PDA

View Full Version : re:Front page archive

ZaKKoS
11-11-2005, 05:15 PM
I know that the guy who opened the thread before is a troll and i'm absolutely not with him nor i'm supporting him or his methods.

I just thought that making a front page archive can be a useful thing, althought something gains the plug for a reason!
It can be simply a thread with links.

Again i'm not saying this to sympathize with c-g ideas or methods. Announcements or ads are not the reasons why I'm opening this thread; i fully understand why they are here and frankly i like to be informed on new books, challenges, software or whatever.

Sorry if i have opened a new thread on a closed subject but i thought this could be something useful for everyone. Thank you.

JDex
11-11-2005, 10:04 PM
Dunno anything about the other poster... and disagree with him about "one really good stuff got bumped for TWO of the FXWars crap and an ad for another cgsociety book" because he clearly intends to knock anything that doesn't please him, regardless of if others appreciate those things... but the topic has come up before, and many would very much like to see an archive setup.

Last I can remember from other times it came up, it's on the todo list, but not a top priority... perhaps soon it will surface.

chrisWhite
11-11-2005, 11:38 PM
I agree, I think this would be a really cool feature if it's not hard to implement, I know all the admin are working there buts off as is so it's not a big thing, but I really like how they've implemented one over at ZBrushCentral (http://www.pixolator.com/zbc/index.php) here: Featured Threads and Image Gallery (http://206.145.80.239/zbc/featured2col.php).

Again though, it's a cool feature, but certainly not needed here, this place rocks already. :love:

mrtristan
11-14-2005, 01:37 AM
This seems like a good way to chronologically view the "best stuff", which is really what I want. Ergo, you could say "what's the really cool stuff that's happened since June", because that's when you remember Linda Bergkvist came out with that picture you really liked, and voila, you find it in a thread, and then browse upward...

A similar approach would be two sorting/thresholding tiers in thread views. For example, you could sort everything by date and then put a "minimum rating of 4 stars". I'd like this approach, because you leave rating up to the viewer... but the staff does an awesome job of picking things out anyway. And if you link in articles off of the CGSociety front page, that may be a nicer interface and just the right amount of information... since it's edited and all that.

Just putting in a couple of random thoughts... this site has awesome content anyway... :)

jussing
11-15-2005, 08:01 AM
Aye, 'tis would be a lovely feature. :D

- Jonas

CGTalk Moderation
11-15-2005, 08:01 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.