PDA

View Full Version : how to mix layers?

yolao
11-11-2005, 05:24 PM
Hi there.

I`m new in PS... i was following a tut, by Kris Costa of eye texture and in some point he mention the use of overlay or pin light for mixing layers...the thing is that when i pick the brush and i select "overlay" for example i just can paint the normal way...i mean there is no mixing of any kind...here is the example of Kris Costa before mixing
http://67.15.36.49/team/tutorials/antro_eye2/hr/006.jpg

and here is after mixing using overlay, pin light, or any other mixing option, by K. Costa.
http://67.15.36.49/team/tutorials/antro_eye2/hr/007.jpg

what i did was just pick the brush and select overlay and start painting with the dark blue base color of the eye..and also i turn down the opacity of the brush to make it a little bit transparent...the thing is that i do not obtain any mixing....none....

what can i do?

thanks in advance
Cheers

tb582
11-11-2005, 05:33 PM
I'm assuming that the tutorial is using mutiple layers, if not then you should be painting your overlay color on a new layer, and instead of setting the brush settings to overlay, set the layer in the layers palette to overlay...

yolao
11-11-2005, 06:09 PM
I'm assuming that the tutorial is using mutiple layers, if not then you should be painting your overlay color on a new layer, and instead of setting the brush settings to overlay, set the layer in the layers palette to overlay...

thanks Tony, i imagine that i should post the link of the tutorial before...here it is:

http://67.15.36.49/team/tutorials/antro_eye2/antro_eyetex_01.asp

he paint every stage in a different layer, the iris in one laye, the pupil in other, etc.
he do use multiple layers, so what should i do in that instance, please

thanks

tb582
11-11-2005, 06:35 PM
Between steps 6 and 7, after you complete step 6, change that layer to overlay in the layers palette. Its not the most in-depth tutorial, after you click on overlay if that doesn't get you the desired results duplicate the layer and set that layer to something else ie pin light etc.... then merge the two layers together by using Ctrl E.... and repeat if you think you need to.

yolao
11-11-2005, 07:14 PM
thanks Tony...i can see that you know very well PS...can you help with another step of the tutorial please....is the step 17...he creates a circular selection and then he makes a effect with it....how can i make that?..

-and please can you also tell me how can i reselect a layer that i made before?...i mean i know that in the select menu there is an option of reselect...but after i finish that layer and move to make another that option is not longer available....for instance let say that one of the first things that i make is the pupil...and later i want to come back and adjust the size of it....

thanks again

tb582
11-11-2005, 08:11 PM
thanks Tony...i can see that you know very well PS...

thanks again

Sucking up always works well :thumbsup: haha

step 17...he creates a circular selection and then he makes a effect with it....how can i make that?..

The top left hand tool in the tools palette should be your rectangle selection tool, click and hold on that tool to reveal the other selection tools underneath it, select the elliptical marquee tool. On the canvas hold down shift and click drag the selection, then go up to edit and down to stroke, change the color to whatever you want probably black, and the stroke to 13px or so...

and please can you also tell me how can i reselect a layer that i made before?

Simply Ctrl click on the little thumbnail in the layers palette, Or click on that layer and press ctrl T and you can move and resize it...

yolao
11-11-2005, 08:38 PM
thanks a lot for your help, i learn important things.

best regards

CGTalk Moderation
11-11-2005, 08:38 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.