PDA

View Full Version : Normal Mapping in Maya 7??

The Challenger
11-11-2005, 02:54 AM
I want to learn how to normal map and I read some stuff on it. But is there anyway to normal map within Maya 7 without having to download plugins? If so, what is the best way of doing so? Any other tips and tricks would help too. Thanks in advance.

Fifth_miracle
11-11-2005, 01:34 PM
Hi, Challenger!

What your looking for is the Surface Sampler tool, you can find it under the modify menu. If you read through the docs their are a couple of good tutorials that should get you started. Be warned though that Maya's way of generating normal maps is slow. The are several normal map generators which are both faster and free, so maybe take a look at thoughs as well.

Hope this helps.

Fifth_miracle
11-11-2005, 01:38 PM
Oh i almost forgot,

Maya 7.0 be default only displays normal maps in hardware render. You'll need a custom shader or you'll have to create a complex shading network to render in software. Do a search in this forum for the js_normalMapper. It's a mental rays shader for normal maps, that makes using them super easy.

Later!

mzee
12-27-2005, 07:25 PM
Anybody can point me to a step by step tutorial or example scenen for the surface sampler?
I tested with a sphere and cube and the map looks OK but not the rendered results.

federimanu
12-28-2005, 03:31 PM
I think in terms of worklfow displacement can be addressed from two angles. First the creation of the shader or shading networks that will INPUT the info into the mesh and then of course the OUTPUT the calculations needed for rendering. Maya 6.0 and up is equiped with the surface approximation and displacement calculation rendering menus, play with this to find the best balance between speed and quality.

mzee
12-28-2005, 04:43 PM
Sorry I should have added that I was thinking of using the surface sampler for normal mapping.

bazuka
12-28-2005, 08:38 PM
why dont u dl this movie and take a look:

http://downloads.alias.com/mkt/gmk_maya7_normals.swf (15mb)

SunTzu69
01-18-2006, 12:13 AM
could anyone suggest some links or info for someone tryign to do it in maya 6? thanks

b.

CGmonkey
02-15-2006, 11:36 AM
could anyone suggest some links or info for someone tryign to do it in maya 6? thanks

b.

I think it's called "texture transfer" or "surface transfer" and is located under rendering.

_vine_
02-20-2006, 06:51 PM
Don't know if you're still looking for an answer regarding Maya 6.0/6.5, but it's called "Transfer Surface Information" and is found under the Rendering (F5) "Lighting/Shading->Transfer Surface Information". Before running it for the first time make sure that you have the plugin "TransferSurfaceInfo.mll" loaded. If you don't have it loaded "Transfer Surface Information" will appear in a light grey color in the menu.

CGTalk Moderation
02-20-2006, 06:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.