PDA

View Full Version : Rendering 10x22 feet!

greg3000
11-10-2005, 11:32 PM
My friends,

I've been tasked with creating a 10x22 foot billboard and C4D is my native 3D package so....

I know we have the 25tile camera that can help me split my image up but I don't think that will be enough. Has anyone modified the 25tile camera to use more frames? Is this my only option? Thanks in advance for any input on the subject.

Greg

n0rac7
11-10-2005, 11:44 PM
Thats insane lol.:)
Good luck, thats like a 3 month render.

greg3000
11-11-2005, 12:01 AM
Well what I was thinking calculating the maximum resolution per frame that C4D allows me, then applying the 25tile camera to the whole scene. Then I can convert the 25tile camera current state into 25 actual cameras. I could theoretically apply 25tile cam to each of those original cameras but the trick would be shifting the camera movement over 25 frames for each of the original cameras and I've never done that (but might be easy). Can anyone dispute that this should theoretically work? I would end up with 625 frames.

dann_stubbs
11-11-2005, 12:37 AM
My friends,

I've been tasked with creating a 10x22 foot billboard and C4D is my native 3D package so....

I know we have the 25tile camera that can help me split my image up but I don't think that will be enough. Has anyone modified the 25tile camera to use more frames? Is this my only option? Thanks in advance for any input on the subject.

well i made the 25 tile camera based off the 9 tile camera - i thought about making a bigger version but i don't think anybody in their right mind would want to have to manually paste more tiles together : )

you really don't need too high DPI for billboard res since the average viewing distance is quite far away...

dann

mustardseed
11-11-2005, 01:41 AM
Hi Greg,

As Dann said, large format banner/billboard printing is mostly done on low resolution inkjet, so all your beautifully rendered pixels won't reproduce in very high quality. In my experience, you'll only need up to 150dpi max for any large format printer. I've gotten away with as low as 90-100dpi. So you definitely shouldn't be rendering at billboard size at 300dpi.

Another thing you can try is to render even smaller, and size it up with software like PhotoZoom (aka S-Spline), Genuine Fractals, or SizeFixer from FixerLabs. Then with a little post-work in PS and it should be print-ready.

I use S-Spline and I've done up to 400% interpolations with hardly any perceptible quality loss on the final print. Something about upsizing CG makes it looks less CG-ish too.

STRAT
11-11-2005, 07:55 AM
i myself have just rendered a billboard image straight out of c4d at 22 foot long. so very similar to yours.

the question you must answer is what dpi your printers will be printing the image at. i doubt it'll be anything higher than 50 dpi if that.

i rendered my image at 15000 pixels in a single camera @ the standard 72 dpi. this equated to about 22 foot long @ 60 dpi. spot on it was.

Newstream
11-11-2005, 10:55 AM
Hi Greg,
You might want to check this (http://www.signindustry.com/outdoor/articles/2001-03-19-viewingDistance.php3#story) out.
Good luck.
/ Alex

greg3000
11-12-2005, 09:33 PM
Thanks for your insight. It's nice to talk about something before you haul off and do it.

At 150 dpi, 66x30 inches would be 9900x4500 - and that's 25% size.

So we would need 39600x18000 at 150dpi to fill a 22x10 foot space.

That would be 79200x36000 at 300dpi which we can luckily avoid.

39600 x 18000 split into 25 frames = 7920x3600 is much better to deal with, though still pretty large for a single frame.

@Badtastic: thanks for the link... wow 2 to 20 dpi they say is average for a billboard

@Strat: thanks so much for your input, it's great to hear from someone that's just done this. also 60dpi is super reasonable, thats great!

@Dann: wow now that I know who authored it, I can't thank you enough for the 25tile camera... thanks!!! I do believe you're right, understanding what dpi is used for these billboards shows that I don't really need it... even if I do render it at 150dpi I guess the printers that print that material for the billboard probably won't even be that resolution. ...but let's say they were able to, would you try and further split the 7920x3600 frames up?

@mustard seed: thank you, I'm going to check with the printer and see how high I can actually go. Also, S-Spline is amazing, thanks for the suggestion!

Thanks for your input friends,
Greg

dann_stubbs
11-12-2005, 09:44 PM
[font=Verdana]@Dann: wow now that I know who authored it, I can't thank you enough for the 25tile camera... thanks!!! I do believe you're right, understanding what dpi is used for these billboards shows that I don't really need it... even if I do render it at 150dpi I guess the printers that print that material for the billboard probably won't even be that resolution. ...but let's say they were able to, would you try and further split the 7920x3600 frames up?

no way would i bother going higher res. you could uprez in photoshop to that final size if you really needed and it would probably look a bit better as it would soften the image a bit - i'd even add a bit of noise in PS to help break the image up - they tend to look better that way on a banner printer and helps prevent or lessen any banding etc.

dann

tcastudios
11-12-2005, 09:51 PM
For a concert-backdrop I did last year (about 10 by 6 meters) the printer worked with 23DPI. So the render was about 11000 x 5500 pixels. Looked great.

Cheers
Lennart

acmepixel
11-13-2005, 03:56 AM
There's no reason to ever render larger than 8 inches by ten inches at 600 dpi. From that image size, any enlargement can be made using Genuine Fractals (or it's competitor) to produce sharp posters and billboards as large as 30 feet. I have never needed to render out of Cinema larger than 6000 pixels. With fractal enlargment plugins like Genuine Fractals, there's just no need.

They work the same way Live Picture used to... by converting the pixels into math. Once converted, any output size can be created with no loss of image quality.

greg3000
11-14-2005, 02:55 PM
Cool guys! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the advice! :bowdown:

CGTalk Moderation
11-14-2005, 02:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.