PDA

View Full Version : Large Resolution render??? (3300x5100 pixel)

BLee
11-11-2005, 02:14 AM
Hi,
I'm having a trouble to render such a large format with mentay ray render. Please have a look at my attachment below. what I needed to render is that canyon with displacement map assigned. plus final gather turn on. so hopefully anyone could give me some tips to solve this problem. I really thanks in advance.
http://www.cg-guru.com/temp/temp_upload/progress_oct_28d.jpg

YourDaftPunk
11-11-2005, 05:12 AM
You might want to try splitting your large render into 4 or 8 smaller renders. This is called tile rendering.

Thread:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=171211

And a script to do it though I've never tested:
http://www.highend3d.com/maya/downloads/mel_scripts/rendering/mental_ray/3785.html

gl!

MasonDoran
11-11-2005, 07:24 AM
just as a note....I can render 5kx5k with no problems what so ever, although a low end computer will suffer problems. If you dont have much Ram or only a couple gigs of Disk space Mental Ray wont have enough resources to finish the render so you will get a lot of failed renders or crashes.

I had this experience moving from an old and out of date comp to a newer one with plenty of power.

Rendering portions of the image of course should compensate.

Steve McRae
11-11-2005, 01:11 PM
yeah - the size of image that you are able to render and even the bit depth of the image that you are able to use completely depends on 2 things:

a) the complexity of the scene
b) your computer

You can run a batch render with the difference slices rendering one after another.

BLee
11-15-2005, 03:40 PM
Thanks for your feedback guys.
I'm using Dell 8300 with 2 gig Ram so i think it should be my setting on my scene... i will test out that slices rendering.
Thanks for your tips.

doms
11-15-2005, 04:56 PM
Hey Steve, have you actually got the batch working with -reg regions, it didn't work for me (appeared to render but didn't save the images) and i was told it was unsupported unless you had MR standalone (would love to know that was wrong)

Steve McRae
11-15-2005, 06:11 PM
I have not but it would be worth exporing a bit to see if we could get it working. Having mental ray create that huge frame when it is just rendering out a small portion seems like a waste and limits the bit depth you can use on higher res images.

doms
11-15-2005, 11:53 PM
Sorry i should clarify, you can write a .bat file that tells MR to render one region (-reg) which works but you can't queue the jobs up e.g 4 renders doing 1/4 regions. The way around all this appears to be a script on Highend3D that splits the camera back into regions, i think its called tile_render.mel. I've done a rewritten read-me file on how to get it working (assuming your not a programmer).

BLee
11-24-2005, 03:32 PM
Hi guys,
Having trouble to figure out what is the device aspect ratio (1.333???) for Width 1100 pixel x Height 1952 px. can any one tell how to count this ratio thing?. Sorry you can tell i'm not a programmer :) please help.:p

victor
11-24-2005, 04:25 PM
1100 / 1952 = 0.564...

CGTalk Moderation
11-24-2005, 04:25 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.