PDA

View Full Version : Making Xmas Lights

MrQuackers
11-11-2005, 02:16 AM
Hi there, I am new to the whole rendering business in Maya, and I followed a video of a person making good looking glass. It is a blinn material with in the mental ray dropbox, a dielectric material shader. I am trying to make a strand of christmas lights, and I decided to put a point light in each bulb. No matter how high i put the intensity, I can not see any light. My only conclusion is that the blinn material though it refracts, isnt transparent (please correct me if I'm wrong).

So what am I doing wrong, and what are other options to make glass that looks realistic, yet still lets light pass through it? the settings for the dielectric material are.

lightish color (red, green, blue, or yellow) 1.5 Lor, black col_out, and 0.0 Lor out. Any ideas?

AshtonWoolley
11-11-2005, 02:05 PM
Hey man in your maya drop box how you have the dilletric material pluged into the Materail Plug it in also to the Phon! ( Think its 3 down) Also connect the light to the material. if that doesn't work get back to me! The diletric plug into the phon as well will make the object pbeable to pass light threw it im sorry i cant be more help mdo not have amya open in front of me and the icurrent time, getback to me if you have any problems but also try connecting the lights to the shader!

ASW

CGTalk Moderation
11-11-2005, 02:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.