PDA

View Full Version : Random Texture Tiling HELP

neuromancer1978
11-11-2005, 05:54 PM
I am trying to texture a model for an indie film I am involved with. The basis of this building has walls made of some stone material that have a varying of shades of diffuse. I am trying recreate this effect with little success. I have taken the color image file directly from the reference pictures we have taken of the building, and using Photoshop work have made 2 different diffuse maps off that image. The problem is that I want to have a more random placement of the diffuse maps and I cannot figure out how to do this. I tried to use a tutorial off the web as a basis "Random shuffling of image maps", but by using expressions it also animates the tiling and we do not want that, and when I try to get rid of the connectors related the Time node it destroys the shader. HELP! The 3D team has been working on this model for a month now and we are so close to getting it done, but this problem is totally holding us back.

ANybody have ideas.

BTW - using Maya 6.0.1

Thanks
http://www.mykismit.com/ted/x_and_y/images/tiling_0001.jpg

floze
11-11-2005, 06:09 PM
Would you mind posting the expression youre getting good results with? Maybe we can modify it so it still works without animation.

neuromancer1978
11-12-2005, 04:22 AM
The basis of this texturing can be found at this website.... I worked directly off this tutorial so if you can follow it maybe you can have an idea of what I was trying to get. I tried once again from scratch just now, but Maya crashed and I have no idea why.

http://www.digitalartform.com/archives/2004/12/randomly_shuffl.html

-EDIT-

I just downloaded the supplied file, and when pressing play, the tiles didn't animate. I think I may have deleted a connection at one point while editing that caused this strange reaction. I will play with it again. But one the the MAIN problems with this particular shader is when I Duplicate WITH Shader Network, the duplicated shader is somehow connected to the expression. Of course this is AFTER the whole shader was completed and NOT in the early stages. Strange and confusing, this shader occupied me and the other 3D artist about an hours worth of headaches.

floze
11-12-2005, 04:28 PM
Hmm, it does not seem to be animated at all. The only two lines of expression are as follows:
noise1.uCoord=trunc(place2dTexture1.outU*10)/10;
noise1.vCoord=trunc(place2dTexture1.outV*10)/10;
If you're concerned about the 'Discrete Noise', try using pixero's JS_Mosaic shader instead:
http://www.pixero.com/downloads_mr.html

This should get the job done as well, with guaranteed no unwanted animation.

ruukki
11-21-2005, 07:36 PM
eh, this might be off the topic and then again, maybe not. Is it possible to let a Maya shader do the randomising: like, take a leather for color, and assign one file to the vein color and another to the bump color of the leather - for instance.

CGTalk Moderation
11-21-2005, 07:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.