PDA

View Full Version : Next gen Character WIP

tin-tin
11-11-2005, 04:47 AM
I'm doing this on my holiday just got bored, anyway this started of as a blocked out model in max around 1000 polys then sculpted some in zbrush getting some basic shape right, it was a constant swap between max and zbrush, doing the organics in zbrush and non organics in max, somtimes even some armor detail done in zbrush. Its about 45% complete still theres lot to do, the body and head need refining and also more detail on the armor, will be adding a gun belt and shoulder pads.

45% complete and current polycount is about 1 million will be reaching 2 thats the max my system can handle.

http://img495.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nextgenbytintin509hb.jpg

XepptizZ
11-11-2005, 06:52 AM
Don't forget things like scars, imperfections of the skin. That is if you really wanna go next gen (UT2k7 quality).

Cool char, but the right prt of the pic makes it seem as if he's tilting forward:)

itsallgoode9
11-11-2005, 07:13 AM
mmmmm don't really have a crit yet...I would put some better lighting on your character so it can be seen better. that'll probally help you get better input.

Basvas
11-11-2005, 07:19 AM
light background and wires of the low poly morph target .. or will u build the lowpoly around the high one after completion?

TheRedemption
11-11-2005, 03:56 PM
yeah its too early to really crit anything since your only 45% :P once you get to 75% (cant wait for that :D) then we'll see.

its a great start in any case

Confracto
11-11-2005, 06:20 PM
my only comment on the design seems to be that he's got steel boots, and no way to move his ankles.
Otherwise he looks like the guy from doom 3

tin-tin
11-11-2005, 06:56 PM
my only comment on the design seems to be that he's got steel boots, and no way to move his ankles.
Otherwise he looks like the guy from doom 3

Yeah I noticed, There will be a extra part to move his ankles. At the moment boots are done in zbrush not yet finished so i will be adding more detail in max.

Basvas: I will do the low poly after completion, I like to build the hipoly one first as this means I can make many changes to him and not get restricted by the lowpoly one.

XepptizZ: Scars, imperfections will be added and tilting forward thing will be fixed.

Sorry about the lighting will give better ones on the next update.

hyperSasquatch
11-11-2005, 10:36 PM
i like the face... you should post a pic of the face kuz its hard to see it from so far away..

also the breast plate is lookin pretty sweet

i also agree with the fact he looks abit tilted forward.. but it might just be that his chest is perked out

keep er up dude

tin-tin
11-12-2005, 04:27 AM
Ok just a small update, I did a bit of work on the boots and some on the body. I will be working on his hands next, at the moment I'm going through loads of anatomy books to make sure very thing looks ok. let me if his tilting foreward to me it looks ok.

I'm doing eveything pretty damn slowly not that I'm lazy it just max is slow at the moment, hiding and unhiding parts is time consuming.

anyway here petter pics

front

http://img479.imageshack.us/full.php?image=front7wc.jpg

Side
http://img451.imageshack.us/my.php?image=side6wi.jpg

back
http://img451.imageshack.us/full.php?image=back9oy.jpg

rob-beddall
11-12-2005, 05:16 AM
hey!!

i'll try and keep the crits short if possible.
firstly i would like to say that the armor is looking pretty wicked.
though it really does remind me of doom. but if thats what you are going for then great.
now crits on the model.
the face looks really unnatural. there is far too much definition going on there. if you look at a face it's subtle changes in direction and flow that define the details. eg. the line from the top of the nostril to the edge of the mouth is way too defined and it ends in the wrong place. it should lead to the edge of the mouth whereas yours goes round the cheek area. back that off abit.

secondly. the forearms look absolutely massive. they look out of proportion with the rest of the model. he may be muscular but even body builders would have a job trying to get that forearm to bicep ratio.

those are the main 2 crits i noticed.

one other crit i have is on the design of the character.
obviously he is wearing armour. but on the front of the armour you have loads of little, fidly looking delicate pieces of equipment. shouldn't they be sheilded too?

hope my post didn't sound too harsh, and i hope it gave you something to think about.

cheers!!

p.s

666 posts, yes.... i am the anti-christ
:)

tin-tin
11-12-2005, 01:56 PM
Not at all, I will work on those arms and the head. About those bits on the armor well I might move them as I am constantly adding more shape to the armor, I think your right.

Basvas
11-12-2005, 03:20 PM
same crits as rob , i think its important to make the initial shape 'right' before moving in to the details.

XepptizZ
11-14-2005, 12:06 AM
Not at all, I will work on those arms and the head. About those bits on the armor well I might move them as I am constantly adding more shape to the armor, I think your right.

I so hopw it'll look extremely assymetrical in the end.

TheRedemption
11-14-2005, 12:12 AM
my only question is wether or not he will have a shirt on. no way i would do anything that would need that armor unless i had a shirt on.... :p

tin-tin
11-14-2005, 08:16 AM
Here are some improverments I made, given him clothing which I will still improve. changed the head with a fuller face, toned down the arms.

Now the problem I face now is with the model at 1.6m polys, its hard to work in max at the moment as it really slow so I'll have to export into zbrush and do the detail there using masked subd's and doing non organics in zbrush is gonna be hard, oh well.

http://img382.imageshack.us/my.php?image=27cj.jpg

rob-beddall
11-14-2005, 12:02 PM
hey!!

i think he is look ing loads better already.
1 small crit though.
his shirt seems to stick out to far from the arms.
it makes the material of his shirt look REALLY thick. which it may be. just looked a little strange to me though
keep up the good work.

cheers!!

tin-tin
11-15-2005, 01:28 AM
I haven't really decided on the shirt just messing about to see what looks better, at the moment I'm modeling extra gears for him like a combat knife and standard pistol.

tin-tin
11-15-2005, 04:22 AM
I am making big progress now everything's fall into place just the way I want them, oh also got max to render properly. Will put few more things on the boots as looks a bit empty at the mo. The polycount at present is about 1m quads sorry if I said 1.6m on the previous post as max's polycounter is giving the wrong figures. I'll start zbrushing it pretty soon, making it less symetrical at the moment everythings very symetrical.

Thanks guys for all the crit, its been very helpful, I don't realise things until I get a different perspective so keep them comming.

here's the update

http://img493.imageshack.us/my.php?image=nextgenbytintin5029cw.jpg

aintnomeaning
11-15-2005, 07:05 AM
I'm pretty happy with the clothing, so I'm not to comment on that, but the anatomy still has some issues that I would recommend looking at:

1) Hands - I'm not sure if you have modeled the hands that way for rigging, or what, but they are just a bit blocky and straight. The detail is great, but the form is just not working for me.

It's hard to explain since I can't draw it on paper in front of you, but the muscle that moves the thumb is off. I think you have the right idea, but you have just taken it to far.

Also, the top of the hand naturally makes a semicircular/triangular shape from the front (like you were looking from the tips of the fingers up the hand towards the elbow). On yours it appears to be rather flat. Even on very tense hands it retains that shape unless pushing against a flat surface.

2) Lower Arms - Recheck how the biceps connect to the bones of the lower arm, and how the lower arm muscles connect to those of the upper. Also the shape of the muscles that are visible. They should be pretty minor and easy changes using 'move' and 'nudge' in ZBrush that would add a lot to make it more convincing.

If you haven't already, go to Borders and pick up a body-builder mag to see how the more exaggerated muscles look. Often a pain since they are usually in goofy poses, but you can still see the form.

3) Back of neck - The trap muscles build mass on the 'edges' and flatten in the middle, making a trough-like shape as they connect to the head. Yours are, basically, inverted.

-------

Planes are vital, planes are important, planes are good, but straight is pretty hard to find on the body, and I feel that your lower arms are over a little too much on the mechanical end of thing.

It's an inherent issue when you start with boxes, and try to make a human from it.

I'd recommend, instead of just specific issues with the model, that you could benefit from doing a lot more fast gesture drawings from live models so you develop your gestural skills more, and that will benefit your modeling.

Maybe you have done that, I don't know, but it seems like you haven't done so much of it just from looking at the model, and from some of the things you have said (high poly first, etc.)

Just some friendly recommendations, hope they are helpful.

tin-tin
11-16-2005, 03:42 AM
aintnomeaning, thanks for all the helpful suggestion, I'll be going through the anatomy book and practice drawing muscle structures. Good thing is though I haven't done much to the arms or the head just half an hour of zbrush to get the basics in place so there will be major adjustments in order. At the moment I'm about 60% done on the model, I just wanna get all the non organic materials in place then do a proper zbrush session.

Thanks

TheRedemption
11-16-2005, 10:58 AM
keep er going dude, im enjoying watching the charater evolve.

tin-tin
12-29-2005, 08:19 AM
Ok this model had loads off issues, too many o fix. So I have redone the model, using my concept art, inspiration from marvel characters. Its about 50% finished, Just finishing of all the non organics in max then i will zbrush. The lowpoly is nearly finished aswell.

I am going to use Zmapper to make the normalmap, using the projected method.

carakong
12-29-2005, 08:34 AM
Wowee, this guy is coming along nicely, tho the details seemed to be a bit blurred, keep on modelling! good work takes time :bounce:

tin-tin
12-30-2005, 07:19 AM
Heres is a update.

tin-tin
12-31-2005, 03:44 AM
another update, its now in zbrush with subd level 3 about 3 million polys, 4 million is max my system will allow I guess i'm pushing it, fingers crossed zb won't crash.

feel free to comment.

tin-tin
01-01-2006, 06:20 PM
Ok the hipoly is finished, I was suprised how fast zbrush was even with a old p4 3ghz no Hyperthreading and just 1 gig of ram, anyway things i did in zb were using alpha templates, there are extra detail on the armor which i did with templates and also the head was done with a custom alpha brush and some minor dents and scratches to the armor. This is the first time I will use zmapper for a model with a combined non organics material. The low poly is finished just few more tweaks I'll post in the next update.

Sorry I couldn't render it in max few problems exporting

here is a Zb pic.

http://img448.imageshack.us/my.php?image=final0bn.jpg

tin-tin
01-01-2006, 11:27 PM
Here is the low poly, its 4400 tris, I haven't unwrapped it so normalmap yet, I did the low poly using the hipoly as a guide. please crit even bad ones, as this one counts

tin-tin
01-02-2006, 06:14 AM
All unwrapped and with the normalmap applied, still a few few issue with the mouth and hand. Zmapper took a bit long but the output is awesome, best tool so far.

tin-tin
01-03-2006, 06:48 AM
Loads of views but no comments, oh well I'm still smiling:) , anyway another update. I've began texturing doing both heightmap and colormap at the same time, its a slow process but it works. The eyes are just alphas on a plane.

http://img308.imageshack.us/img308/8462/12bv1.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-03-2006, 06:48 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.