PDA

View Full Version : Mentalray Satellite questions (multiple connections, remote output progress)

Shaocaholica
11-10-2005, 03:30 PM
I setup a few mr satellites today and everything seems to be working fine. MR progress output says that render tasks are being offloaded onto the satellites. Here are some questions I have that I can't seem to find the alias documentation:

1)Do the satellites accept multiple master connections concurrently and if so, how do they handle it?

ie. one satellite recieves render tasks from 2 masters at the same time (multiple masters using the same rayhosts file).

2)Is there a way to get the satellites to output their activity/progress(to a console/terminal)?

3)If there are more than 8 satellites in the rayhosts file, will the first 8 in the list get used (unlimited license)? Or will the first 8 idle get used? Is there any load balancing?

ie. Say I have 4 master machines and 20 machines total. Can I setup a pool of 16 satellites and each master will choose any 8(unlimited license) based on their current load/queue?

4)Does a hyperthreaded P4 count as 2 satellite CPUs? Because 8 physical P4s are better than 8 logical P4s anyday.

CGTalk Moderation
11-10-2005, 03:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.