PDA

View Full Version : Animation Script: 1 min = 2 pages?

Cyro
11-11-2005, 12:35 AM
My script writing teacher told me in flim, 1 min is equal to 1 page of script. But in a book I bought that talks about scripting for animation, it says 1 min is equal to 2 pages. Why is that?

tcbcoolscene
11-11-2005, 01:52 AM
Because it has to be much more detailed when it comes to movements. Its really up to the director for lots of the stuff in real life, movements and such, an animator will need as much info as they can. I guess that could be the reason.

Megalodon
11-11-2005, 07:06 AM
I believe that it basically depends on the writer and how much detail is described. You can have a standard (i.e. non-animated) script that has one page which equates to 5 minutes on screen. The one page per minute is just an average. Conversely, you can have 5 pages of script = one minute of screen time. Writing style and quantity of description will set the pace. Writer A may write an animation script that equates to 2 pages per screen minute while writer B may have the same amount of screen time while writing only one page. How much detail can you describe succinctly? :)

Megalodon

dbates
11-11-2005, 02:16 PM
Like my film-making book says: Beware of paragraphs that say things like "We see the Crimean War begin".

dees
11-29-2005, 09:49 PM
I'm not a pro with script writing, but.......

I bet Megalodon is correct. Details matter, freedom or render slave.

Some of the animators are given a creative aspect with key-movements and everything (that turns down the size of script significantly). Bad thing is, uncreative mind equals to "boring" quality render /animation instead of creative "clown of the year" animator.

And I bet there are also a script guideline for every aspect within the animation with highdetailed explanations too. Side effects are headache, time consuming on the script making and animating too, NOT timetable friendly, etc etc

If we take a look at a movie script (non-animation), there are also details and most of the part are left for the directors /actors-actresses to play with. If you put the word "animation" that just make it longer than it seems..... but I bet there's a -paragraph- for 5 minute details.

CGTalk Moderation
11-29-2005, 09:49 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.