PDA

View Full Version : Scripting an animated geometry modifier like Noise? (only different)

jussing
11-11-2005, 02:26 PM
Hey all,

I'm reading up on the documentation this very minute, sorry if this question is redundant.

I want to create an animated geometry modifier that I can apply to a surface, just like the Noise modifier, only I want to write my own math for the deformation method.

Is this possible?

I assume it would be possible to write a frame-by-frame keyframe modification of the geometry, but I also have a feeling this would take forever to execute (I need to run it on a hipoly surface), plus it would create keys for every single vertex on every single frame, and that's a bit nasty.

Thanks in advance for any reply,
- Jonas

PS, I have a feeling I need to write a C++ plugin in the SDK for this, which is why I haven't dug deeper into Maxscript yet - I would like to know if this is even possible, before spending lots of time with Maxscript. :)

j-man
11-11-2005, 02:37 PM
Hi Jonas,

Yes this is possible. It's not even that hard and the MXSHelp offers good information and a good example. Search for plugin in the index and in particular SimpleMod plugins. If you're new to scripting tohugh, I don't think scripted plugins are for the faint hearted but I wouldn't call it advanced either so get reading!

Josh.

jussing
11-11-2005, 02:43 PM
Thank, that's exactly the tip I needed! :thumbsup:

I may be fresh in Maxscripting, but I'm not new to programming in general, so I think I can tackle it. ;)

Thanks a billion,
- Jonas

CGTalk Moderation
11-11-2005, 02:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.