, 09:16 PM
The plugin is for After Effects too. If it's not, they make ong for After Effects. It is free and you can download it from various websites, I got mine specifically from highend3d, but it's been a while since I downloaded it (may not be there).

Any particular reason to use IFF's?

Doesn't TIFF support LZW compression out of Maya's renderer? I think SGI format may have a compression format as well, but I could be wrong.

HTH

tharrell
11-11-2005, 09:17 PM
Tiffs or .TGAs are the way to go with an After Effects pipeline.

On the Mac (in particular) getting Quicktime/Adobe to read stuff as Maya IFF instead of Amiga IFF is almost too painful for words.

I use lzw'd TIFFs unless I need Z-depth. If I need Z-depth, I use fcheck as an intermediary with IFF files and save the z-pass as a separate z-only sequence of TIFFs, then save RGB+A tiffs as well.

Fcheck is a swiss army knife, and it's reasonably quick... which is nice because I inadvertently save things I need to composite as IFFs quite often.

--T

Antonio79
11-11-2005, 10:38 PM
No there is no particular reason, I just wanted a compressed sequence, I will try to use the tiff one then! thank you guys!

djx
11-13-2005, 10:35 AM
Photoshop CS 2 comes with a IFF plugin on the CD, but it isnt installed by default. You have to copy it manually. Aftereffects 6 installs with IFF capability out of the box.

However, Mentalray for maya7 renders an IFF file that neither of these programs can read, but the IFFs from the software renderer are OK.

You may also find that non-IFF formats (like TIF and TGA) cause problems when using the maya7 software renderer.

CGTalk Moderation
11-13-2005, 10:35 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.