PDA

View Full Version : how to change the cursor in Painter IX?

Nick_Jackelson
11-11-2005, 04:02 PM
Hi,

I'm quite new to Painter IX. Before I mainly worked in Photoshop. I really appreciate Painter's brush engine, but coming from Photoshop there is one thing I found quite disturbing. I was looking for an answer in this forum, but haven't found one yet, so maybe there is someone who might be willing to help me.

In Photoshop, when using a brush or any other tool you draw or paint with, you can adjust the cursor in the way that you see only the size of the brush (normally a circle) you are currently using. The cursor stays in this form wether you are drawing or ghosting your lines. In Painter IX you apparently may enable ghosting and the cursor shows your current brush size, but when touching the tablet surface, the cursor changes into a symbol you have chosen when customizing brushes (i.e. a brush, a triangle, a cross and so on).

1.)The first problem I have with this permanent changing while drawing or painting digitally is that it somehow confuses and disturbs me, because I can not see clearly the point on which I draw. In Photoshop this is much better, because I can see "through" my cursor, because the brush size circle is transparent (the transparent triangle in Painter IX is no solution).So my first question is, if there is a way to put the cursor as in Photoshop, (just the brush size) and that it stays like this?

2.)Since I didn't find a way to change this handicap, I canceled the "enable ghosting" function and choosed the "1 Pixel" as a cursor. One disadvantage is obviously that you are not aware of your current brush size, but the second problem is, that the line I'm producing does not come exactly from the point where I put the pixel cursor, but about one pixel beside the cursor on the right, which of course makes it quite difficult to colour my penciled artwork, because I miss the lines which I may intend to redraw in colours. So my second question is: what is this silly function ,and if I can't change the cursor as mentioned in point 1.), how do I change the one-pixel-cursor in order to be able to draw exactly from the location the pxel cursor is shown ?

And if there is no real answer to that, maybe you have a solution for working in at least a similar way as I do in Photoshop.

Thanks.

Regards,
Nick Jackelson

Philippec
11-11-2005, 05:48 PM
So my first question is, if there is a way to put the cursor as in Photoshop, (just the brush size) and that it stays like this?

No. Sorry!

how do I change the one-pixel-cursor in order to be able to draw exactly from the location the pxel cursor is shown ?

In my Painter 9.1, the 2B pencil draws exactly where I click the mouse, so I don't see that problem

Philippe

Nick_Jackelson
11-14-2005, 08:34 AM
Hi Phillipe,
this does not quite help me, but thank you anyhow.

If there is someone who could give me some hints about the cursor acuracy, I'd really appreciate.

Nick.

Jinbrown
11-14-2005, 10:14 AM
Hi,

Philippe knows what he's talking about and, as you've already been told, there's no way to have Brush Ghosting displayed once you begin painting.

In Painter IX you have several options to choose from for cursors that will be displayed while you paint.

Generally speaking, I find that my brushstroke's width is centered over the path my cursor follows.

I do also see that the brushstroke is very slightly to the right but it's easy enough to compensate for that one-pixel difference if it matters. Most times it doesn't matter.

When it matters to you, just paint with the cursor one pixel to the left and your brushstroke should be painted centered over whatever it is you're tracing.

I can't see how this is any less accurate than having a ghost circle while you paint since real accuracy, after all, depends on your eye-hand coordination and how accurately you can follow a line or curve, or paint a line or curve without something to follow.

In other words, if you don't fight the difference between Photoshop and Painter, you'll have a lot easier time and you'll get used to Painter with practice.

I never think of the cursor, just paint and if I miss the mark, use Undo and try again. Even with a ghost circle, surely Photoshop users miss the mark too, Undo, and try again.

Take a deep breath now, and relax. This isn't the end of the world and you will get used to it, probably faster than you expect. ;)

Good luck!

Nick_Jackelson
11-14-2005, 02:57 PM
Hi,

Thanks for the answers. I do not quite agree concerning Photoshop, because I really Think it's easyer, when the cursor is exactly where you intend to draw and when I paint over my scanned drawings in Photoshop I never miss a line. It's routine. (Also the fact that it draws one pixel to the right doesn't make sense to me at all.) But I surely do not intend to fight the difference between both programms, I just want to continue painting as comfortable as possible. Maybe with a little routine I'll be able to paint in Painter as in Photoshop. At least I don't have a real choice, because in Painter's brush engine there is much more diversity and it really comes closer to "Painting" in comparison to Photoshop. So I guess I have to live with the little differences (hope I won't discover many more...). Thanks for you reply.:thumbsup:

Regards,

Nick

CharleyParker
11-27-2005, 04:33 AM
I'm new to this forum, but I've been using Painter for about 10 years. I've always found the brush ghosting in Painter to be too annoying to be usable. The best compromise I've found is to use the solid cursor with the point down and to the left with no ghosting. This feels to me reasonably like the point of contact and application of color are in sync.

zerae
11-28-2005, 03:32 PM
I agree brush ghosting is really bad on Painter it actually slowdowns, I use the black triangle at an angle. The problem in Painter IX is the genius that are Corel removed the gray pixel in the edge that indicated where the cursor was it was also the tip of the brush, try filling the canvas with black and now try to draw with white that's right where's the cursor? In Painter 6 it doesn't have this issue.

I also disliked the cursors on Painter and wished I could change them but now it's the opposite I love the little triangle (with no ghosting) it's great. Give it time :thumbsup:

Jinbrown
11-28-2005, 08:44 PM
The problem in Painter IX is the genius that are Corel removed the gray pixel in the edge that indicated where the cursor was it was also the tip of the brush, try filling the canvas with black and now try to draw with white that's right where's the cursor? In Painter 6 it doesn't have this issue.

It's not an issue in Painter IX either.

Use the Hollow Triangle:

When you paint over a light background, there's a black edge around the triangle.

When you paint over a dark background, there's a white edge around the triangle.

zerae
11-28-2005, 11:24 PM
Yes I tried all variants but I only like the black triangle, the gray indicator on the cursor is already on my list of suggestions to the Corel team I have no idea why they removed it in the first place.

White Knight
11-29-2005, 01:39 PM
Nick, I totally agree that Corel should make the brush-tracking work the way it does in Photoshop.
That seemingly small thing has actually kept me away from painter for a long time.
The closest thing I've come is to use Preferences>General> and selecting 'Torus' from the drop-down.
Not as good but as in PS but it'll have to do until corel improves it.

Sarford
12-06-2005, 11:03 PM
It might be a software-patent owned by Adobe holding them back. If thats the case we can wait another ten years before Corel can fix this. :/

CGTalk Moderation
12-06-2005, 11:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.